Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1979 View Post
I agree with everything you said

Then you are just as cold as she is. Wait until it happens to you, then you will sing to a different tune!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,499 times
Default puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoKey View Post
As for the family, rumor has it they're living in the Cayman Islands -- on the purchase money.

guess you got that from your friends in the know.?. and he's just left here to wait for the Reaper. Wish it were me instead, I'd show how a true Patriot stands!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 PM

274 posts, read 239,420 times
Here's the bottom line -- he received about $4.2 million in the deal. For that kind of money, the town can take my property!

And, yes, his sign is in violation of the sign ordinance. While art is subjective, a whiny sign after you've received that kind of money is hardly art -- it's idiotic and misleading to everyone who drives by. Who does he think he's fooling? Oh, yeah -- you Mrs. Butterworth!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsButterworth View Post
Then you are just as cold as she is. Wait until it happens to you, then you will sing to a different tune!
Ya, and the tune would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqwx9i704g

Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,396 times
I live near this old man. He received a boatload of cash and he can live there until he dies. He's just bitter that he didn't sell when he should have, to a private developer, for more cash. He wanted 10x as much cash from a Wal-Mart or similar company. The sign is a joke. Learn the facts, people.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip CLT View Post
I think that the article also failed to mention that he was paid around $5 million for the land, besides the life rights.

Ok, I've lived in the neighborhood across the street from him for over 15 years. I grew up playing around over there and it made my day when I was on my way to school and the cows were over in the corner 1st thing in the morning. It was so exciteing.

He's good friends with the older residents there includeing my friends grandmother. What happened is, the city offered him 5 million. He refused it. He wanted to keep the farm in the family. But the town decided to take it anyway. They said too bad and that he can live there until he passes. Then his children only get a small fraction of what he was offered.

why would he have a sign outside his farm and be making a big deal about it if he had accepted the offer?

He wants his farm. He wants his children to have the farm.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igottajibboo2 View Post
Ok, I've lived in the neighborhood across the street from him for over 15 years. I grew up playing around over there and it made my day when I was on my way to school and the cows were over in the corner 1st thing in the morning. It was so exciteing.

He's good friends with the older residents there includeing my friends grandmother. What happened is, the city offered him 5 million. He refused it. He wanted to keep the farm in the family. But the town decided to take it anyway. They said too bad and that he can live there until he passes. Then his children only get a small fraction of what he was offered.

why would he have a sign outside his farm and be making a big deal about it if he had accepted the offer?

He wants his farm. He wants his children to have the farm.
Government cannot just "take" property without paying fair market value - believe me, he was financially compensated. I am sympathetic that he lost his family land, but imminent domain is sometimes a necessary evil for the good of the whole community.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Government cannot just "take" property without paying fair market value - believe me, he was financially compensated. I am sympathetic that he lost his family land, but imminent domain is sometimes a necessary evil for the good of the whole community.

Yes, he did get compensation. The point is, he didn't want money. He wanted his farm. They made him an offer and he refused. So they said well heres less that what we offered and we're taking it anyway. I know they have to pay something for it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igottajibboo2 View Post
Yes, he did get compensation. The point is, he didn't want money. He wanted his farm. They made him an offer and he refused. So they said well heres less that what we offered and we're taking it anyway. I know they have to pay something for it.
I see his point and understand it. On the other hand, his problem is not unique. All of us have lived places that have gone through a complete facelift. It is progress and we can't stop it. Imminent domain seems to be unfair. It is unfortunate that people lose their homesteads. They want to build shopping centers over historic battlefields in Northern Virginia. That is sad, but as the population from Washington spreads out, they will enentually be replaced with a plaque and a shopping center. This is just an example of commercial takeover of things we value. I suppose progress works both ways.

I drive down old Statesville Road and see an occasional cow or bull. It is a pleasure to see them still remotely around in these days of astronomical growth. Unfortunately, I am sure they want be there in five years.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thanx, Ctri!!! I am very curious about this situation now.

I recall years ago when a house somewhere off East Boulevard (Dilworth) was cut in half as the owner refused to move out. Half of the house remained in place for a year or two. A road was built where the house stood. Of course, it could have been an easement issue rather than imminent domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte