Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 PM

18 posts, read 25,391 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are moving to Charlotte in August and are looking to buy a house then.
As my husband works in SC, we are looking into some south suburb neighborhood.
We have two kids below 3, so education quality and safety will be huge for us. Actually, education is the most...

Could you guys nicely suggest a neighborhood in the south (actually the far south the better as that's closer to where my husband is as he commutes through 77) that offers great living for family with little kids?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavity05 View Post
Hi, We are moving to Charlotte in August and are looking to buy a house then.
As my husband works in SC, we are looking into some south suburb neighborhood.
We have two kids below 3, so education quality and safety will be huge for us. Actually, education is the most...

Could you guys nicely suggest a neighborhood in the south (actually the far south the better as that's closer to where my husband is as he commutes through 77) that offers great living for family with little kids?

Many thanks!
If he is working in SC, why not just live in Fort Mill, SC?? It's a great community with many nice neighborhoods and good schools

Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 PM

As we are not familiar with the city, Fort Mill, SC seems to be a pretty big area, right? is there any particular small area with good elementary, etc?
Does Fort Mill has a lot of family with kids?
Actually, tax wise, is living in SC better of NC better?

Thanks for your quick response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If he is working in SC, why not just live in Fort Mill, SC?? It's a great community with many nice neighborhoods and good schools

Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
As we are not familiar with the city, Fort Mill, SC seems to be a pretty big area, right? is there any particular small area with good elementary, etc?
Does Fort Mill has a lot of family with kids?
Actually, tax wise, is living in SC better of NC better?

Thanks for your quick response!
Fort Mill in tiny compared to Charlotte It's a town of about 10,000 that is really just becoming a bedroom community for Charlotte. There are only 2 high schools there. What is your price range?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
Ft. Mill has outstanding schools in all ranges (K-12). So long as you are in Ft. Mill or Tega Cay, you are safe even if they re-zone, as all schools are good. That's in York Co., not Lancaster Co, which has some ft. Mill addresses. Although I believe the Lancaster schools (Indianland) are good, too.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM

As we are just at the starting point of the research, I don't have much idea of the pricing.
How much is the 2500-3000 sqft house in Fort Mill?
Does public transportation of Charlotte reach Fort Mill?

How about Rock Hill? even further south on the map...

Thanks!

Quote:
Fort Mill in tiny compared to Charlotte It's a town of about 10,000 that is really just becoming a bedroom community for Charlotte. There are only 2 high schools there. What is your price range?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Great to get consistent comments from you nice guys. I assume you mean the public education is good, no need to go for private, right?

How about even south in Rock Hill?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ft. Mill has outstanding schools in all ranges (K-12). So long as you are in Ft. Mill or Tega Cay, you are safe even if they re-zone, as all schools are good. That's in York Co., not Lancaster Co, which has some ft. Mill addresses. Although I believe the Lancaster schools (Indianland) are good, too.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Great to get consistent comments from you nice guys. I assume you mean the public education is good, no need to go for private, right?

How about even south in Rock Hill?

Thanks.
Glad to help In Fort Mill public schools are ALL good, every single one - not quite so in Rock Hill I'm afraid (which is bigger).

Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
As we are just at the starting point of the research, I don't have much idea of the pricing.
How much is the 2500-3000 sqft house in Fort Mill?
Does public transportation of Charlotte reach Fort Mill?

How about Rock Hill? even further south on the map...

Thanks!
Further south than Fort Mill you'd really want to ask your questions on the SC board - it's a bit too far removed to be part of Charlotte. Charlotte's bus system (CATS) does go just to the Fort Mill line. There's a park and ride you have to get to but then you have an express ride to uptown Charlotte. Will you be working in Charlotte? (Because I thought you said your husband was working on the SC side).

Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 AM

I will try to get a job, wish me good luck.
So, there is a bus, no train, right? how express that could be?
So Rock Hill is kind of out of reach of Charlotte, but at least Fort Mill is the best among other southern towns of reach education and family friendly wise?
Many thanks!

Quote:
Further south than Fort Mill you'd really want to ask your questions on the SC board - it's a bit too far removed to be part of Charlotte. Charlotte's bus system (CATS) does go just to the Fort Mill line. There's a park and ride you have to get to but then you have an express ride to uptown Charlotte. Will you be working in Charlotte? (Because I thought you said your husband was working on the SC side).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte