Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times

Advertisements

I just rented my own home that I had for sale. 2 days after it was on Craigslist I had a signed lease. I got all of the info to run the background checks, etc.. on my tenants but they were such straight up people I didn't even bother.

Paid a big deposit up front no questions asked and first months rent the day they moved in. I already factored in that I would at least have to get the carpets cleaned and touch paint up when they leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
I just rented my own home that I had for sale. 2 days after it was on Craigslist I had a signed lease. I got all of the info to run the background checks, etc.. on my tenants but they were such straight up people I didn't even bother.

Paid a big deposit up front no questions asked and first months rent the day they moved in. I already factored in that I would at least have to get the carpets cleaned and touch paint up when they leave.

Becareful throughout the years I have found that people with ca$h and a long history in a form of a story are the one to worry about. Especially if they have to move in NOW!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Becareful throughout the years I have found that people with ca$h and a long history in a form of a story are the one to worry about. Especially if they have to move in NOW!!!

Okay well I did go to his work and verify his position, etc..

Probably had at least 10 conversations before they moved in as well. Also, looked up the tax record of where their current home was and had a Realtor in that area of NC verify the listing, etc..

Either way you can get burned I agree. And from what I've read our (Meck County) eviction process is a major PITA!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Okay well I did go to his work and verify his position, etc..

Probably had at least 10 conversations before they moved in as well. Also, looked up the tax record of where their current home was and had a Realtor in that area of NC verify the listing, etc..

Either way you can get burned I agree. And from what I've read our (Meck County) eviction process is a major PITA!
You are so right - it is hard to tell. All you can do is give it your best effort to screen people and check them out . . . then go w/ your gut. And yes, the eviction process here is hellatious. But it can be done! And some people turn out to be wonderful renters who will actually IMPROVE your property (planting flowers and keeping up landscaping well, for ex).

Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 PM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Quote:

Remember that movie Pacific Heights!

All cash, drove a Porsche, smooth talker. Of course a credit check would have turned up nothing on that guy.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,497 times
Default suggestions

what would you suggest as a bonus to interest buyers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, Jack . . . I remember the discussions you and I have participated in months ago . . . and I clearly remember your advice: price your house in anticipation of a falling market - price below your neighbors - get it moved.

Sadly, I offered this advice to many people (along w/ adding bonuses) and NOT ONE of them listened to me. And EVERY ONE OF THEM has now lowered their prices in the range of $20 - 30,000 (or more) from where they started four to six or so months ago. And all told me - bonuses don't work. (Yet the one friend back in KS that used the bonus method in July sold the house in 2 weeks, Hee Hee).

You were soooo right. If everyone would have done what we advised - cut that house down to start with . . . not only would the houses have sold . . . no mortgage payment going out the door every month . . . and no delay w/ moving to another location (or to a different home here).

I knew at the time we were right.

Wanna make another prediction - about tightening of credit? Higher interest rates?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,497 times
Quote:
Rates dropped HUGE on Monday due to the government taking over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Not that it helps people who can't qualify but it helps either way.
what suggestions do you have as a bonus to attract prospective buyers?

Old 09-23-2008, 02:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny22 View Post
what suggestions do you have as a bonus to attract prospective buyers?
Someone I know offered a years free membership to the nearby YMCA as a bonus to entice buyers

Old 09-23-2008, 02:42 PM

175 posts, read 546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Someone I know offered a years free membership to the nearby YMCA as a bonus to entice buyers

I also heard of someone including a bi-weekly cleaning service!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Was reading some of the posts about renting made me think.

I used generic examples, 200K house, 4 bedrooms, mortgage, taxes & insurance approx $1500 a month.

Rent around the 1200 a month, agency take 10% leaves you with 1080, means you are losing $420 a month, thats a fraction over $5000 a year.

So if you have to move is it worth dropping the $5000 a year for 2 maybe 3 years or do you think you can sell the house with out dropping 15K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte