Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times

Advertisements

Dessert making story #2

I decided that I wanted to make this Norwegian spice cookie thing (can't begin to pronounce let alone spell the name of this thing) to see if it was what my grandmother used to make when I was a kid.

One of the things that the recipe asked for was some kind of yeast...don't remember what it said now...but, when I googled it, that's what it said that it was. This time, trying to actually do this correctly, I ran the recipe by a co-worker that is a huge baker and whose mom used to be a home economics teacher. Mom did not know exactly what that stuff was but she guessed baking soda. OK, so, I gathered the stuff together and tried to put it together as closely as possible to the recipe.

The result? a space-ship looking thing that did not taste really bad, but, just wasn't IT. I put some icing on it to see if that would help...not so much.

so, that was disaster #2.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Default Dessert Disaster #3

Finally, the true test of a non-baker: making a no-bake Jello cheesecake.

In this case, it was a no-bake pumpkin pie thing added to the no-bake Jello cheese cake to make a pumpkin cheesecake. Like my DIL made for Thanksgiving.

Nope. not even close. It tasted like there were peanuts in it. YUK.

The dogs are eating it now as a treat.

Moral of the story: NEVER ask me to bring a dessert that I have made.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
You have convinced me, CHI. Stick to the entrees and side dishes, HEE HEE.

Here is the Seven Layer Cookies Recipe (close your eyes, CHI!!!!)

Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars

1 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1 cup (6 ounces) butterscotch-flavored chips
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F for glass baking pan). In small bowl, combine vanilla wafer crumbs and butter; mix well. Press crumb mixture firmly on bottom of 13x9-inch baking pan.

Pour EAGLE BRAND® evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with remaining ingredients; press down firmly with fork.

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Chill if desired. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store leftovers covered at room temperature.

NOTE: I do a slight variation. I pour the milk over the whole thing at the end. Also, I take a spatula and press lightly on the mixture after pouring the milk over it.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
hey Brian is your tag line in reference to the store in Avon NC?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
hey Brian is your tag line in reference to the store in Avon NC?

If it's the "head bull goose loony" quote that's a line from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If it's the "head bull goose loony" quote that's a line from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".
It been ages since I have read that "required reading"

This is the store I was referencing that I keep getting shock look from people's faces for wearing their t shirt
Try My Nuts: Nuts Online, Gourmet Nuts, Nut Of The Month Club, Chocolate of the month Cl

the white trash listed on the home page is really good

Old 12-27-2008, 07:20 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
It been ages since I have read that "required reading"

This is the store I was referencing that I keep getting shock look from people's faces for wearing their t shirt
Try My Nuts: Nuts Online, Gourmet Nuts, Nut Of The Month Club, Chocolate of the month Cl

the white trash listed on the home page is really good

Noooo no no no no...

It's from Vince for Slap Chop (at the :54 mark)

YouTube - Vince with Slap Chop (Long version)

Old 12-27-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Noooo no no no no...

It's from Vince for Slap Chop (at the :54 mark)

YouTube - Vince with Slap Chop (Long version)
That guy is slightly annoying but he knows how to sell.
That looks like a good item for Ani

Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
That guy is slightly annoying but he knows how to sell.
That looks like a good item for Ani

I'd like to see Ani do that little "toss the cooking item over the shoulder and into the sink" the way Vince does later in that ad.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times
Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Ani- The fudge was a big hit, no bracelet for me this year though. I got a digital picture frame from DH.

DH and I were up until 1am wrapping Santa presents and lo and behold son #1 wakes up and starts down the hallway. I was able to catch him at the top of the stairs but he saw the presents under the tree. I quickly put him back in bed and laid down with him to make sure he didn't peek again. Then son #2 wakes up a little bit after that. Two hours later at 3:30am daughter wakes up. Talk about a no sleep night! LOL I don't know how or why but none of them questioned the Santa thing or why mom and dad were up that late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte