Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 AM

15 posts, read 51,111 times

Advertisements

folks,

the man still lives there, that was part of the deal. it would have KILLED him to move at age 84. the point is, its NOT right. a grass roots movement needs to be started to stop the town of matthews for this injustice!

let me tell what kind of park is going in here when the poor old man passed. its goiong to be a PARK alright!! the BIGGGEST BUSINESS PARK IN MATTHEWS NC!! lots of TAX revenue for the town of matthews.

see, matthews can NOT get much tax revenue from poor old mr purser, its a stink'n farm, low taxes. but Mr. BOSS HOG, the mayor, has figured out how to grow his empire!! by stealing land and making it commecial, thus, HUGE TAX REVENUE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 AM

15 posts, read 51,111 times
in a world of wrongs, thank you BB&T

Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 AM

274 posts, read 239,382 times
This is a really old story, but, I believe the truth of the matter is, that Mr. Purser was holding out for a "WalMart" type of business to buy his property. The town did not take his land. As of right now, he is living there -- rent and tax-free -- until he passes away; it's called a life estate. From what I've heard from those in the know, his children urged him to sell to the town, but he wanted more money. Of course, even with values what they were years ago, he wouldn't have gotten as much as he thought. I believe the town did use eminent domain, but it is every city's right to do so.

By the way -- his sign violates the sign ordinances, but it's still there.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 13,942 times
I think that the article also failed to mention that he was paid around $5 million for the land, besides the life rights.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip CLT View Post
I think that the article also failed to mention that he was paid around $5 million for the land, besides the life rights.
If that is true . . . does anyone want my 1/2 acre???

Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If that is true . . . does anyone want my 1/2 acre???

Yeah I think a buck 25 in todays market sounds about right

Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Yeah I think a buck 25 in todays market sounds about right
Well, so much for that . . .

Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 PM

274 posts, read 239,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip CLT View Post
You are correct. The original poster has no idea what he is talking about.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
When Heckle Bypass was on the drawing board in York County ... there was a little strip motel been there since the 1940s ... everyone has seen this type of Doo-Drop-Inn ... the little old woman wouldn't deal ... she lived in the office portion of the 8 motel rooms ... the county using eminent domain gave her a check and she still didn't give in ... she would not move ... so the county cut her motel in half ... and the bypass was built and there was her half of a motel visible to passing motorist ... when she passed away the check was found in her belongings ... she never accepted their money. Kudzu has taken over the remains of her old motel.

If this guy received 5 million and could stay there until he died ... that's not a shabby deal at all.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
When Heckle Bypass was on the drawing board in York County ... there was a little strip motel been there since the 1940s ... everyone has seen this type of Doo-Drop-Inn ... the little old woman wouldn't deal ... she lived in the office portion of the 8 motel rooms ... the county using eminent domain gave her a check and she still didn't give in ... she would not move ... so the county cut her motel in half ... and the bypass was built and there was her half of a motel visible to passing motorist ... when she passed away the check was found in her belongings ... she never accepted their money. Kudzu has taken over the remains of her old motel.

If this guy received 5 million and could stay there until he died ... that's not a shabby deal at all.
Seems pretty equitable. Growth means that things change. Sometimes, that is not always easy for those who are affected by the changes. But that does sound like a fair settlement - and so glad the gentleman could remain on his property for his lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte