Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 09:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Don't go by what the gov says about economy are gas prices down? Is the parking lot empty at Home Depot? Then worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Default Bottom Dollar Food Sold to Aldi

Delhaize Group announced last Wednesday it is selling Bottom Dollar Food's 66 remaining stores and their associated lease liabilities to Aldi Incorporated. Bottom Dollar Food stores will continue to operate until year's end, then they will close.

Bottom Dollar Food was founded in 2005 as the soft-line discount grocery banner of Food Lion. Bottom Dollar Food now joins Bloom on the defunct list.

Suggested reading:
"Delhaize Group to sell 66 Bottom Dollar Food store locations." Salisbury, North Carolina: Bottom Dollar Food. 2014-11-05. Retrieved 2014-11-14. <http://bottomdollarfood.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=122417>

Old 11-14-2014, 10:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Delhaize Group announced last Wednesday it is selling Bottom Dollar Food's 66 remaining stores and their associated lease liabilities to Aldi Incorporated. Bottom Dollar Food stores will continue to operate until year's end, then they will close.

Bottom Dollar Food was founded in 2005 as the soft-line discount grocery banner of Food Lion. Bottom Dollar Food now joins Bloom on the defunct list.

Suggested reading:
"Delhaize Group to sell 66 Bottom Dollar Food store locations." Salisbury, North Carolina: Bottom Dollar Food. 2014-11-05. Retrieved 2014-11-14. <http://bottomdollarfood.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=122417>
Does this mean that the stores are closing permanently or that they are closing and being made into Aldi's? Seems crazy to spend millions on a bunch of stores to just close them down......but businesses do crazy things all the time especially when they need some tax write offs.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Does this mean that the stores are closing permanently or that they are closing and being made into Aldi's? Seems crazy to spend millions on a bunch of stores to just close them down......but businesses do crazy things all the time especially when they need some tax write offs.
Bottom Dollar Food is closing permanently. Aldi will takeover associated lease liabilities to open its own stores and hire its own associates.

Food Lion continues to go through changes. Most recently, former Bottom Dollar Food president Meg Ham succeeded Beth Newlands Campbell as Food Lion president two weeks ago. Some stores have undergone "store updates", and others have closed.

Suggested reading:
"Meg Ham named president of Food Lion." Salisbury, North Carolina: Food Lion. 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2014-11-15. <http://foodlion.mediaroom.com/2014-10-30-Meg-Ham-Named-President-of-Food-Lion>

Old 11-14-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Bottom Dollar Food is closing permanently. Aldi will takeover associated lease liabilities to open its own stores and hire its own associates.
That makes a lot more sense than just closing the stores and leaving them to rot. That's going to be a lot of new Aldi's!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Food Lion continues to go through changes. Most recently, former Bottom Dollar Food president Meg Ham succeeded Beth Newlands Campbell as Food Lion president two weeks ago. Some stores have undergone "store updates", and others have closed.
Food Lion needs a LOT of help. When I lived in SC, we had one and it was absolutely disgusting! My first experience with Food Lion was soon after they opened/remodeled the Thomasville store. I was appalled to see the one in Aiken, SC. I swear they built it in the 50's and haven't cleaned, painted, or retiled the floor since. It was a disaster! Nothing says buy our meat like days or weeks old blood sitting in the meat coolers. And you know it's old when it has a funky smell.

Strangely, the Hannafords up north are nothing like this! There are some smaller stores, but they're all clean and kept up. I wonder what the difference is. The same company owns them both.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
That makes a lot more sense than just closing the stores and leaving them to rot. That's going to be a lot of new Aldi's!
Aldi is a successful discount grocer. Its success helps propel its growth.

Quote:
Food Lion needs a LOT of help. When I lived in SC, we had one and it was absolutely disgusting! My first experience with Food Lion was soon after they opened/remodeled the Thomasville store. I was appalled to see the one in Aiken, SC. I swear they built it in the 50's and haven't cleaned, painted, or retiled the floor since. It was a disaster! Nothing says buy our meat like days or weeks old blood sitting in the meat coolers. And you know it's old when it has a funky smell.

Strangely, the Hannafords up north are nothing like this! There are some smaller stores, but they're all clean and kept up. I wonder what the difference is. The same company owns them both.
Hannaford is nice. It is very similar to Publix in providing necessities and quality products with excellent service and good prices. If Food Lion was more like Hannaford, it would be a better chain.

I am afraid Food Lion is past the point of no return. Publix and Kroger/Harris Teeter's growth in North Carolina is changing the supermarket landscape statewide.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,280 times
I never understood why Food Lion bought Hannaford and then shut them down in the Charlotte market. It was obvious that Hannaford was far superior to Food Lion, and the smart move would have been to convert the Food Lions over to the Hannaford format.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 AM

Default Hannaford

Hannaford leapfrogged into the southeastern United States. It acquired Wilson's Supermarkets in eastern North Carolina. Delhaize Group feared another chain similar to Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo would take away Food Lion's business across North Carolina. Not only did Delhaize Group acquire an emergent competitor, it opened expansion into the northeastern United States.

I can only recall two Hannaford stores in the Charlotte region:
  • 5745 Central Avenue, Charlotte, North Carolina 28212-2721
  • 2830 East Franklin Boulevard, Gastonia, North Carolina 28056-7261

Food Lion would have been smart to utilize Hannaford's strengths and ideas for its stores by adding pharmacies in most new and existing stores, emphasize its service departments in addition to low prices, and maintain a high standard of customer service.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Hannaford leapfrogged into the southeastern United States. It acquired Wilson's Supermarkets in eastern North Carolina. Delhaize Group feared another chain similar to Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo would take away Food Lion's business across North Carolina. Not only did Delhaize Group acquire an emergent competitor, it opened expansion into the northeastern United States.

I can only recall two Hannaford stores in the Charlotte region:
  • 5745 Central Avenue, Charlotte, North Carolina 28212-2721
  • 2830 East Franklin Boulevard, Gastonia, North Carolina 28056-7261

Food Lion would have been smart to utilize Hannaford's strengths and ideas for its stores by adding pharmacies in most new and existing stores, emphasize its service departments in addition to low prices, and maintain a high standard of customer service.
There were locations in Virginia as well. I was very excited that they were expanding into the South. And then the plug was pulled on it.

Food Lion has never been comparable to Hannaford. I've never understood how two stores from the same company could be soooo different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte