Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 01:39 PM

501 posts, read 529,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You are beyond hopeless.

Just stay away from classrooms, umkay?
You have failed in all cases to come up with something of substance, just your idiotic "stay away from classrooms," etc. Either add a sensible rebuttal or find a thread that caters to dummies that rant while adding nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 03:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
First of all, the topic isn't about me.

Second, you are wrong again. One of the plaintiffs was Larry Gauvreau who lived in Huntersville at the time. He was later elected to the CMS Board.

Furthermore, here is an article written at the time.

Anti-busing suit touches a deep nerve in Charlotte
Willard says his children are bused 10 miles from home, passing six closer schools, to attend an elementary school that was specifically built midway between black and white neighborhoods for integration purposes. But teachers, he says, were not given adequate resources to deal with the students from impoverished backgrounds who have greater needs - by which he means the black students.
Just as I stated.
Did you really just link an article from the Baltimore Sun after posting this:

Quote:
Interesting how rags like the New Yorker like to talk about problems in Charlotte all while ignoring the same issues where they are located.
Also, Huntersville is not Davidson and it's a lot further than 10 miles from Davidson to Pineville.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
You have failed in all cases to come up with something of substance, just your idiotic "stay away from classrooms," etc. Either add a sensible rebuttal or find a thread that caters to dummies that rant while adding nothing.
I provided substance--factual, verifiable data from scholars across several fields, and from several legitimate sources--and you flippantly dismissed it because they demolish your "arguments" and inserted completely irrelevant personal anecdotes that I assume you perceived as a rebuttal. You simply cannot be reasoned with. You deduce that I haven't volunteered because I believe that discrimination against students of color still happens; that doesn't even logically follow. Your logic is beyond juvenile.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:29 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteeean View Post
The Charlotte Observer is a joke compared to the New Yorker.....
This is simply your opinion. It's obvious in writing the story which the OP linked they had a pre-determined narrative then cherry picked facts to support it. The fact they completely ignored the main argument of the parents who brought the suit is testimate to this.

i.e. They are no different than any other tabloid out there these days.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteeean View Post
Why don't you show us this examination from a respectable news source?
Go read the actual lawsuit and subsequent opinion of the court. Those ARE facts and are not in dispute.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Did you really just link an article from the Baltimore Sun after posting this:

Also, Huntersville is not Davidson and it's a lot further than 10 miles from Davidson to Pineville.
What facts in the Baltimore Sun article do you state are incorrect?

And I listed Larry Gauverau to counter a point. He is well known as he was later elected to the CMS board. One of the parents in the lawsuit was a resident of Davidson.

If you were trying to make some sort of point, I don't see it.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:40 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
Quote:
This is simply your opinion. It's obvious in writing the story which the OP linked they had a pre-determined narrative then cherry picked facts to support it. The fact they completely ignored the main argument of the parents who brought the suit is testimate to this.

i.e. They are no different than any other tabloid out there these days.

Need more details. I think you want to ignore the dire circumstances of the greater # of students in gutted schools that have suffered from the resegregation and choose to call the article that profiles the narrative as "tabloid". What's the true story? What can you share to show that Charlottes schools are better off now?

Is Charlottes recent rank of 50/50 for economic mobility for our poorest children unrelated? Is it worth saving gas and drive time for Larry Gavreau? Would Larry argue that the schools are naturally desegregated and don't require efforts like busing as his lawyers did 15 years ago?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Need more details. I think you want to ignore the dire circumstances of the greater # of students in gutted schools that have suffered from the resegregation and choose to call the article that profiles the narrative as "tabloid". What's the true story? What can you share to show that Charlottes schools are better off now?

Is Charlottes recent rank of 50/50 for economic mobility for our poorest children unrelated? Is it worth saving gas and drive time for Larry Gavreau? Would Larry argue that the schools are naturally desegregated and don't require efforts like busing as his lawyers did 15 years ago?

Resegregation? Name one school in CMS where Black children are not allowed to attend and/or do not attend.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:11 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
Quote:
Resegregation? Name one school in CMS where Black children are not allowed to attend and/or do not attend.
This article profiles the trend. Are you really not aware of the resegregation of the schools?

Can Charlotte-Mecklenburg Desegregate Its Schools ... Again?

Does the lack of a policy mean that it can't happen?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
What facts in the Baltimore Sun article do you state are incorrect?

And I listed Larry Gauverau to counter a point. He is well known as he was later elected to the CMS board. One of the parents in the lawsuit was a resident of Davidson.

If you were trying to make some sort of point, I don't see it.
I don't have a problem with the Baltimore Sun article, but the New Yorker article does probably have more facts. The Baltimore Sun article was mostly just quotes from kids and parents. I just find it quite hypocritical that you would dismiss the New Yorker article for not focusing on issues in their own city, while at the same time quoting an article from a newspaper in Baltimore of all places.

I think the main comment Essequamvideri disagreed with was the one stating that students were bused from Davidson to Pineville. Nothing you've posted proves that was true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte