Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

ROFL . . . you guys!!!!

I am so serious. Just think how it would change our lives if we could grow pot legally. We could help with the state budget by raising tax revenue, whilst also helping those needing medicinal marijuana. Now, that would make us all happy. Very happy.

Really, really happy.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I need a xanax.

Speaking of mind altering drugs . . . BRIAN!!!! I saw this little spot on CNN this morning - about California wanting to legalize marijuana so as to raise tax money to help the state's budget, ROFLMAO!

I thought that rather hilarious after our discussion yesterday . . . I would be glad to follow all regs and pay taxes if someone would just let me grow pot as a cash crop!!!

While I would imagine it to not be the most popular of opinions, I whole heartedly support any initiative to legalize marijuana (which one of you said "I'm not surprised"). There's some vicious stigma attached to it that I've never been able to get my head around. It's perfectly legal to sell tobacco, a product who's only purpose is to kill you, yet it's illegal smoke pot, a plant that just so happens to have a medicinal property to it. You can buy a bottle of wine..scratch that...grain alcohol with a near 200 proof alcohol level, strong enough where a few soaked strawberries could send you reeling, but marijuana remains illegal. There isn't much logic using the "gateway drug" theory, especially by breaking the taboo of it's usage.

To all those opposed: if Charlotte took tax revenue from marijuana sales to keep CMS' teachers from being laid off, to fund further road construction, to create jobs, to keep property taxes low you'd be all for it...especially if it was your job that would be positively affected. It would also mean spending a lot less money on the war on drugs, or maybe concentrating on the more psychedelic, mind altering ones still on the black market.

I'm seeing Oregon is looking to legalize it for recreational use as well. Mark my words: the moment those two states start seeing huge tax returns on it's sale is when you'll see the other 48 follow suit in very short order. You'll put a lot of farmers to work, you'll create jobs, you'll see states making good money on it....and you'll see a huge uptick in the sales of Cracker Jacks, Doritos, Cheetos, and Bob Marley's catalog.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
ROFL . . . you guys!!!!

I am so serious. Just think how it would change our lives if we could grow pot legally. We could help with the state budget by raising tax revenue, whilst also helping those needing medicinal marijuana. Now, that would make us all happy. Very happy.

Really, really happy.

I have nothing to add to this but a big el oh el.

That was funny.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
it not local unfortunately. I moderate other forums than Charlotte and I see it there.
Im also tired of drive by posters who ask question then you never hear from them again.
I like posters like you guys who do ask question back on the op least it a good way to know if they are just being lazy and not using google.
Keep up the good work guys you are valuable to this forum.
Oh, I had no idea that you moderated. I mean I always see your police I just didn't know. OK, that was my Spicoli moment.

Shoot, I haven't done anything today except post, can I become a professional poster?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Brian, when I was a freshman in college (a looooooong time ago) I wrote a paper on the societal benefits of legalizing marijuana. I wish I still had that paper, as I still wholeheartedly believe what I wrote is spot on.

For one thing . . . the marijuana would be tested as to strength and quality, thus assuring consistent product on the market. Plus, it would completely cut out all the need for illegal drug trafficking (in pot) and that alone would cut down on crime. And it would cut down on the dollars that are literally removed out of circulation here in the good ole USA . . . as the product would be bought and sold right here - so no money having to be laundered or carried out of this country (and becoming part of the GDP for Mexico and Canada and god knows wherever else the stuff is grown).

I think there is enuff historical data just from my generation to show that there are people who have smoked pot for decades and never used any other drug - so can that "gateway" theory. People who smoke pot are mellowing out, not looking for the experience one gets w/ cocaine or (shivers) heroin. Not that I would know! I am so against drugs - I don't even like to take tylenol (bad for your liver) unless I have no choice and need some kind of pain killer.

But for the life of me . . . I don't see how one can drink alcoholic beverages and then be so rabid against marijuana. ????

So I have been in favor of legalizing marijuana for a long time, b/c it would benefit society by 1. raising tax revenue 2. reducing criminal activity 3. keeping our dollars at home 4. keeping the product pure/free of contaminants. 5. de-criminalizing medicinal use for glaucoma and cancer patients.

There are other reasons, too, but those are off the top of my head.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Hey, someone's already looking for a shed or a utility room, sounds a little suspicious to me, hmmm.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Oh, I had no idea that you moderated. I mean I always see your police I just didn't know. OK, that was my Spicoli moment.

Shoot, I haven't done anything today except post, can I become a professional poster?
Well, see, Nancy, it's just the pleasure of our company that keeps drawing you back.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Well, see, Nancy, it's just the pleasure of our company that keeps drawing you back.
That's true!

I am racking up the reputation points from the dog pet forum regarding my sleeping labs flatuence.

Alright, gotta play ball w/Dlabby before it gets dark, he's giving me the button eyes, I'll be back.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I am racking up the reputation points from the dog pet forum regarding my sleeping labs flatuence.

I don't think any statement will sell me on hitting up another forum than that one.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:

I guess you thought I am just bitchy at times . Dark letter names and a star are all moderators.
Im not professional it all volunteer but if you can find someone to fund you Have At Ir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte