Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Well, in Charlotte and Huntersville in particular, vinyl is about all one will see 75% of the time, especially in all these new neighborhoods.

I am in the fence market, too. I'm going to Home Depot this week and asking for whomever they contract with so I can compare the pricing and check references for the various companies they use. My parents just did that and it was quick, efficient, and affordable.
I live in Huntersville, too, in a new neighborhood that's not quite complete, and we mostly have wood semi-private fences with a few metal here and there. I've seen a couple split-rail with chicken wire. I do not believe I have seen a vinyl fence at all in this neighborhood.

We are putting in a fence within the next month. The vast majority of homeowners in this neighborhood have used Joe Newman. He's an older man and does all the work himself, much cheaper than any estimate that we received from Home Depot or another privately owned fence company. His work looks good and obviously he is receiving many recommendations from neighbors in this area, considering he's probably built 98-99% of the fences in here. If you want his info, PM me and I will provide it. I don't know what areas he covers, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 AM

55 posts, read 276,745 times
In the newer communities - where you back right up to your neighbor - I guess a fence does make for good neighbors.

Once the fence is in - - makes sense to plant something pretty - any suggestions?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Evergreens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll-to-clt View Post
In the newer communities - where you back right up to your neighbor - I guess a fence does make for good neighbors.

Once the fence is in - - makes sense to plant something pretty - any suggestions?
I'm partial to evergreens myself. I like the Dwarf Loropetalums and Indian Hawthornes. Low maintenance and once established, they don't require a lot of water. We had them in FL. My MIL also suggested a Knockout Rose. Claims it's low maintenance and looks nice all winter, kind of a shrubby rose, and they don't blacken like other roses here. Also goes along with my color scheme that I'm working on.

There are deciduous trees like dogwoods, red buds, etc. It all depends on what you're looking for and what kind of light you have...

We have a lot of landscape projects to do ourselves, so would love to hear any other suggestions... Trust me, I'm not going out to plant flowers, I just want low maintenance evergreens!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,296 times
Thumbs up Great Fence Company

Try Putnam Fencing Inc. 813.994.2212. Website http://www.putnamfencing.com (broken link). Great customer service and good pricing!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,850 times
I'm looking for bamboo fencing. I went online and found two interested in, but in San Diego, CA. Does anyone know of local in Char-Meck and surrounding areas?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
LSH

1 posts, read 3,858 times
Default Any good fencing companies?

After reading a couple of good reports on Suburban Fence Company, I decided to give them a call. I was disappointed with the result.

I had a fence installed several years ago (by another company) and they put in a 20'+ wide swinging gate that is now dragging the ground. The gate is mounted to a large post but the gate is still too heavy.

I called American Fence and a salesman came by with a good fix: make the one gate into two. I called Suburban Fence hoping to get a 2nd quote before continuing. I am not sure who I spoke with, but my experience was not too good. They were not interested in making alterations to the gate. I am a little baffled that, in this business climate, that they would not at least take a look.

My application is commercial. For anyone looking, I was very impressed with the salesman at American Fence & Supply. His knowledge is based on many years of experience. I have not yet used them, but this man was pretty sharp!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:02 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSH View Post
After reading a couple of good reports on Suburban Fence Company, I decided to give them a call. I was disappointed with the result.

I had a fence installed several years ago (by another company) and they put in a 20'+ wide swinging gate that is now dragging the ground. The gate is mounted to a large post but the gate is still too heavy.

I called American Fence and a salesman came by with a good fix: make the one gate into two. I called Suburban Fence hoping to get a 2nd quote before continuing. I am not sure who I spoke with, but my experience was not too good. They were not interested in making alterations to the gate. I am a little baffled that, in this business climate, that they would not at least take a look.

My application is commercial. For anyone looking, I was very impressed with the salesman at American Fence & Supply. His knowledge is based on many years of experience. I have not yet used them, but this man was pretty sharp!

Hmmmm...are you sure you called Suburban Fence? I have referred them to several people in and around my neighborhood and everyone reported positive results, based on minor and major work done.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but that really is VERY surprising!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM

17 posts, read 36,958 times
Ive used makeover my yard for several projects; fencing being one of them. They were the cheapest of quotes and provided excellent quality. Brian at 455-REDO is the owner

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM

23 posts, read 74,628 times
Give Guardian Fence a call, they have a very good reputation. www.guardianfenceco.com

Old 06-29-2009, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,707 times
Default We love our new fence!!

We weren't sure what type of fence we wanted. We don't have an HOA with any restrictions. We had Gateway Fencing come out and he really gave us some good ideas. We decided to go with white vinyl privacy. After we had Gateway out, we had our new fence before we knew it. They walked us through the whole thing. They were great and I would recommend them to EVERYONE. Their email address is [email]gatewayfencing@carolina.rr.com[/email]. ENJOY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte