Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
But what is the alternative to FRN? It would be better to go back to Treasury notes, but I doubt that will happen. Other than that, I don't see another viable alternative.
They could re-introduce Treasury Notes and even silver certificates and return the money system to something similar to what we had in the early 1960s. They could also allow alternative money systems that once existed in great numbers in this country. The Bush administration performed IMO an illegal raid on the Liberty Dollar in order to shut it down because the bankers perceived it too much a threat to their operation. It's currently in the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
They could re-introduce Treasury Notes and even silver certificates and return the money system to something similar to what we had in the early 1960s. They could also allow alternative money systems that once existed in great numbers in this country. The Bush administration performed IMO an illegal raid on the Liberty Dollar in order to shut it down because the bankers perceived it too much a threat to their operation. It's currently in the courts.
The Liberty Dollar offices were not raided because they were perceived as a threat to anyone. The operation is a sham, as far as I am concerned, as they print "suggested" dollar amounts on their coins. This is a deceptive tactic that is intended to confuse people into thinking their coins are legal tender as opposed to a voluntary private currency.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Default 2009 Native American Dollar

What's this gold colored coin all about? Got some of them at the bank today and teller told me she only had (3) rolls of 25's. Worth anything more than a buck?

I'm sure the answer is NO, but.....

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What's this gold colored coin all about? Got some of them at the bank today and teller told me she only had (3) rolls of 25's. Worth anything more than a buck? I'm sure the answer is NO, but.....
If you are talking about the circulated $1 Presidential or Native American coin, you are correct, it is worth $1. You can read about them here. They started to color them gold because people got them confused with the quarter but there is no gold in them. You can use them in the Lynx ticket machines and everyone will take them in place of the paper dollar.

The United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin Program

In 1979, the US Mint was ordered to shrink down the silver dollar (though it had no silver in it at that point) so that it would be more useful for everyday use and the above format was what they came up with with the Susan B. Anthony dollar. Unfortunately people got really confused with it and the attempt laid dormant until the early 2000s when they tried to revive it again with these same format presidential coins. In the mid-80s the mint was ordered to start making real silver dollars again but they are not used as circulating coins because the silver in them makes them worth about ~$17.00. It's really a beautiful coin, too bad most won't ever see it.

Last edited by lumbollo; 11-06-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 02:58 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
^^^^Thanks Lumbollo--guess I'll use them to buy a lottery tix. Heck, got to make money somehow. Have a lot of mouths to feed.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I copy and paste quotes from the legislation that say such things as: No more FHA loans to houses that are not certified as energy compliant. Anyone listening? NO MORE FHA LOANS. The majority of loans made in this country are FHA loans.

People say "no way - that can't happen." Well, just watch. We have a Prez who promised change. "Change we can believe in." And we are sho nuff gonna get it. Let's see how many folks out there believe it once it is law, and they can't sell their houses b/c they can't afford the new windows that cost $18,000 and are needed b/f their homes are certified as "energy compliant" . . . or their heat pump is not rated at high enuff SEER (or whever it is) and has to be replaced . . .

Then I bet we are all gonna be saying . . . "We got CHANGE, alright. Change we never believed could happen in America."
Ani I have been preaching that since I read the first Cap and Trade Bill ... disguised as American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 HR2454 and now Kerry and Boxer have their version. The Bill passed the House 6/26/09 and in the Senate now.

We built our home in 1977 and have maintained it over the years ... but if Cap and Trade passes we will never be able to sell our home nor will our children when we are dead and gone ... the Bill requires a Federal Inspection before you can sell your home and has to meet all the Federal Requirements according to the "Secretary" ... this is not your local inspectors checking your wiring, roof, etc. this is the FEDS coming in and telling you ... you cannot sell your home until you change your insulation, add new windows, change our the air and heat (the SEER) ... then they will post a label or sign on your property that you meet the Federal Requirements (like the energy star thing) ... until such time you cannot sell your home.

This Bill barely passed the House with the help of 8 RINOs ... and now it's in the Senate. People need to WAKE UP WAKE UP ... protecting the environment is one thing but throwing in these zingers in their Bills is wrong.

House Vote 477 - H.R.2454: On Passage

The Bill is online at: Thomas Govt Library

You have to google Kerry/Boxer to see what they are proposing.

Ammo ... we have been stocking up ammo since the Y2K scare. LOL Remember that ordeal!

Now ... some of you money people in the know ... I have some CD maturing and do I cash them in and put the money in my mattress??

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Ani I have been preaching that since I read the first Cap and Trade Bill ... disguised as American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 HR2454 and now Kerry and Boxer have their version. The Bill passed the House 6/26/09 and in the Senate now.

We built our home in 1977 and have maintained it over the years ... but if Cap and Trade passes we will never be able to sell our home nor will our children when we are dead and gone ... the Bill requires a Federal Inspection before you can sell your home and has to meet all the Federal Requirements according to the "Secretary" ... this is not your local inspectors checking your wiring, roof, etc. this is the FEDS coming in and telling you ... you cannot sell your home until you change your insulation, add new windows, change our the air and heat (the SEER) ... then they will post a label or sign on your property that you meet the Federal Requirements (like the energy star thing) ... until such time you cannot sell your home.

This Bill barely passed the House with the help of 8 RINOs ... and now it's in the Senate. People need to WAKE UP WAKE UP ... protecting the environment is one thing but throwing in these zingers in their Bills is wrong.

Ammo ... we have been stocking up ammo since the Y2K scare. LOL Remember that ordeal!

Now ... some of you money people in the know ... I have some CD maturing and do I cash them in and put the money in my mattress??
I can't believe you posted and have had the same concerns! Thank you for letting me know I am not alone. I have felt like a voice crying in the wilderness, lol, so I just decided - no one cares, no one is listening, we are all being led like sheep to the slaughter and folks do not seem to care what this going to do to our lives. So thank you for taking the time to acknowledge that you, too, have read the legislation - and have realized what I have - that this is heinous legislation.

As for your CD . . . that is the problem for us all - knowing what to do. I feel like my gggrandmother must have felt during the Confederacy. Everyone knew the money wasn't gonna be worth the paper it was written on. In fact, after the War, my gggrandmother used the bills as wallpaper in one room, I am told, as insulation . . . I don't know any way to ensure "value" if the dollar plummets. I mean, even if you own a position in gold funds, that isn't liquid. I guess it would protect assets for the longterm.

I always thought invest in - 1. land 2. collectibles/antiques/gemstones 3. precious metals. Now those rules don't seem to hold true any longer, either. Platinum and gold are off the charts. Silver? I am clueless.

I wish I had invested in a farm I could move to. That is how my predecessors made it through the War and the Crash of 29/Depression. Raised their own food/hogs/honey bees and grew cotton. I always knew I should have stayed on the farm!!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:

This needs to be in the news and commercials. I did not know this. How do our Senators stand on this issue?
I knew my family would be effected because we have land with coal in Kentucky. What urks me is the Appalachians are already in poverty level .
ooooooooooooooooooh what was this thread topic again , I bhad to rant sorry

Old 11-06-2009, 05:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This needs to be in the news and commercials. I did not know this. How do our Senators stand on this issue?
I knew my family would be effected because we have land with coal in Kentucky. What urks me is the Appalachians are already in poverty level .
ooooooooooooooooooh what was this thread topic again , I bhad to rant sorry
Heavens, Sunny, we all know I am the ranter, Hee Hee, not you. Don't worry - you didn't go off topic!!! This is all about surviving the dollar's collapse and yes, all this stuff would affect the value of the dollar-and the taxes we would have to spend to just continue living in our homes, plus mandated "improvements" if we wish to sell.

In Congress, this is coming down basically along party lines - DEMs for, GOP against.

I just don't know where the money for all this legislation is gonna come from. People are out of work . . . we've all been hit w/ losses in our portfolios (from 401Ks to stocks) . . . I don't know how our Fearless Leaders think we can keep paying when wealth has tanked for the average American.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:

On the ammo part, this is probably a good move. Not because you will need it for defense, but because of it's investment value. The rationale behind this thinking is the government will never take away people's guns, but they will take away the ammo by one method or another.

If you keep money at your house, do it in the form of silver coins. As I mentioned above, the Silver Dollar which used to be worth a $1 is now worth at least $17. It's a statement note about the coin rising but rather how worthless the federal reserve dollars are coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte