Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 AM

457 posts, read 1,178,636 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where this can be purchased? Otherwise can anyone recommend a carpet store that they think might be able to order it? Maybe a carpet store in a fancy neighborhood? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
I don't know of any companies that carry formaldehyde-free carpeting, but here is a link that discusses the subject and mentions several manufacturers who have incorporated various materials to be more "green" and allow for safer recycling. You may want to contact them and see if any of them are actually manufacturing the carpet and can provide you w/ the names of vendors in the region who carry it.

ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE CARPET CHOICES (http://www.metrokc.gov/procure/green/carpet.htm - broken link)

Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks Ani. I know it's an obscure request. You're link is a great start.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 18,676 times
Smile carpet

There are dealers in the Charlotte are that carry a Formaldehyde Free Carpet.
Floor Coverings International is one 704-329-9543.
Creative Floorcovering is another 704-847-3080.
This is Kraus Carpets Green Choice Collection.
These are also Green Label Plus certified and feature mold/mildew protection.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,804,898 times
I never knew there was formaldehyde in carpeting? Is this something (else) that I need to worry about with young children?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 PM

450 posts, read 2,322,992 times
This seems like a good thread to interject this question- I'm not trying to sidetrack the thread but am wondering if formaldehyde in carpeting might be the thing.....

We built a new house and after moving in, we noticed a SMELL that was really awful in the master bath and closet, the other bath, and the laundry room. It smells (well-smelled) a lot like male cat/tomcat urine! It was so awful I wanted to cry, no amount of cleaning or soaking cleaning products in the toilets would take away the smell and I started to have a fit, thinking that the neighbor's tomcat must have gotten in an open door or window during construction and sprayed some walls!

We finally determined that the smell seemed to be our *water*, so I called the water department to get them to flush the line and see about getting our water analyzed. It was simply horrible just after showering and seemed to center around the toilets and washing machine otherwise.

Are you with me so far? Well, this thinking (that it was our water) didn't explain why our CLOSET smelled so strongly after a shower, too. The water department actually asked us if we had a new house, or had new carpet put in recently. They said NEW carpet, especially berber (which ours is NOT berber, but IS new) puts out "a chemical" that stays in the air and reacts with the chemicals in the water, that had recently been extra treated for a month. They described the resulting odor as a pee smell!

I have no idea if this is true. My husband put a good filtration system on the whole house and this helped, but we still have problem areas right at the toilets and washing machine- the house no longer reeks when we use the shower though. Can this be the formaldehyde in carpet? if so, I can see why someone would be looking for carpet that does not contain this! We're putting hardwoods down ASAP..

Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 AM

Well BlueLilly I'm not any kind of carpet expert. The only insight I can shed is that in my last house I installed carpet in my den & took an entire year & a half for the chemical smell to go away. It is well known that the chemical you smell in carpet is formaldehyde. I knew better than to settle for "regular" carpet, but I was busy so I didn't bother seeking it out. The off-gassing of chemicals in one's house is pretty disgusting & I hope that anyone who reads this at least tries to shop from those healthier choices listed by the poster above 'robertjthomas'. I mean why live with chemicals when it's just as easy not to? I hope one day it becomes the norm like low-VOC paint. I think it will if we vote with our dollars.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 18,676 times
Default Chemicals in carpet

I have been in the flooring business for many years so perhaps I can help here.
The new carpet smell is unavoidable as in the new car smell. If the occupants are sensitive to new smells it is advisable to ask the carpet retailer to unwrap the carpet and perhaps reroll the carpet while in their warehouse 24-48 hours before installation. The carpet cushion can be aired out as well. This smell will normally dissapate with adequate ventilation in 24 hours.
The Carpet and Rug Institute tests and certifies carpets for Low VOC emissions www.carpet-rug.org
Look for GREEN LABEL PLUS certified carpets. Also available are Anti-Microbial carpets to prevent mold and mildew growth on the underside of the carpet.
All in all carpet is healthy for your home as it traps dust and allergens to be vacuumed up that otherwise will be free to agitate the noses of three foot high humans that otherwise is getting kicked up on hard surface floors. Not to mention it is a lot more comfortable to sit and play on.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,150,448 times
If you read up on it, there is no formaldehyde in carpet. Hasn't been for many years. I don't know where people get these ideas. Except that DR Oz said on his show that it had it. Just more of the misinformation he spreads to promote his show.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 PM

529 posts, read 1,205,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If you read up on it, there is no formaldehyde in carpet. Hasn't been for many years. I don't know where people get these ideas. Except that DR Oz said on his show that it had it. Just more of the misinformation he spreads to promote his show.
Bumping a 5-year old thread on alleged carpet formaldehyde doesn't exactly help your cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte