Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Awwwww, Jack, you know this is all tongue-in-cheek.

My point is really that our taxes are gonna necessarily rise just b/c we are getting newcomers. They come and we need more 1. roads 2. sewers 3. schools 4. other public services. So our taxes are gonna go up and that seems unfair. People come here to find lower taxes but the mere fact they arrive causes the rest of us to have a tax INCREASE.

Just my silly way of saying . . . pretty ironic that people are coming here so their taxes will be lower - and we, as the "hosts" of their new city end up paying higher taxes just cause we said "Howdy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Art - how the heck did you find that video? ROFL!!! Perfect!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I went to look that up and the amount of stoner speak you have to wade through to get some solid info is amazing, maaaaaaaannnn.....
Well, just take my word for it. Pot blends in well w/ tomato plants, LOL. The whole idea is to figure out a way to make it blend when a helicopter flies over.

I used to have some acreage in the Brushy Mountains and the biggest pot bust (at that time) in NC was made only a few miles from my house!!! There had been helicopters flying over the property for days. The Sheriff told me that they were DEA officers, hunting for marijuana plants being grown in big gardens, and camouflaged by tomato plants, LOL. He said they use some kind of thermal sensor thingie cause the pot shows up as a different color than the tomato plants. Now that is what I was told. Might be hooey . . . but he was the Sheriff, FWIW.

For all i know, he might have just told me that and then followed me home to see if I ran to my tomato patch and starting pulling stuff up by the roots, Hee Hee.

Marijuana is indigenous in the mountains of NC. I have found it growing wild near Boone. Really! Now you know why we all love Boone, LOL. I was told the Cherokee used to smoke it. Don't know if that is true, either.

Now - legalizing pot and putting a tax on it - like we do with liquor - that would bring in some revenue.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
How about changing the signs you see when coming into Charlotte so they read "Now Entering Charlotte. No Vacancy."?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I know how to stop the migration here.

Let's just stipulate that everyone who moves here after 5/1/2009 has to pay double taxes on their homes. So as not to be overly punitive, we will make that a temporary tax - only lasts until 1/1/2015.

So I guess this will be know as the Yankee Tax!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
How about changing the signs you see when coming into Charlotte so they read "Now Entering Charlotte. No Vacancy."?
How about just stopping people at the state border? Requiring a VISA to enter our state, even for vacation? You can't get in without a permit. That would raise some revenue, too!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
So I guess this will be know as the Yankee Tax!!!!!!
No, we would call it the State Relocation Tax. You would have to fill out papers proving you have a job here b/f we let you even cross the state border.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How about just stopping people at the state border? Requiring a VISA to enter our state, even for vacation? You can't get in without a permit. That would raise some revenue, too!!!!
The heck with the tax!! I say if we put a toll booth at the state line, and catch all of the daily SC commuters- who think they're so much smarter than those that live in the city- as they come across. That, and tighten up on the people who live in perpetuity with ther old state license plates ( I see on a daily basis at least 5 cars with SC license plates), and our coffers would be full to overflowing! No sense in forcing people to live elsewhere, but work in our fine city.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
The heck with the tax!! I say if we put a toll booth at the state line, and catch all of the daily SC commuters- who think they're so much smarter than those that live in the city- as they come across. That, and tighten up on the people who live in perpetuity with ther old state license plates ( I see on a daily basis at least 5 cars with SC license plates), and our coffers would be full to overflowing! No sense in forcing people to live elsewhere, but work in our fine city.
LOL! I suspect that would give a big infusion to Meck's coffers!!! I say - tell your state legislator that we have a new way to raise revenue. Our SC neighbors will not like us very much, tho.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:29 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
I know this is kind of a joke but geez.. Why hate on the newcomers so much. To be specific it wouldn't even be legal, second, what would be considered a person from NC, have to be born here? 1 year? What if I rented for a year? All those people trying to sell there homes would love this too.

anywho..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte