Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 03:26 PM

501 posts, read 528,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sir or ma'am, I've been Black all my life. I attended majority Black elementary and middle schools (my high school was 50/50 Black and White) and was born and raised in a two-parent household (and my parents are still married today) as did the majority of my classmates so cut the crap about "you must have never had experience in an inner city school" and "the 'good Blacks' agree with me." We don't all live in hell with 'nothing to lose,' despite what some ignoramus you may support might say...not by a long shot.

I posted actual statistics that absolutely prove there is racial discrimination when it comes to discipline in schools. All you have is emotional rhetoric without a shred of data to support any of your assertions. As a matter of fact, you didn't even read the articles I posted because you actually thought the Huffington Post authored that one study. They merely reported the findings of the study that was conducted by the Discipline Disparities Research-to-Practice Collaborative, which included 26 experts from fields such as advocacy, policy, social science, and law. They utilized several research studies as well as DOE data to arrive at their conclusions. I know folks like you don't think much of science and research though...you'll always find a way to discount objective, verifiable data coming from experts that doesn't fit into your "Make America Great Again" ideology, which is quite sad.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that people refuse to believe that discrimination still exists in American society when we're only two generations or so removed from an era when Black people didn't even have basic protections under the law afforded to other citizens. You think LBJ just snapped his fingers and it all went away? Surely things are better now compared to the Civil Rights era, but there's still work to be done. Sorry if that truth bothers you, even though nobody said every White person is personally responsible for the current state of affairs. I don't know why you think that's the case.
When I was teaching, practically every time I took a black kid to the office, it was the same old crap: You're just punishing me because I'm black. That is the case with most white teachers that work in inner-city schools. Black kids can call you any nasty name imaginable and get by with it. They do it every day. Respect from them is rare. I never discriminated against anyone and always gave 100 percent helping all my students. I seems like you were one of those poor picked on kids that blamed skin color. Yea, sure. You're still doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Who told you this? It's not true. l
It's absolutely true. I live a couple of blocks over from one of the parents who brought the suit.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Who told you this? It's not true. l
It's absolutely true. And if you bothered to take the time to understand the actual lawsuit, you will find the arguments of those parents revolved around forcing kids to go to schools long distances away when there were much closer neighborhood schools.

Swain didn't enter the picture until a group of Black parents filed a lawsuit based on it and it ended up backfiring on them.

BTW, the information you googled up from the NYT was simply cut & pasted from CMS's own website. (such journalism)
http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/mediaroom/a...s/History.aspx

Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteeean View Post
Actually, the New Yorker is a national magazine that has a long history of pulitzer prize winning journalists. They cover stories around the globe, and most of their readers are not actually located in NY.
The Charlotte Observer was also a pulitzer prize winning paper covering stories around the globe. Your point?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:53 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's absolutely true. And if you bothered to take the time to understand the actual lawsuit, you will find the arguments of those parents revolved around forcing kids to go to schools long distances away when there were much closer neighborhood schools.

Swain didn't enter the picture until a group of Black parents filed a lawsuit based on it and it ended up backfiring on them.

BTW, the information you googled up from the NYT was simply cut & pasted from CMS's own website. (such journalism)
History of CMS
Did you ask the family which school they wanted to attend? The suit was brought by parents seeking access to Olde Providence...hardly next door to Davidson. I included the summary from the the CMS site as it is an accurate one. Your summary, however is not.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Of course proximity is an argument that was made...they also argued that the system was already desegregated and didn't need prescriptive action...wonder how well that argument would hold up now?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Did you ask the family which school they wanted to attend? The suit was brought by parents seeking access to Olde Providence...hardly next door to Davidson. I included the summary from the the CMS site as it is an accurate one. Your summary, however is not.
First of all, the topic isn't about me.

Second, you are wrong again. One of the plaintiffs was Larry Gauvreau who lived in Huntersville at the time. He was later elected to the CMS Board.

Furthermore, here is an article written at the time.

Anti-busing suit touches a deep nerve in Charlotte
Willard says his children are bused 10 miles from home, passing six closer schools, to attend an elementary school that was specifically built midway between black and white neighborhoods for integration purposes. But teachers, he says, were not given adequate resources to deal with the students from impoverished backgrounds who have greater needs - by which he means the black students.
Just as I stated.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 10-17-2016 at 08:41 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 08:51 PM

You're right that proximity was an argument made. Still doesn't make your first statement true.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
You're right that proximity was an argument made. Still doesn't make your first statement true.
What I said was absolutely true.

You link a race huckstering topic from a NY rag that attempts to condemn the residents of Charlotte. Yet when a real examination of the facts are revealed, we find that reality is much different from what the rag that wrote the article tries to put forth.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
You listen to brainless community leaders too much. You should go out and volunteer. I know you don't because if you did, you would not say stupid things like teachers discriminate against blacks with discipline, etc.

To be honest, I did my hell teaching inner-city schools. I don't care about the future in city schools. They haven't improved in 50 years despite everything possible to raise learning abilities, parental involvement, etc. It isn't my concern, just my opinion that people should not defy. Arguing is doing nothing.

There were some really good black students that I enjoyed teaching. Strangely, most of them had military parents and disciplined their children when needed. Besides, if a commander gets a phone call that a military member''s child is disruptive, the military member is called under the carpet and has to answer for it. God, I love the military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
When I was teaching, practically every time I took a black kid to the office, it was the same old crap: You're just punishing me because I'm black. That is the case with most white teachers that work in inner-city schools. Black kids can call you any nasty name imaginable and get by with it. They do it every day. Respect from them is rare. I never discriminated against anyone and always gave 100 percent helping all my students. I seems like you were one of those poor picked on kids that blamed skin color. Yea, sure. You're still doing it.
You are beyond hopeless.

Just stay away from classrooms, umkay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte