Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,493 times

Advertisements

I went to Charlotte on Friday to pay my sons tuition at CPCC. We drove around the uptown area. It is very nice and clean with pretty fountains and nice restaurants and office buildings. What I didn't see were nice(ANY) shops. Just restaurants and office buildings. Did I miss something? I wanted to get out and walk around but I really didn't see anything I wanted to walk to (I like to shop). I remember my cousin saying the same thing when she came for a visit to Charlotte. It seems that unless you work in the area there is no other reason to go. Can anyone tell me is there an area that I missed that has these things? Thanks
PS - I had my first Cheerwine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM

677 posts, read 2,238,532 times
If you catch uptown during the work week, over street mall has a bunch of shops and there are a few here and there. But largely on the weekends its mostly restaurants and bars with little 'big city shopping' areas. But that's changing. I just don't know exactly when or what is coming.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I went to Charlotte on Friday to pay my sons tuition at CPCC. We drove around the uptown area. It is very nice and clean with pretty fountains and nice restaurants and office buildings. What I didn't see were nice(ANY) shops. Just restaurants and office buildings. Did I miss something? I wanted to get out and walk around but I really didn't see anything I wanted to walk to (I like to shop). I remember my cousin saying the same thing when she came for a visit to Charlotte. It seems that unless you work in the area there is no other reason to go. Can anyone tell me is there an area that I missed that has these things? Thanks
PS - I had my first Cheerwine...
Basically, uptown is a business place during daylight hours and an entertainment place after sundown. Sorry, good shopping requires driving someplace else. So, how was the cheerwine?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Basically, uptown is a business place during daylight hours and an entertainment place after sundown. Sorry, good shopping requires driving someplace else. So, how was the cheerwine?
Loved the cheerwine

Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
If you catch uptown during the work week, over street mall has a bunch of shops and there are a few here and there. But largely on the weekends its mostly restaurants and bars with little 'big city shopping' areas. But that's changing. I just don't know exactly when or what is coming.
Thanks for the info. It's too bad about the shopping. It would be nice to have shopping (not chain stores) so we could spend the day eating and shopping on the weekends. Charlotte really is a pretty city, it would be nice if everyone could enjoy it. Is this something that others have been missing too or is it just me.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Thanks for the info. It's too bad about the shopping. It would be nice to have shopping (not chain stores) so we could spend the day eating and shopping on the weekends. Charlotte really is a pretty city, it would be nice if everyone could enjoy it. Is this something that others have been missing too or is it just me.
I think it will eventually happen. I think we'll look back at the Epicenter in a few years and realize it was the catalyst that transformed downtown to a thriving, self-supporting city. One that the residents would never have to leave to shop, dine, or receive routine medical services.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
SSD: so glad you got out and about - and makes me smile to know you sought out Cheerwine, LOL!!!!

Used to be, when I was a child, the trip to Belk uptown was a big deal. Now, things shifted to SouthPark Mall and the area around the mall. Great shopping there. Also, lots of good shopping in other areas south of the city.

I agree w/ Carolina Guy - Epicenter is gonna add a much needed dimension uptown.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,570 times
I paid my son's tuition online! But we did also go down to CPCC last week (It was a gorgeous sunny but not too hot day) to buy some books and scout out the express bus stops, and we walked up to the court house at 4th and McDowell and had lunch at Quiznos.

CPCC is having an orientation I think Friday August 1 so we will be back then and you might want to attend also.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
SSD: so glad you got out and about - and makes me smile to know you sought out Cheerwine, LOL!!!!

Used to be, when I was a child, the trip to Belk uptown was a big deal. Now, things shifted to SouthPark Mall and the area around the mall. Great shopping there. Also, lots of good shopping in other areas south of the city.

I agree w/ Carolina Guy - Epicenter is gonna add a much needed dimension uptown.
Thanks Ani. It is nice to get out and about. I am enjoying my temporary stay in Huntersville. There is a lot of shopping and the apartment has a nice pool (we're there 5-6 hours a day!!!!) My DH is not loving having to get take out every night be the kids and I are really enjoying the pool.I will miss all of the conviences once we move out to the "country" next week but am looking forward to the peace and quiet and space in my new neighborhood. I'm not really into mall and chain store shopping. Don't get me wrong they are great for everyday stuff but when going into the city I love specialty type of shops.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I paid my son's tuition online! But we did also go down to CPCC last week (It was a gorgeous sunny but not too hot day) to buy some books and scout out the express bus stops, and we walked up to the court house at 4th and McDowell and had lunch at Quiznos.

CPCC is having an orientation I think Friday August 1 so we will be back then and you might want to attend also.
Thanks Xcape. My son won't be down until Aug 10th. But thanks for the info. I wish my son could take public transportation. I'm a little nervious about him driving an hour into the city. He is a country boy who never really drives in traffic. Oh well I guess he has to learn sometime and I need to learn how to cut the "cord".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte