Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:02 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,713,202 times

Advertisements

Anybody have an experience with building, having one built or using a wood fired oven? Sometimes this is confused with cooking OVER wood.Not that type of cooking but firing up a specially built oven, made from fire bricks that uses the intense heat to cook with. This is the type of oven that certain restaurants use for "wood fired oven pizza" for example.

I have downloaded a ton of information and I am on the brink of moving ahead to have one built. (I resigned myself to...I can't build one myself without it looking like a rockpile out in my backyard.) My problem is I don't know anyone personally that has experience with these ovens. I would like to know more about techniques for cooking beyond just a pizza. Who built it for you? Unexpected problems. All of the little tips that are valuble when you get it first hand from people with experience.
TIA
je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,738,960 times
Can't help you, but good post. I have thought of the same thing many times, but have not followed through. Hope you get some good replies.

lln

Old 03-29-2009, 07:11 AM

In the past hour or so I have found several forum boards that I am sure will begin to answer some of the 50 questions that I have regarding the construction. LOL. I have made a mental note to make a You Tube of the entire construction and my first pizza.Hope to have my first pizza by this summer.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,738,960 times
I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE KIND OF OUTDOOR OVEN YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, THIS IS A BBQ (real bbq) PIT, but I thought the guy did a very nice job of documenting the construction. Just an idea for you to consider.

My grand scheme was to do a 2-for, I wanted to build a pit like this, but have a back or side for a wood fired pizza oven.

Again, I am posting this as an example of documenting a pits construction.

The Lexington Collection

lln

Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Anybody have an experience with building, having one built or using a wood fired oven? Sometimes this is confused with cooking OVER wood.Not that type of cooking but firing up a specially built oven, made from fire bricks that uses the intense heat to cook with. This is the type of oven that certain restaurants use for "wood fired oven pizza" for example.

I have downloaded a ton of information and I am on the brink of moving ahead to have one built. (I resigned myself to...I can't build one myself without it looking like a rockpile out in my backyard.) My problem is I don't know anyone personally that has experience with these ovens. I would like to know more about techniques for cooking beyond just a pizza. Who built it for you? Unexpected problems. All of the little tips that are valuble when you get it first hand from people with experience.
TIA
je
I know exactly what you're talking about, John. I would absolutely recommend posting for info on the Philadelphia board.

There are bakeries in Philly which used these ovens & during the holidays, they bake turkeys for their neighbors.

That won't solve your problem of who to build it for you, but I think you can get info on the uses in Philly.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM

264 posts, read 854,908 times
Cosmos Cafe has a real wood-fired oven and it was specially ordered and built at the factory. They use it only for wood-fired pizza, but I am sure it can be used for other foods also. I'll ask the chef next time I go there if he has ever tried to cook anything else in there.
When I was little we lived in Greece for a while and my grandmother used to cook like that for us when we went to the village. I still remember the bread and chicken she used to cook...it was so delicious and the whole village could smell the fresh bread baking. I told my husband I want one for our backyard when we do our landscaping.
I could get you more information if you are interested. Let me know...

Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 AM

Vicki--thanks for the offer. I spent a good part of yesterday putting together the plans for this project and I am going to start next week. I didn't realize how much one really needs to know from the technical side before you even begin construction. For example: types of brick needed, how to place thermometers in the construction of the dome (oven) to record temps of 800 degrees F, type of cement needed for these temps, and on and on.I think I have it worked out and will keep you all posted.
je

Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,812 times
Default Outdoor wood oven

Did you ever build this outdoor oven, John? How did it work out for you? We are thinking of building one in our backyard to bake bread/rolls during the summer. Let us know what progress you've made & if you ever made that pizza, yum! - K

Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deritamom View Post
Did you ever build this outdoor oven, John? How did it work out for you? We are thinking of building one in our backyard to bake bread/rolls during the summer. Let us know what progress you've made & if you ever made that pizza, yum! - K
Literally poring the 6' x 5' base (pad) tomorrow at 9am.It's a start!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,832,598 times
Cool, you'll have to post a picture of the the first pizza coming out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte