Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times

Advertisements

I tend to agree Vindaloo, but as I stated in another thread last week about this topic (when we were trying to guess who it would be), I've seen staff over looked EVERY time in 3 out of 3 cities I'm familiar with. As a matter of fact, it happened 3 times at one fo the cities. And at another one, they did in fact put the deputy in the chief spot for about 6 months...council decided he wasn't the puppet they wanted, busted him back down to deputy and re-hired from outside!

It seems to be the accepted norm for PD's. It does stink though...what are you supposed to think after giving 20 years of your life to a department and getting overlooked for someone 400 miles away? No chance to be the top dog would definitely bum me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
DH and I were watching/reading about the candidates closely - and altho I am sure any of them could do the job, this guy's attitude was appealing to us. Liked his background, liked his philosophy. We are very pleased and hopeful that he will bring something new to the job.

I have read what others say about promoting from within, but here is what I am thinking. Sometimes it is just good to go outside the organization, as all organizations develop a culture . . . and maybe it would be good to have someone new who will influence the culture in a positive way. I think CMPD has felt their hands have been tied - so to speak - as they round these thugs up and then nothing happens (let them out again). Having someone come in and say - we can do things differently! We can get more cooperation from the judicial side . . . maybe that will be uplifting and invigorating for the whole organization. Since this new guy is coming on at a time when there are task forces being formed and city fathers are finally taking a hard look at the very real crime problem here - maybe a new person (in a honeymoon period!) will actually get more cooperation from all parties - so we can get the funded needed and support our law enforcement and their work.

At least - that is my hope - that we see some real steps towards giving law enforcement whatever support it is they need to just do their jobs! I can only imagine how frustrated CMPD officers feel . . . they are dedicated people who are dealing w/ repeat offenders. How hard that must be to arrest these guys, arrest them again . . .and then arrest them again later . . .

Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
You know if the police arrest all the criminals and the DA's & judges just put them back on the street can we arrest the DA's and judges for obstruction of justice?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
It's not done by one person. I think we all as a whole need to work together to bring these crime rates down. Neighbors need to get to know their neighbors. Is it me or does it seem like folks are less likely to enter act with each other?
That is wonderful for neighbors to know each other, however, that is not going to stop the thugs from breaking into your neighbors home, especially when they know the cops will take atleast 40 minutes to arrive. No it does not take one person but I think this police chief is a step in the right direction and will implement things that will reduce the amount of crime here.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,872 times
On paper it appears to be a great hire. I definitely like his track record. It will take very little to prove to be a step up from what we currently have. At least IMHO, I'm looking forward to having someone in control that has a backbone.

As for the situation of hiring from the outside, I totally agree with it. Not that I don't think that there are several people deserving the spot within the organization, because I'm sure there are, but I always think it is better to hire from outside in this situation. Hiring from within for these kind of positions often leads to very complicated problems:i.e. favoritism, political agendas, defiance, etc.

Think about yuor own working environment. If your boss retired, would your company respond differently to a new aggressive outsider than they would to a co-worker, sometime friend, that has been promoted. Probably so.

If we need to change...then we need to change.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
On paper it appears to be a great hire. I definitely like his track record. It will take very little to prove to be a step up from what we currently have. At least IMHO, I'm looking forward to having someone in control that has a backbone.

As for the situation of hiring from the outside, I totally agree with it. Not that I don't think that there are several people deserving the spot within the organization, because I'm sure there are, but I always think it is better to hire from outside in this situation. Hiring from within for these kind of positions often leads to very complicated problems:i.e. favoritism, political agendas, defiance, etc.

Think about yuor own working environment. If your boss retired, would your company respond differently to a new aggressive outsider than they would to a co-worker, sometime friend, that has been promoted. Probably so.

I Couldn't have said it better!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post

Nice post - thanks for your insight. You said it so well . . .

Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times
Yes, Im pleased with the hire...and coming from the Richmond area, I can say I think this was a good hire.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
It's not done by one person. I think we all as a whole need to work together to bring these crime rates down. Neighbors need to get to know their neighbors. Is it me or does it seem like folks are less likely to enter act with each other?
That is the purpose of neighborhood watch committees. They can be effective and very beneficial. There should be much more emphasis on organizing them.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
There will be a 20k salary increase over the previous police chief
Rodney Monroe will make $185,000
Former Chief Stevens made $163,909

Peter Gorman makes $260,000 a year (that is more than the president of the USA)
plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: