Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 PM

27 posts, read 80,867 times

Advertisements

I am absolutely terrified (um, well, I guess most people are) of tornadoes. Better said, It's just one of my biggest fears-being in one. That said, and our new house being built not having a basement, where would be the next best place to go????? Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 09:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey View Post
I am absolutely terrified (um, well, I guess most people are) of tornadoes. Better said, It's just one of my biggest fears-being in one. That said, and our new house being built not having a basement, where would be the next best place to go????? Yikes.
Your most interior room with no windows in the lowest part of your house, usually a hall bathroom. On the way there grab a twin mattress off the nearest bed, if you have one, and cover yourself with it in the tub.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default oh no!

Uhmm so I guess I better make friends b/c we don't have any rooms downstairs without windows and there is no way I could even pick up a mattress!!!! I have trouble making the bed and pulling the sheets tight!

Would hotels be safe?I mean a strong tall hotel in the city has to be right? Aren't they building a new Ritz? HA!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Uhmm so I guess I better make friends b/c we don't have any rooms downstairs without windows and there is no way I could even pick up a mattress!!!! I have trouble making the bed and pulling the sheets tight!

Would hotels be safe?I mean a strong tall hotel in the city has to be right? Aren't they building a new Ritz? HA!
If you have no rooms without windows, then get in a hallway as far away from any windows as you can. If you have any kind of helmets around - bike helmets, kids football helmets, whatever, put one on. And if you can't manage a mattress (twin ones really are quite light) grab a big couch cushion, or bed pillows to cover your head with.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post

Check with your local emergency management office, they may have designated nearby stocked public shelters.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey View Post
OMG Jersey me and you both. This will be my first Spring in Charlotte and I'm petrified!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Tornadoes do happen in NC. They are reported more frequently now because better radar detection and with the ever increasing population, more and more people are affected by them.

If memory serves me correctly, we seem to have most in the spring (obviously) particulary early spring, and another bout in the fall.

Do you see a lot of them in the Huntersville area?

Old 02-21-2007, 11:06 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Do you see a lot of them in the Huntersville area?
Nah, just an occasional waterspout over the lake.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM

478 posts, read 959,403 times
I would keep alert to the possibilities of tornadoes in this area, but I wouldn't spend alot of time worrying.... as you can see by this map.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
The map tells you almost nothing.

You could have a county that has never had a tornado until one day one touches down in a populated area and (heaven forbid) 20 people lose their life.

NC is a far more populated state than 50 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte