Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM

33 posts, read 118,401 times

Advertisements

BTW - Thanks for the link to the Charlotte Observer - great article!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogs4vt View Post
Would you consider Charlotte 'the south'?
Unfortunately not as Southern, or as kind for that matter, as it was when I was growing up...

Besides the normal advice such as 'secure employment before moving', I would also strongly suggest that you choose housing in close proximity to your sphere of activities (work, school, church, shopping, ect). Fuel costs are going to continue to rise much more quickly than in the past. Over the slightly longer term this is going to cause housing in outlying areas to decrease in value (or rise at a much lower rate) as opposed to areas closer in. It is unfortunate, but a fact.

Last edited by mullman; 06-04-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
moderator note:
Moderator notes serve as warnings ignoring them can lead to infractions

PLEASE DO NO IGNORE THEM READ POST NUMBER 25!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogs4vt View Post
Bottom line: My husband and I are trying to find a place to move... we are in DC now (I grew up here) and he is from LA and we want a change from the fast-paced life in DC. For several months we have considered several major cities (Seattle, Denver, Ft. Lauderdale) trying to find one that fits our criteria. We are very outdoorsy, active people and want our children to be in an area where that kind of lifestyle is practiced - we want safe/good schools, stable job market (we are in IT) and a lower cost of living so that I wouldn't have to work FT. He wants to return to the "west" where the attitudes are more laid-back and life doesnt revolve around work but I don't want to remove myself too far from my family (who are all in DC).

With that, I have been proposing Charlotte as a good alternative because it appears to be a growing IT hub, I like its proximity to DC (within driving distance, doesnt require a flight across the nation) and its not a land-locked state. And I've also had a few friends move down there and they rave about it but most of them were raised in NC.

If we were to visit the area - what areas would you suggest we go to get a good feel for the city and outlying neighborhoods? Would you consider Charlotte 'the south'?

Thanks for any info or viewpoints you can provide...
When you ask if Charlotte is in the south, what does that mean? We talk southern, we live in a southern state, we take pride in our southern heritage, so if a duck quacks, it must be a duck! Remember that Charlotte is only around 30 percent native. Many of the residents are from outside of the georgaphical south. I guess that is what you mean. Charlotte was part of the confederacy during the civil war so I suppose that that might make it a southern city?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
As for areas to visit . . . I would think you would enjoy checking out uptown CLT itself . . . as well as S. CLT- shopping similar to Tysons corner at SouthPark . . . as for outdoors, we have both Lake Norman to the N and Lake Wylie to the S. Mountains 2 + hours away. . . Just depends what you are looking for . . . nice communities all around CLT . . .depends on your price range and where you would be commuting for work . . . your price range would determine what areas I would suggest for you to check out while you are here.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:18 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
When you ask if Charlotte is in the south, what does that mean? We talk southern, we live in a southern state, we take pride in our southern heritage, so if a duck quacks, it must be a duck! Remember that Charlotte is only around 30 percent native. Many of the residents are from outside of the georgaphical south. I guess that is what you mean. Charlotte was part of the confederacy during the civil war so I suppose that that might make it a southern city?
where are these stats coming from, 30%. Please post source..I read the article from earlier only 25% of the 55% transplants are from NE. and that is only a small prcent of total excisting population. Please ost source

Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM

12 posts, read 25,311 times
Ok, if you've been to Richmond, VA, it feels very much like that, only - better planned, with a way nicer Uptown that is viable and vibrant. Lots of new growth here, things have slowed a bit (contrary to all the lists we are on), but I think we're in a better position than a lot of the country, economically and real estate-wise. The weather will be somewhat the same as where you are, except for a milder winter, and maybe a couple of degrees different in the summer. I lived in Baltimore and Richmond, and spent a fair amount of time in DC, so I think I know what you have now. I also lived in Atlanta, so I know what it's like there. This is your choice, trust me. It's certainly not swampy or weirdly racially divided.There is plenty to do, out in the burbs as well as Uptown. I think you'll love it! I know there are a lot of transplants, but it's certainly a town that is in the south. There are all kinds of people, and now we're just Charlotteans! Come visit, you'll see.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 PM

60 posts, read 173,302 times
Hey Frog4vt, I think you would like the Fort Mill, SC area (Tega Cay) Its very outdoorsy, great schools. We lived in Georgia before here and this is way nicer than Georgia..

Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Charlotte is as southern as a Chicken is a Duck. And most of the people moving to Charlotte area don't want it to be southern. Why do you think they don't move across the border to South Carolina?
Ummm, they are. As a matter of fact, the most recent figures show that more people move from Mecklenburg County across the border to York County than vice versa.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Ummm, they are. As a matter of fact, the most recent figures show that more people move from Mecklenburg County across the border to York County than vice versa.
The same might be said about Union county too! Charlotte is becoming as "southern" as the facade of Tara on the MGM lot in Hollywood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte