Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

And now they are going up. How did this happen??? I moved here to get away from high taxes!!!

Okay. Not my whine . . . just wondering what you all think about the newcomers who have moved here b/c of the "bargain tax rates" and now are whining (boo hooing) about taxes.

Am I being too critical? Did people who came here not realize that we would need to improve our roads and build more schools in order to accommodate them here?

I mean . . . seems to me . . . if anyone should be upset about taxes, it would be the longtime residents (especially those on fixed incomes) who did not anticipate the Charlotte Boom . . . (or UC boom, in case of UC residents) . . . and so are upset about their escalating tax bill. But instead, I saw two people on TV tonite - both transplants - who are complaining that they came here to get away from high taxes . . . and now they are upset b/c taxes are going up here.

Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM

628 posts, read 2,077,677 times
Simply put....to improve schools, roads, and public services....money is needed. With the population increasing all these services need to be improved ( a few of them are seriously lagging behind the times). Taxes obviously will go up. They still aren't close to NYC. I just hope that the politicians are fiscally responsible with the increased monies and it goes back into the community and not wasted on ridiculous crap or into the pockets of their backers like NYC

Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Simply put....to improve schools, roads, and public services....money is needed. With the population increasing all these services need to be improved ( a few of them are seriously lagging behind the times). Taxes obviously will go up. They still aren't close to NYC. I just hope that the politicians are fiscally responsible with the increased monies and it goes back into the community and not wasted on ridiculous crap or into the pockets of their backers like NYC
The voice of reason! Thank you, Brklyn2Clt. I appreciate hearing someone state the obvious without resentment! It takes $$ to make the improvements we need in our infrastructure!!!

So why are some people whining - when the taxes are still much lower than they were paying b/f they moved here?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM

362 posts, read 995,002 times
Actually Ani I think you are spot on. Yes I do want to move there but obviously with what was the number 80,000 people a year moving to NC taxes are going to increase. I remarked to my husband the other night that I hope by the time we get there the taxes aren't the same as NJ. LOL. Actually I think you have a ways to go to get to these levels. But I do feel bad for the people who have lived there forever. And I agree if anyone has the right to complain it is them. Change is definately a double-edged sword.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I saw two people on TV tonite - both transplants - who are complaining that they came here to get away from high taxes . . . and now they are upset b/c taxes are going up here.

Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?
Taxes were part of our consideration when evaluating the area, having previously lived in TN and TX where there is no state income tax. It took very little research to discover that NC has some of the highest taxes in the southeast. Some things were a surprise to us but overall it was 'part of the package'.

Perhaps some folks didn't understand that with increases in growth increases in taxes are predictable and expected.
Perhaps these are some of the same people mentioned in the another thread who came her without job prospects and then are complaining that they have no job.

That being said, I fuss about taxes too, mostly because of wasteful spending though. If I was paying more but feeling like I was getting more for the money I may feel differently.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM

70 posts, read 272,325 times
We are considering moving to the NC area. Can you tell me how the taxes are going up?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
Actually Ani I think you are spot on. Yes I do want to move there but obviously with what was the number 80,000 people a year moving to NC taxes are going to increase. I remarked to my husband the other night that I hope by the time we get there the taxes aren't the same as NJ. LOL. Actually I think you have a ways to go to get to these levels. But I do feel bad for the people who have lived there forever. And I agree if anyone has the right to complain it is them. Change is definately a double-edged sword.
Change can be a double-edged sword - you are right . . . I personally do not mind my taxes going up (in small increments) if it means improvements to our City. We want to be a world class city . . . we have to pay for that.

Of course, I don't want to see my taxes triple or quadruple!!! But everyone knows taxes always go up as cities grow . . .

I have found it so odd that the people who are complaining the most are not the longtime residents.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I think a lot of people would willingly pay even more than the new increase for certain things- like the completion of 485 or the widening of 77.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default Our taxes

are so low that it didn't even phase us...did they go up a lot? How much on the dollar now?

I am all for raising taxes if it means more police and better roads!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Taxes were part of our consideration when evaluating the area, having previously lived in TN and TX where there is no state income tax. It took very little research to discover that NC has some of the highest taxes in the southeast. Some things were a surprise to us but overall it was 'part of the package'.

Perhaps some folks didn't understand that with increases in growth increases in taxes are predictable and expected.
Perhaps these are some of the same people mentioned in the another thread who came her without job prospects and then are complaining that they have no job.

That being said, I fuss about taxes too, mostly because of wasteful spending though. If I was paying more but feeling like I was getting more for the money I may feel differently.
Well, seems to me everyone enjoys complaining SOME about taxes, LOL. It is like the weather - something we all can talk about!!! But grumbling some about taxes is not odd . . . acting really incensed and offended b/c the municipality you moved to had the AUDACITY to raise your taxes when you moved here specifically to GET AWAY from taxes . . . just seems like a strange attitude, LOL.

I think you are onto something . . . maybe some people are just going complain when everything is not perfect in the area they decided to move to. Maybe those people are gonna whine no matter where they live!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte