Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM

31 posts, read 134,995 times

Advertisements

I got a lot of help with my relocation search on city-data. I was considering Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. The Houston thread was so helpful. I've changed my mind. After more research, I've discovered that Charlotte is a walkable city. This is according to

Walkable Communities
Walkable Communities

To all of you who have knowledge about life in Charlotte, please give me more info on life in Charlotte - performing arts (I'm a visual artist and singer), theatres, unique shopping, dining, etc. Also, do you have a venue that shows outdoor movies on their lawn? I thought I might have read something on the Visit Charlotte site.

I'm also interested in the University of NC. I graduate next May and believe the school would be a great choice.

I've considered Charlotte before but ATL was my first choice. But Atlanta's crime is troubling to me since I am leaving a tough scary city now. No thanks on the crime (go to myfoxatlanta.com). It is totally out of control! If (and I will) move to Charlotte, ATL will be one of my getaways.

How about small business? I started a business online and would love to be in a city that embraces entrepreneurs.

I plan to start saving soon for my Summer 2009 move to Charlotte!

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited by ladyfree; 06-04-2008 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Highlighting subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfree View Post
I got a lot of help with my relocation search on city-data. I was considering Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. The Houston thread was so helpful. I've changed my mind. After more research, I've discovered that Charlotte is a walkable city. This is according to

Walkable Communities
Walkable Communities

To all of you who have knowledge about life in Charlotte, please give me more info on life in Charlotte - performing arts (I'm a visual artist and singer), theatres, unique shopping, dining, etc. Also, do you have a venue that shows outdoor movies on their lawn? I thought I might have read something on the Visit Charlotte site.

I'm also interested in the University of NC. I graduate next May and believe the school would be a great choice.

I've considered Charlotte before but ATL was my first choice. But Atlanta's crime is troubling to me since I am leaving a tough scary city now. No thanks on the crime (go to myfoxatlanta.com). It is totally out of control! If (and I will) move to Charlotte, ATL will be one of my getaways.

How about small business? I started a business online and would love to be in a city that embraces entrepreneurs.

I plan to start saving soon for my Summer 2009 move to Charlotte!

Thanks for any tips.

You graduate next spring? Does this mean you are a high school student now?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Sorry about that!

Sorry. I will have a degree in General Studies!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry. I will have a degree in General Studies!
OH! Okay

I find parts of Charlotte very walkable, especially uptown and the close in neighborhoods like Dilworth. Define "affordable" apartment so we can tell you if you'll find what you want in the uptown area.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM

There are several places you'll want to check out as music/visual arts lover:

North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center Home

Welcome to The Visulite Theatre!

Neighborhood Theatre

CharlotteCultureGuide.com: McGlohon Theatre, Charlotte

Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM

56 posts, read 161,016 times
There is so much theater here . . . I don't know where to begin. . . check out actorsgrapevine.com for more information . .also . . lots of real agents here that cast for movies, one tree hill, and other TV series that film in Willmington. . . Charlotte is soon to be the new little hollywood . . .

Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks for replying.

I am looking to rent for no more than $1000 a month. I am going through a separation and need a safe, affordable place to raise my 7 yr. old daughter.
I've always wanted to live in a downtown, urban setting surrounding by day and night happenings. I also love bookstores (avid reader here). Thanks again!

Looks like it will be uptown or a nearby neighborhood! Can't wait to visit this summer.

Last edited by ladyfree; 06-05-2008 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Wasn't finished with post.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM

I will check out the site for the theatres. Acting is not really something I've seriously considered but I wouldn't mind doing a play/musical with smaller companies.

I plan to visit Charlotte in August. Can you suggest a few places for a great dining experience?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,920 times
Quote:
Thanks for replying.

I am looking to rent for no more than $1000 a month. I am going through a separation and need a safe, affordable place to raise my 7 yr. old daughter.
I've always wanted to live in a downtown, urban setting surrounding by day and night happenings. I also love bookstores (avid reader here). Thanks again!

Looks like it will be uptown or a nearby neighborhood! Can't wait to visit this summer.
Uptown has come along ways since we moved in 2001. Uptown is very walkable and very safe.

I am affraid with a budget of $1,000 that would only get you into a 1 bedroom and you mentioned your daughter and you might need a 2 bedroom. Those would probably start aound $1,200 and up.

I reccommend Uptown highly but it isn't in-expensive.

South Park is nice & walkable...but will not offer that much other than a mall and a few restaurants. South Park is less expensive than Uptown though.

Be sure to call all the apartments Uptown...they may be running specials.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 06-05-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 PM

7 oh 4
Thanks for that information! I want to live, work and play where all the happenings are. I would be willing to live in South Park, but Uptown sounds more like what I desire. I plan to start doing volunteer/internship work during this last year of school, so that I will be prepared to apply for Charlotte positions before graduation. I will have a General Studies degree with a minor in Communications. I'm applying to Bank of America among other companies.

I really appreciate the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte