Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with having a 1 cent sales tax in Mecklenburg county to speed up light rail constructio
Yes 17 62.96%
No 8 29.63%
Not sure 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,361,575 times

Advertisements

How many of you are in favor of having a 1 cent sales tax to speed up light rail construction?

Here are some videos of the current LYNX line in action!!! Be sure to click the "high quality" icon for a clearer picture. Enjoy!!!

Thanksgiving Day

YouTube - Thanksgiving Day

Panthers' Sunday

YouTube - Panthers Sunday

YouTube - Panthers Sunday

Bobcats' night

YouTube - Bobcats game night

Midnight Saturday Train

YouTube - urban charlotte

South End and Uptown LYNX tour

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

I think a 1 cent tax is a small price to pay for more of the above videos!!! What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,019,584 times
As I don't live near any planned Lynx line, I'd just be paying more taxes for the benefit of people in other neighborhoods. Sorry, NO.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,361,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
As I don't live near any planned Lynx line, I'd just be paying more taxes for the benefit of people in other neighborhoods. Sorry, NO.
Hopefully the 1 cent tax could expand the current plan to more neighborhoods (yours included). If it did that, would you vote yes?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM

330 posts, read 1,037,004 times
If you are in favor of raising money to pay for light rail expansion, how about you start a private foundation to raise the money? Forcing folks who have never and most likely will never use mass transit in Charlotte to pay for it is immoral.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,981,495 times
Nope.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
If you are in favor of raising money to pay for light rail expansion, how about you start a private foundation to raise the money? Forcing folks who have never and most likely will never use mass transit in Charlotte to pay for it is immoral.
Spoken like a true Libertarian

But let my ask you a serious question...if this 1 cent tax would allow more people to use the light rail and take them off the roads and interstates, wouldn't this be a GOOD thing for all of us overall?

It's the same thing as the principal behind free public education that we all have to pay taxes for - society as a whole benefits so why shouldn't the whole society help pay for it, even if you don't have kids or your kids are grown?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,306,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Spoken like a true Libertarian

But let my ask you a serious question...if this 1 cent tax would allow more people to use the light rail and take them off the roads and interstates, wouldn't this be a GOOD thing for all of us overall?

It's the same thing as the principal behind free public education that we all have to pay taxes for - society as a whole benefits so why shouldn't the whole society help pay for it?

^^ Kind of like how everybody who pays taxes are helping to fund schools ..... even those of us without children.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,019,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Hopefully the 1 cent tax could expand the current plan to more neighborhoods (yours included). If it did that, would you vote yes?
No. At the rate these projects go, I'll be retired or laid-off before I had a chance to use it. I vote for public servants to manage the money the city brings in now, not to have them think up new ways to take more of my money away.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM

677 posts, read 2,239,601 times
If I could use the lightrail to travel between University/Lake area to uptown/southend before I retire, then I'll pay an extra 1c tax... But I don't think this will happen do to poor budgeting and planning that goes on around clt. Right now it's easier for me to drive to where the light rail goes then to walk to it and ride it. But if It could get to and from the university area w/o driving in rush hour then I'm all for it.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,415,183 times
Ideally the thing to do would be to increase fares until the project is paid for and then drop the fares back. Ask anyone who knows anything about the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway tolls how that worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte