Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,427,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
!!WOW!! Need I say more?

Guess she told me, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,427,708 times
I had to laugh at that one!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 PM

84 posts, read 123,868 times
If this were remotely true, I would hire an employment attorney. Banks are having a hard time getting tellers. If you were qualified, then there wouldn't be a problem if you hadn't worked in 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrasc View Post
It is scary. Fact is people are discriminated against even though it is against the law. I applied for a teller job at a local bank. My sister applied too. We know people that work there. I called and asked about setting up and interview and was told there weren't any openings. My sister called and asked the same thing, they told her the job was still available and they were working on it. We know the job is available because we have a friend that works there and she told us it wasn't filled yet. So go figure. I guess since I've been a stay at home mom for 10 years they don't want me even though I have lots of experience and a BS degree.

Good luck to all, my hubby is still looking for a job. He got laid off, that seems to happen a lot down here too.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:16 PM

474 posts, read 2,196,731 times
Amen, Brian. From the git go, people ask the questions, they get the honest answers, and then they do not want to hear it. Cost of living is all relative, no one has done their homework to that extent; and it's not all about the cost of living either; it's about expectations -- which will be the true awakening. Not to mention, so many people are buying at the top of the market.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:16 PM

84 posts, read 123,868 times
BrianH1970 -
what did your brother-in law's sister do down here? banking is a huge field. it sounds more like she didn't want to work or she tried to live above her own means. people from ny/nj move here with grand illusions to buy the biggest homes they can because of the cost and then can't maintain them.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,427,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Amen, Brian. From the git go, people ask the questions, they get the honest answers, and then they do not want to hear it. Cost of living is all relative, no one has done their homework to that extent; and it's not all about the cost of living either; it's about expectations -- which will be the true awakening. Not to mention, so many people are buying at the top of the market.
Thank you, Annie! The excuse is that it always has to be something that these people are doing wrong which I find hysterical. If these people can make it in a state like New Jersey, then theoretically it should be an absolute cake walk. You come down with a company at the same rate of pay, one that's higher than down here, yet your check decreases due to having NC tax it to death. But you still made it work in New Jersey. So with that in mind the "do the homework" thing doesn't hold an ounce of water. But I'm the bad guy when I post a reality that nobody wants to hear.

Always the bad guy. Me.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 03-22-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-22-2007, 05:57 PM

189 posts, read 581,527 times
I have done my research. My cost of living is going down over 50% (majority is my home from $500k to $250k and my taxes from $8k to $3k). My salary will remain the same. Most jobs I have researched (financial/accounting fields) pay more in Charlotte.

Maybe I was that underpaid in CT?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,427,708 times
drew exactly what ive been trying to say.. our housing costs are going to be 50% less than what they are here..including a mortgage and taxes...

Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 PM

297 posts, read 1,142,629 times
Just reading and adding to another thread. Something came to my attention there after reading posts by Lovesmtns, Carolina_native and Carolinablue. This info might help you guys with your jobs search. Would appear the Charlotte Observer posted that Charlotte gained 300,000 people in 2006. While the Charlotte Chamber states that it added 12,087 new jobs in Charlotte in 2006. This might help explain some long delays in your job search.

Quote:
Carolina_native

496 posts, read 40,597 times
Carolina_native is a jewel in the roughCarolina_native is a jewel in the roughCarolina_native is a jewel in the roughCarolina_native is a jewel in the rough
Default Charlotte Area Population Boom
The front page of the Charlotte Observer today talked about all the growth in the Charlotte area. Here are are some interesting facts I thought Id post. These statistic are gathered from the time of July 2000 - July 2006

1. NC added 800,000 people, and the Charlotte area took in 300,000 of them.

2. Hottest region of the Carolinas are bedroom communities around Charlotte, the Triangle, and Myrtle beach.

3. Union county is the Nations 15th fastest growing county.

4. Union county grew by 42%, adding 52,000 people. Mecklenburg grew by 19%, adding 130,000 people.

5. Mecklenburg county granted 18,089 building permits in 2006, a record. Cornelius, in northern Mecklenburg county, passed a moratorium on most new residential development so that the city can keep up.

6. Union county officials say that a 17 cent property tax increase would be necessary over the next 4 year to keep up with new school construction.

7. The state is predicted to add 3 million more people by 2030, making NC the 12th most populous state.

8. NC grew by 10.1%, while SC grew by 7.7%.

9. Mecklenburg county counted 827,445 people in 2006, breaking the 800,000 mark for the first time ever.

10. Wake county is growing faster than Mecklenburg, and will surpass Mecklenburgs population by 2016.

11. In 13 rural NC counties, the population actually shrank.

NC Demographer Bill Tillman said that economic events could change everything, while most of the nations housing markets tanked, NC's continued to boom, "are we behind it or did we miss it?" he asked.

- Source Charlotte Observer. March, 22nd 2007 edition.

Quote:
lovesMountains

2,213 posts, read 172,697 times
Off the Chamber of Commerce website, sorry don't have time to waste looking up business names and percentages :

Cost of living below the national average
City, County and State AAA bond ratings
Average of 587 airline flights daily
12,087 new jobs for 2006 $16 billion in annual retail sales
1st most popular move destination
1st America's most livable communities
1st economic strength ranking
2nd largest banking center (controls over $2 trillion in assets)
2nd best city for entrepreneurs
3rd best city for corporate headquarters
3rd best city for business
4th best city for relocating singles
6th in number of Fortune 500 headquarters
12th most active airport in the country
21st largest city

Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,764,651 times
Duke1989,

The 300,000 stat is the amount of people who migrated to Mecklenburg County over of a 6 year period; from 2000 to 2006. The 12,000 jobs lovesmountains quoted was for "one year", 2006. A few things to point out, Mecklenburg County's total workforce is only about 400,000 people. All 800,000 people in the County "don't work". You have kids, old people, students, etc. Second, Mecklenburg county's unemployment rate is just over 4%. That's pretty dog gone good conpared to most places in the country. Bottom line, your experiences in Charlotte appear to have been bad, and that's unfortunate. But trying to paint the city as some dying place full of unemployed and under employed people is not very realistic. The numbers just don't bear that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte