Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:42 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,331 times

Advertisements

"All kids take Spanish each year in Union county elementary and middle schools, and I don't hear any of that English-only propaganda"

I just wanted to comment on the above quote. While Spanish is offered as an elective in the Middle and High Schools in Union County, I have four children who have attended Union County Public Schools for the last six years. None of my children have ever taken Spanish. That may be because in Middle School three of them took Chorus, a year long elective, and one was on the Journalism team, also a year long commitment. That made other electives impossible. I am sure that many do take Spanish, but not all.
In high school, there are choices, and each of my children has chosen French as an elective. Again, not one time did any take Spanish.
Alos, I would not use the word "progressive" to describe Union County Schools in many aspects.
Thanks,
Peggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 09:29 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT
does anyone know what kind of town huntersville is? how long would it take to drive to the center of charlotte during rush hour?
Huntersville its self is really a nice town. Very much geared to the middle class american family. Low crime(for a town of its size) All the amenities of Charlotte. Close communities. You're able to get to everything within a reasonable amount of time. The roads can't really handle the sudden boom of people though I must admit.

The schools... The two high schools in Huntersville are North Meck High and Hopewell. North Meck is the largest high school in NC. Very over crowed with alot of behavioral issues. Hopewell ain't any better. But just the same ole same ole you'd expect from Char-Meck.

The commute in rush hour is less than desired, but no where close to places like L.A., Boston. NYC, Miami, Atlanta. Getting there though. It should take anywhere from 30 to 50 mins.

Hope I could help.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,978 times
Default John Wieland Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand
Hey all, new to the forum.. looks informative and helpful. I live in New York (Long Island) and my sister and her family are seriously considering making the move to Charlotte.

They have been down there for about 5 days or so looking at homes (new homes by Wieland Builders), and really like the town 'Matthews". We are Jewish and while we are somewhat reformed, we are looking to be amongnst other like families (most likely transient). If my sister and her family move to Charlotte, there's a good possibility Me, my wife and two little girls (6 and 3) might follow. From what I've been told the homes are new, as are the communities, good schools and lots of growth opportunities.

I would need a good job to relocate from where I am... I am in Internet Sales and work for a large media compnay here on Long Island (I would consider Charlotte Observer - Charlotte.com to be its equivalent.)

Any feedback on the Meckleberg/Union counties and Matthews? I'm told that Weiland is building beautiful new homes in this area and we would be interested in something in the $300 to $350,000 range.

Glad to be a member, maybe a new neighbor if all pans out... as much feedback as you all can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave
My family and I are in the process of moving from Long Island, NY to Matthews. As a matter of fact, we purchased a John Wieland home and although the post office address is Matthews, the JW neighborhood is assigned to Union County Schools, not Meck. On the other hand, with all the overcrowding and reassignments, it would not surprise me that my child may end up going to another school or to sit in a trailor.

As far as pricing on mod cut and click on the one of their locations of homes. I don't think you'll find one of their homes in the price range you mentioned unless you purchase one of their inventory homes which has been completed for some time.

Good luck with the search!

Last edited by Yac; 06-14-2006 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-12-2006, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,043 times
I love Jim Wieland Homes. I am an interior designer and get to be in lots of beautiful homes in the Matthews/Weddington area. These homes are some of my favorites.

Matthews is a wonderful town, especially for a family. There are outdoor concerts, little league and sports teams a plenty and a wonderful community and children's theatre. There is even a town band for those that love to perform.

I love this small town with everything you need close by.

Melisa Verch
Interor Designer
[url removed]

Last edited by Yac; 06-14-2006 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte