Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:55 AM

7 posts, read 22,139 times

Advertisements

Hi - We are looking for off Campus housing, and have found mutiple sites for apartment complexes like Sabal Point, Pines at Carolina, and Waterford Place that are reasonably priced for a student in South Charlotte. University area (the other location we were considering) was a little more pricey, and didn't seem to have the shopping that is readily available in South Charolette. (or maybe we just couldn't find it?) Is anyone familiar with these complexes, or have any recommendations for any others in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 08:02 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherHen View Post
Hi - We are looking for off Campus housing, and have found mutiple sites for apartment complexes like Sabal Point, Pines at Carolina, and Waterford Place that are reasonably priced for a student in South Charlotte. University area (the other location we were considering) was a little more pricey, and didn't seem to have the shopping that is readily available in South Charolette. (or maybe we just couldn't find it?) Is anyone familiar with these complexes, or have any recommendations for any others in the area?
Okay, I'll try to help...First of all, do you mean Waterford Square in Pineville off of hwy 51? That is a nice looking complex, set behind a school and some businesses, not on the main road in other words. Problem for me is, it is kind of a big complex and in Charlotte, large complexes tend to be magnets for crime. I would check with the Pineville Police by giving them a call and asking them which of these apartments they see the most trouble in.

I have forgotten, is your son going to UNCC or JW uptown? The reason I ask is, south Charlotte to UNCC would be quite a drive in traffic every day. I do personally prefer south Charlotte myself over the Univesity area however. Here are two complexes I have heard good things about in the south Charlotte/Pineville area:

Marquis of Carmel Valley

Dominion Crossing
8850 Park Road
Charlotte , NC 28210
704-552-9884

What I like about Dominion Crossing is how small it is, but your son might find that makes it hard to make many friends there. But is a few miles closer to uptown for a better commute if he needs to get uptown. The Pines at Carolina and Sabal Point are the furthest out and getting uptown from them would be the longest commute. If he is going to UNCC they are quite the haul from it, even using I485 to get there. I know of another complex I like to recommend in southeast Charlotte near Matthews if you are interested in that direction?

Old 04-10-2007, 04:57 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,802,782 times
Sabal Point is a dump. There's a lot of crime in that complex and they just painted the outside of the buildings to try and spruce it up...but from what I've seen is there's a lot of problems there. You can call the Pineville Police Dept. and ask them

There's a lot of other choices for apts in south charlotte that I think would be much safer. I'd try the apts. on Ballantyne Commons Pky or along Rea Road for starters

Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 PM

Thanks - that is the kind of info I am looking for. I will call the Police Dept, but I didn't think they would give me that type of information. He's going to JW - we were warned about traffic from the north, so that is why we decided to concentrate on the south. Since JW is right off I77, we were thinking although 20+ miles, that it would be a straight shot up from the Pineville area. I willing to look at anything. We are using apartments.com for choices, and have recently found apartmentratings.com for reviews. The ratings are not acceptable. Thank you for your help.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 PM

I neglected to respond to the Matthews area - I assumed it would be too long of a commute - but right now safety is a much bigger concern. I assume rt74 would be used for commuting?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I neglected to respond to the Matthews area - I assumed it would be too long of a commute - but right now safety is a much bigger concern. I assume rt74 would be used for commuting?
Actually, no to both those concerns. The place I am thinking of would be the closest one to uptown we have talked about so far - about 9 miles from JW. And he could use hwy 74/Independence Blvd, but wouldn't have to as there are several alternatives. Look into Galleria Village Apartments. Those folks should cut me a check because I recommend them so often LOL, but they really are NICE. Also, they are new (about a year old) and in a safe area - Monroe Rd at Sardis Road North. The complex is right on the city bus line and your son could take the bus to JW every day if he wanted to - avoid driving altogether! There are several fast food places, grocery stores, drug stores, a Walmart and a movie theater within walking distance. I tell you, this would be my top pick for my kid

Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, no to both those concerns. The place I am thinking of would be the closest one to uptown we have talked about so far - about 9 miles from JW. And he could use hwy 74/Independence Blvd, but wouldn't have to as there are several alternatives. Look into Galleria Village Apartments. Those folks should cut me a check because I recommend them so often LOL, but they really are NICE. Also, they are new (about a year old) and in a safe area - Monroe Rd at Sardis Road North. The complex is right on the city bus line and your son could take the bus to JW every day if he wanted to - avoid driving altogether! There are several fast food places, grocery stores, drug stores, a Walmart and a movie theater within walking distance. I tell you, this would be my top pick for my kid
http://www.galleriaapts.com/j/s/i/iFrame.jsp?p_usid=&p_pgid=9&p_poid=KFFGQ1429F&p_fp id=KGGJN1429F (broken link)

Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 PM

Thank you!!! I will definately look into this property. I so appreciate all of your help. Sometimes at these places looks can be so deceiving...

Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you!!! I will definately look into this property. I so appreciate all of your help. Sometimes at these places looks can be so deceiving...
Please let us know how it all works out

Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 AM

4 posts, read 18,467 times
If ur thinking of Matthews Crossing, don't! The management staff treats the tenants as if they were animals in a kennel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte