Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

With gas prices up, are you taking a vacation this year? Are you staying close to home?

We have so many wonderful opportunities for great day trips . . . any of you putting together a vacation close to home and planning on doing things nearby the CLT area?

For ex . . . don't forget Carowinds . . . or our state zoo . . . or the mountains.

Tell us what you are planning or offer suggestions to others who may be wondering what they can do "close to home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 AM

124 posts, read 440,582 times
We were thinking of a relaxing weekend of fishing and camping in beautiful Cane Creek Park

Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Oh, wow, BklynGal . . .nice link! I have to admit - I have never been there! But now that I have seen it . . . I am having guests w/ children in 2 weeks and this looks like a really nice day trip. Thank you so much for sharing!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 AM

444 posts, read 1,649,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
We were thinking of a relaxing weekend of fishing and camping in beautiful Cane Creek Park
Wonderful place to camp, fish and relax!!

Dunroven

Old 05-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
Wonderful place to camp, fish and relax!!

Dunroven
Dunroven, I continually am amazed at the things I have yet to discover in this region. I learn here every day!!!

I hope others will tell us about spots they enjoy going . . .

Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
I went to South Mountains State Park last week and it looks like a good place for a summer swimming hole or camping. I took photos of High Shoals waterfall, the blooming mountain laurels and the monster of steps to climb lol but my they are on my partner camera when I get them I will post them.

The park includes elevations up to 3,000 feet, a waterfall dropping 80 feet and more than 40 miles of trails. From equestrian camping to trout fishing, mountain biking to picnicking

I havent picnic by a waterfall in so long I am way over due but I am waiting til the air in the 90's so I can take a dip as well.

We went last Tuesday and the afternoon temperatures was in the mid 80's but you couldnt tell it due to all the tree shade.
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to South Mountains State Park

I took my sheltie bless her heart I think that is most exercise she has ever had in one day. She normally likes to lead but by the time we was going down the mountain she was in the back.

It is only a hour and half from Charlotte in Connelly Springs, NC that is between Hickory and Morganton. You just take highway 27 to highway 18 to get there.

The South Mountains served as a buffer zone between the Cherokee and the Catawba Indians, and the first European settlers in the area farmed the fertile land along the Catawba River

Water winding through the park to the Catawba River cuts deep into the terrain, forming rugged and steep slopes. The most spectacular feature in the park is High Shoals Falls on Jacob's Fork River. Here, a torrent of water drops 80 feet over a cliff face of bare rock. In addition, Chestnut Knob offers tranquility and a magnificent view of surrounding peaks and ridges

Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 AM

Oh - Sunny - great post and link!

Promise you will post those pictures . . . I have not thought about this park for decades! I have been here but many years ago. I am now looking forward to going back.

Your furkid must have had a blast! For a bouncy sheltie to be a'draggin' - well, had to be a great day!

Thanks for the great recommendation . . .

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
In October I will be here:

Southwest Virginia Cabin - Home

For 5 days with the Martinsville race mixed in.

But to answer the OP, gas prices had nothing to do with it, my 3 brothers and I get together and go to a different nascar track every year.

They will be renting a van a coming from upstate NY.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:17 AM

422 posts, read 1,366,468 times
We are going for a long weekend to the Charleston area at the end of the month. Yes, the gas will be a pain since we have an SUV. But to make up the difference, we are staying outside of Charleston and in between Folly Beach. We are staying for $129 a night!!!

We will wake up in the morning and enjoy the beach all day, then drive into Charleston for a great dinner!!!! Then the next 2 days- Beach again and again and lots of exploring!!!!!!

Im so excited we need a break and we are being really concious of spending. The hotel kind of sucks ;-) BUT WHO CARES!!!! As long as we are together!!!!!!!

Oh, and the best part..... we are getting married in Charleston next year, so on Monday we planned our "tasting" so we will have a free meal!!!!!!!! hehehehe.......

Old 05-11-2008, 10:30 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,266 times
Funny, I am cleaning out files in preparing to move and last night I found postcards from NC from a vacation and a brochure/map of the High Country. I checked the distance from Charlotte - 100 miles
I love the Blue Ridge Parkway and look forward to revisiting that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte