Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM

48 posts, read 151,205 times

Advertisements

I must say that this board has been such a huge help to me in researching our move from LI, NY to Union County. You are all such a helpful, knowledgeable bunch! We have made our decision to move to Union County, Weddington area. Now it is time to begin my job search. I am looking for an administrative and or teaching position for next school year. I need some info. on the best Elem. schools in that area. Really don’t want to commute more than 20- 30 min. I know that Wesley Chapel is highly regarded and that three new schools are opening for the upcoming school year. Any other suggestions that you have would be appreciated. I am especially interested in anyone that is already teaching in a particular elementary school that may have some positives/negatives to share. Also, if you have children in a school that you are pleased with I would love to know. I have done a bunch of research in terms of school report cards, etc… but I want some more personal experiences and insights. Please PM me if you do not want to post. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 06:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Kona,
Rea View Elem is brand new and not far from Weddington they will be opening for the school year fall 07...there is Sandy Ridge excellent school from what parents and 1 teacher I spoke with, there is Marvin Elem, Kensington Elem then there is Weddington Elem which I hear is also excellent as then there is of course Wesley Chapel and then the new elem school Rocky Ridge I believe is the name but dont Quote me as Ive done COUNTLESS homework and reserach and we will be moving to the Marvin/Waxhaw area for numerous of reasons and schools are 1 of them....Hope another Teacher can give you some insight..If you need an awesome realtor who does union county and especially Marvin/Waxhaw/Weddington and Wesley Chapel pls PM me...

Good Luck to you
Staci

Old 02-27-2007, 03:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I am a teacher. I am not currently working, but have been offered a job for next year and have been involved in the schools this past year. I ork at the secondary level but my kids are elementary.

The Marvin and Weddington clusters are all great schools. At the Union County website it outlines which elem. schools will feed into those schools. Sandy Ridge, Marvin and the new Rae View will all be outstanding schools.

Wesley Chapel and Weddington Elem. will be great schools as well. The new elem. school (Rocky Point???) has some upset because it will be pulling in kids from Walter Bickett, whose test scores are considerably lower. Their kids are currently at Wesley Chapel and will be sent to the new school in the fall.

My STRONG suggestion is to move CLOSE to the elem. school of your choice so that your kids will not be rezoned. Our local elem. is literally 1/2 mile away and we will not be rezoned even if they add another school at this point.

I went to the Union Academy parent meeting last night and was truly impressed. I would love for my kids to go there, but it is a charter and all lottery system, so the chances of my kids getting in are slim unless I were to work there.

Dawn

Old 02-27-2007, 05:29 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,939 times
I have really enjoyed Hemby Bridge Elementary. They have a really good staff there that works very well with the children. I have always been happy to see the work my son is doing and how much more he looks forward to going to school now.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Oh yes by the way the new rocky school will be pulling from 4 schools, it is on the webiste through UCPS and you can click on that schools website and it give you all the schools that will be going....it looks like MOST of them are going to the new school and Wesley Chapel will be just the Wesley Chapel kids From what I can tell....check it out the ucps site is awesome, it also gives you a map of which areas are ZONED for which schools....good luck

Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I want to add that you are very wise to look at this now!

Last night at the Union Academy meeting and lottery sign up (charter school), one parent was telling me how horrible the local ps near here was and how she doesn't plan to ever send her kids there.

I said, "Can I just ask you something? Why did you buy a house in an area where you didn't like the ps?" She seriously looked at me and said, "You know, I really don't know. That wasn't too smart was it? And I just bought it last year too!"

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte