Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
Yeah, I don't see changing because you move either... you can support the home team, but you don't have to be a fan of them....

I went to college at Auburn - I'll always be an Auburn fan, no matter where I live...it's the the same for pro teams for most people...People are fans and stay true to that team. How is that difficult to understand?
The difference is you have something invested at Auburn. I went to App State and will always be a Mountaineer b/c I have something invested in that school. I also love Carolina Tarheels basketball. I don't have anything invested with any of the NFL teams. No one on any of those teams care about me or you as long as they draw the big paycheck. However, since the Panthers are here and I live near here and work here, I will support them b/c they do a lot for the community and the economy. College sports and pro sports are two different animals with me especially if you attended the school. Although I know there is no convincing some people but that's how I feel about it. Ya'll have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,438 times
I plan on supporting the panthers now since I live here. Although, I will still be rooting on my bucs when they plan on a lovely monday night.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
I've lived in NC all my life and i think the last time i rooted for the Panthers was 2001, the 1-15 season. This includes the Super Bowl, I wanted the Hurricanes to win first, which thankfully for me, they did. I dont hate the Panthers, I just cant find a reason to root for them. I think im leaning more towards Dallas. I'll always like College football more than NFL too. With that said, go NCSU! lets get ourselves a football title before UNC does so we can rub it in their face!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Srsly?
You think I should stay in Detroit because I love the Tigers and Lions and Pistons? Um, no. My company opened up a branch here, and I met a woman here who I intend to marry. The economic future in Detroit is less than bright. But I grew up watching & rooting for the Detroit teams and living or dying with each win or loss. I know the players and the history and have been to the old stadiums and the new stadiums and seen the bad times and the good times. They are a part of me, and I'm unlikely to switch allegiances due to a geographic move. What kind of fan would do that?

I won't root against Carolina teams (except when they play Detroit teams, of course). And I will support them. I've already been to a Knights game and a Bobcats game. (Of course, the Bobcats game was against the Pistons and the Knights against the Tigers' affiliate, Toledo. ) And on November 16th, I plan on being there to watch the Panthers play the Lions. Support them? Sure. But I'll never love them like I love Detroit teams.

It boggles the mind that this would seem strange to anyone. I mean, they're my teams. Always have been. How could I possibly just change that?

I 100% agree w/ you there, as I will never lose my allegiance to the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, or Cleveland Cavaliers, and if anyone would ever ask me to swich being a fan of my alma mater Ohio State, I would probably deck them right there.
I do support the Panthers, and will go to a game or 2. The Bobcats, not so much b/c they suck and I hate the NBA. Heck, I don't even watch the Cavs unless their in the playoffs.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM

187 posts, read 649,633 times
I'm a Giants fan but since living in charlotte, I have respect for the panthers and i'll watch some of their games.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
You're kidding, right? This is the mentality I don't get. There are different people on the team each year. It's not like it stays the same. You find out who is on the team in your new area and you pull for them. Then you keep adjusting when players come and go. How hard is that? That's what my husband and I did. And my husband was the biggest Redskins fan you ever saw when I met him. He owns Panther stuff not Washington b/c they are our team. He said he was going to support the home team and we love our Panthers!

The problem is that Charlotte and the surrounding area is such a melting pot of people who have moved here and they won't support the local teams b/c they are committed to the teams they've always pulled for. Our teams fuel our economy so I don't care how long you've pulled for another team. If you live here, you should try to show real support to our team. No one will ever change my mind about that.
Um, yeah. Of course I'm not kidding. What you describe doesn't sound to me like being a fan at all.
You and I will never agree on this. I can't even begin to understand what you're talking about. You seem sincere, otherwise I would assume you are just trying to rile people up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I 100% agree w/ you there, as I will never lose my allegiance to the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, or Cleveland Cavaliers, and if anyone would ever ask me to swich being a fan of my alma mater Ohio State, I would probably deck them right there.
I do support the Panthers, and will go to a game or 2.
^For the win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhagw View Post
I'm a Giants fan but since living in charlotte, I have respect for the panthers and i'll watch some of their games.
Ahhh.. now people are making sense again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte