Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 05:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,673 times

Advertisements

Is there a homeless problem in Charlotte? Is the local government doing anything about it? How the city takes care of its homeless tells alot about itself.

Where I come from, the city/county usually doesn't care much about this unfortunate people. Downtown is a special meeting place for them as well as any major interception where they can ask for change. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Charlotte has a ban on panhandling

Even though this article is slanted it may help you get an idea
Queens University of Charlotte

Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM

201 posts, read 1,282,494 times
Ive lived in Charlotte for a few years, and the "Problem" does not seem to really be a problem here. I have moved many times and lived in many places. I am usually shocked in Charlotte whenever I see a Homeless Person.
Now back in Tampa bay they hangout on every single corner and many of them bumrush you for money on the street and others try to sell you stupid stuff you don't want at gas stations. This is even in decent areas.

Theres quite a few homeless people just west of Uptown, but thats where the shelter and food place is, so it's expected. I also occasionally see some on Independance.
There isn't a whole lot from my personal experience. Like I said, in alot of other cities they just become part of your everyday routine... Drive down 5th street, stop at the light if its red and give $2 to Joe who hangs out there every day selling newspapers.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Is there a homeless problem in Charlotte? Is the local government doing anything about it? How the city takes care of its homeless tells alot about itself.

Where I come from, the city/county usually doesn't care much about this unfortunate people. Downtown is a special meeting place for them as well as any major interception where they can ask for change. Thanks.
Posted this in the past, so I'll just copy and paste...hope this helps answer your question.

This is a city that gets involved, led a lot of times by our different faith communities. The Room In the Inn program is an effort on the part of churches all over the city to give homeless men and women a place to sleep during the winter months. The participating churches round up volunteers to make an evening meal at their church and give the guests a place to shower and sleep for the night. The next morning another team of volunteers come in to make a hot breakfast and distribute bag lunches to the homeless before they are driven back to the uptown urban ministry center to either go to work or get to other appointments. All this happens 7 days a week during the winter without a single penny from local or state government. Most employers who have employees who make this volunteer effort encourage them by cutting them slack on coming in late or leaving early on the day they are volunteering.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:09 PM

64 posts, read 364,692 times
The church I'm joining is part of this effort too, yup.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 AM

36 posts, read 66,516 times
Definetly a homeless problem in charlotte. Been there all my life. You cant blame them all saying there all lazy many just cant find work. The recession. Plus nobody wants to hire a homeless person. Many have no family. Its sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte