Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,507 times

Advertisements

I have a wooded area behind my house with weeds growing out of control (including poison ivy) after I spent weeks trying to clean the area up. We put down granules to control the weeds, but they do not seem to be helping. It is a large area, and I am considering putting down pine needles after I get the weeds under control. If I do this, what happens in the winter when the leaves fall? Is there an easy way to rake up the leaves without disturbing the pine needles which would be laying underneath? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for curbing the weeds/overgrowth in this area, especially the poison ivy?

Another question I have is about seeding. We had our backyard graded recently (it has a sloping hill), matting & straw put down, and seeded. The grass is starting to grow in some areas, but not in others. The matting is there to control erosion, but it seems like it would have to be removed to get the grass to grow. Does this seem logical? Any suggestions to get the grass to grow back there quicker - maybe aerating & reseeding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I have a wooded area behind my house with weeds growing out of control (including poison ivy) after I spent weeks trying to clean the area up. We put down granules to control the weeds, but they do not seem to be helping. It is a large area, and I am considering putting down pine needles after I get the weeds under control. If I do this, what happens in the winter when the leaves fall? Is there an easy way to rake up the leaves without disturbing the pine needles which would be laying underneath? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for curbing the weeds/overgrowth in this area, especially the poison ivy?

Another question I have is about seeding. We had our backyard graded recently (it has a sloping hill), matting & straw put down, and seeded. The grass is starting to grow in some areas, but not in others. The matting is there to control erosion, but it seems like it would have to be removed to get the grass to grow. Does this seem logical? Any suggestions to get the grass to grow back there quicker - maybe aerating & reseeding?
To get rid of poison ivy, I use Brush Be Gone. Keep away from it after it dies for 1 year. Then pull it out.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
To get rid of poison ivy, I use Brush Be Gone. Keep away from it after it dies for 1 year. Then pull it out.
Where do you get this? Is it something you spray on or is it granular? Will it work on all the other overgrown weeds too?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Will it kill the trees?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
We use a spray on herbicide for brush and ivy (can't think of the name right off). The area has been cleared for a year and we are still spraying monthly. Our neighbors, who have had their brush cleared for several years, only have to spray a few times a year. None of us use pine needles, the leaves make enough of a ground cover.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Forget about growing grass now...the days are getting too warm and you'd have to constantly water it to get it in somewhat full.....you're wasting good money...

Wait till mid-late september/ early october when the days are cooler..

Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Will it kill the trees?
No.

A lot behind me used to be wooded. I'm constantly fighting poison ivy & Virginia Creeper. RoundUp (& similar versions) works well if I fnid them when the vines are small. If they get in an area where I miss it, They will come back. Brush Be Gone costs more but is cheaper in the long run. It will kill the vine with one application. If it gets on the tree trunk don't worry.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-15-2008 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Where do you get this? Is it something you spray on or is it granular? Will it work on all the other overgrown weeds too?
It's a spray that can be bought at the garden centers. Use RoundUp or the Bayer version of RoundUp for the regular weeds. Read the instructions for application timing(how long before rain).

Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times
You can buy Brush b Gone in a concentrated form and then buy a sprayer that attaches to your hose. Lowes, Home Depot, or any garden center should have them. That way you can spray a large area and you don't have to pump anything or pull any triggers over and over and over. It is the ONLY thing that worked on our poison ivy (we had vines that were over two inches thick).

Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
You can buy Brush b Gone in a concentrated form and then buy a sprayer that attaches to your hose. Lowes, Home Depot, or any garden center should have them. That way you can spray a large area and you don't have to pump anything or pull any triggers over and over and over. It is the ONLY thing that worked on our poison ivy (we had vines that were over two inches thick).
I've just used the ready-mix because you have more control of it, but then mine wasn't 2 inches thick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte