Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,321 times

Advertisements

I'm interested strictly from an "investment" point of view. I have what I need for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Obviously it matters more as to which caliber matches which gun you actually own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
.....but that doesn't mean that the Federal Reserve is the only entity that can create dollars under our monetary system.
Who else does it?

It's the Federal Reserve that has the job to control money supply. They have had this role since the early 1900s. The Treasury does print dollars but that is at the behest of the Federal Reserve who pays them for the production costs. Go pull some cash out of your pocket. If you notice at the top you are actually holding a "Federal Reserve Note".

"United States Note" the dollar that everyone thinks they have, disappeared in 1971 and are no longer issued. So the dollar you have now is a note from the Federal Reserve. It is virtual money and only represents a debt to someone else. United States Notes were redeemable into something of tangible value, i.e. gold.

Last edited by lumbollo; 08-26-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
So after the collapse, let's make sure we go back to this gold standard. Look at what ourdollar would have done if it were still based on that when gold skyrocketed!

I hate to play deeper into this nut job of a thread...but to address bugguy's question...
In an apocalypse scenario such as we're discussing, I'd opt for not being the general "store" where people think they can go to for things they need. It would make you a target eventually and just flat out complicate your life during a very complicated time. My effort would be on making sure I always have an advantage over those around me (if I'm concerned with my survival). To be specific, I'd rather have ammo that I could use to get what I need than try to have ammo (or other things) that I *might* be able to trade for those things! Not saying I'd be the Jesse James outlaw of the town, but then again, we're talking about an apocalypse here!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Who else does it?
Private banks drive the money creation process, and the fed just comes along later and decides to print money so the banks will have reserves.

You're saying that banks sit around waiting on deposits, and then lend once they have those deposits.

In reality, (so I'm told, I'm not a banker..), banks lend first, creating money, and then find reserves later. So credit is created first and then after that, base money changes. Debt exceeds the money supply, not the other way around.

Quote:
It's the Federal Reserve that has the job to control money supply. They have had this role since the early 1900s. The Treasury does print dollars but that is at the behest of the Federal Reserve who pays them for the production costs.

Go pull some cash out of your pocket. If you notice at the top you are actually holding a "Federal Reserve Note".

"United States Note" the dollar that everyone thinks they have, disappeared in 1971 and are no longer issued. So the dollar you have now is a note from the Federal Reserve. It is virtual money and only represents a debt to someone else. United States Notes were redeemable into something of tangible value, i.e. gold.
No kidding. Now you're just being condescending.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I'm hoarding gasoline. I believe when the world becomes a barren wasteland, he who controls the gas will control the world.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm hoarding gasoline. I believe when the world becomes a barren wasteland, he who controls the gas will control the world.
What if I shoot your gas tanks?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
What if I shoot your gas tanks?
Unless your name is Mad Max, you're not getting through my gang.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I thought boot legging might be the way to go. So I am stocking up on sugar.

Kudzu Flower Wine

4 quarts well water
6 quarts fresh kudzu blossoms
4 cups sugar
1 gallon jug
1 balloon
Yeast

Pick kudzu blossoms when they are dry (mid-day). Rinse in running water to remove any foreign particles, dirt, or dust. Pour three quarts of boiling water over the blossoms and stir. Put a lid on the container and stir twice a day for four days.

Strain the liquid through a clean cloth. Press the blossoms to get all the liquid from them. Add four cups sugar. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Pour the dissolved yeast into the liquid. Stir well. Cover and let it stand for five days. Then transfer to a one-gallon jug. Add enough well water to bring the liquid within two inches below the neck of the jug. Attach the balloon to the top of the jug. Place jug in a cool dark place that is between 65° F to 75° F.

Periodically gently loosen the balloon and allow the gas to escape and then replace the balloon firmly on the neck of the jug. In approximately six weeks the balloon will stop expanding and the wine is done. Strain the wine through a clean cloth and transfer it to airtight bottles. (Optional: Drop five raisins into each one-gallon bottle.) Cork each bottle tightly. Allow it to sit for an additional six to twelve months before drinking.

http://grandpappy.info/rkudzu.htm

Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM

The stock market is so easy to beat. I listed below 4 easy steps to make millions:

1. Build a time machine
2. Read old newspapers
3. Go back in time
4. Buy low, sell high

Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Who else does it?

It's the Federal Reserve that has the job to control money supply. They have had this role since the early 1900s. The Treasury does print dollars but that is at the behest of the Federal Reserve who pays them for the production costs. Go pull some cash out of your pocket. If you notice at the top you are actually holding a "Federal Reserve Note".

rubber_factory is correct. Private banks do have the ability to create money. It's through the fractional reserve system. If the banks have a reserve of say $10, they can create $90 from it in addition to it and loan that out. That additional $90 was created through a loan by a bank. That loan can be for example your mortgage or my car payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte