Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times

Advertisements

Like everything else, you want to make this into a liberal and conservative issue, and it is not.

And BTW, this thread is a great example of why someone who might look/live/worship "differerently" might ask how they will fit in here in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Like everything else, you want to make this into a liberal and conservative issue, and it is not.

And BTW, this thread is a great example of why someone who might look/live/worship "differerently" might ask how they will fit in here in Charlotte.
Actually, I was spot on. Most like minded liberals I have met blindly dismiss a subject they know nothing about, and use empty rhetorical phrases to avoid arguing the points. I have repeatedly asked you to tell me your knowledge of Islam as defined by the keywords and questions I offered you, and you continue to side step the issues. Again, like the like-minded liberals I've met, this is familiar territory (to refuse to answer the question at hand).

I have no concern for the person who shys away from Charlotte based on this thread or similar. I would never treat an individual with anything other than respect, so long as that individual does not step on my rights. Anyone can fit in Charlotte. This thread has not alluded otherwise.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM

I'm quite comfortable with my understanding of Islam vs yours.

Based on what I've read in this thread, you believe that Islam is an inherently violent religion and is a danger to the US, and needs to be destroyed. Is that accurate?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:32 PM

51 posts, read 142,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
lol...did you miss the list of books I provided? How devout are you? We must not be reading the same Quranic verses.

But I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, as Islamic historical record speaks for itself.

I know some 'like-minded' Muslims (practicing rather than proselytizing) that would refute much of what you have written. They believe in Allah, but not in annihilation. Isn't there some sensitivity for non-literal, less fundamentalist readings of holy texts? I think both Christians and Muslims will *sometimes* interpret or adjust for different contexts (most notably, accounting for the passing of time, the evolution of societies, and considering a the benefits of mutual co-existence).

However, I'm thinking about adopting a more protective posture upon meeting anyone calling themselves a Muslim and assume he or she is just at the tipping point in his or her desire to annihilate me (contingent, of course, on their discovery that I am a non-Muslim).

How many non-abstract Muslims do you know?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I'm quite comfortable with my understanding of Islam vs yours.

Based on what I've read in this thread, you believe that Islam is an inherently violent religion and is a danger to the US, and needs to be destroyed. Is that accurate?
I'm sure you are comfortable with your limited knowledge.

Quite honestly, I think the vessels of the violence need to be destroyed, but because of the magnitude of those that practice pure Islam, this will never be possible. The struggle will continue for decades if not centuries to come, unless somehow the "peaceful" Muslims overhaul their religion.

They are not at war with us for what we do, they are at war with us for who we are and for what they wish to accomplish.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddler52 View Post
I know some 'like-minded' Muslims (practicing rather than proselytizing) that would refute much of what you have written. They believe in Allah, but not in annihilation. Isn't there some sensitivity for non-literal, less fundamentalist readings of holy texts? I think both Christians and Muslims will *sometimes* interpret or adjust for different contexts (most notably, accounting for the passing of time, the evolution of societies, and considering a the benefits of mutual co-existence).

However, I'm thinking about adopting a more protective posture upon meeting anyone calling themselves a Muslim and assume he or she is just at the tipping point in his or her desire to annihilate me (contingent, of course, on their discovery that I am a non-Muslim).

How many non-abstract Muslims do you know?
Sure there is, and I wish the whole religion was a non-literal interpretation versus the fundamental. But this is not the world in which we live, and it is not the world the leaders of the Muslim world (ummah) live.

Sure, there are fundamentalists of every religion--I condsider myself a fundamental Christian in literally interpeting the Bible. But last time I checked fundamentalist Christians were not crashing planes into buildings, calling for jihad, blowing up embassies, rioting in the streets of France, calling for death threats over cartoons, and attempting to wipe Israel off the face of the map.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:41 PM

I guess if an adulterer gets stoned to death, we'll know where to look...

Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I guess if an adulterer gets stoned to death, we'll know where to look...
I guess so.

Quote:
BBC NEWS | Africa | Nigeria's stoning appeal fails

An Islamic appeal court has upheld a sentence of death by stoning for adultery against a Nigerian woman.

Amina Lawal, 30, was found guilty by a court in Katsina state in March after bearing a child outside marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte