Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,596,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Yep, this is pretty much a perfect description the fall I've known for most of my life!

My winter description would be more like this:

Winter - dangerously cold, lots of ice and snow. The sky is gray for weeks on end. Seeing the sun is rare. It's totally depressing. It sometimes seems like 6 weeks since the sun last appeared. It affects people emotionally and physically.

It is OK if we don't all agree. I'll keep enjoying my 3 seasons. Y'all enjoy your 4!
LOL! The main thing is . . . however you define the seasons here . . . you like it better here in December than where you used to live . . . so if it's working for you . . . that really is what matters.

No winter to me is Christmas in Florida, where the sun is shining and I am putting up a fake tree and explaining "snow" to the kids . . . and Santa comes in through the lanai, not down the chimney, Hee Hee.

Speaking of sun . . . that is one reason I like Texas. Lots of sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
LOL The bf is mentioning Texas as our next move...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,596,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
LOL The bf is mentioning Texas as our next move...
I don't blame him. TX is huge - so many distinct regions. We would def consider TX.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:41 PM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
It's either TX or Daytona Beach..LOL two totally different things

Old 07-19-2009, 12:17 PM

147 posts, read 351,299 times
Man. Take Austin. It is superior to Charlotte in almost every way. Even with a job secured in both places take Austin. The weather is better in Austin. You have 9 months of good weather with a warm summer. To me, it gets really cold in Charlotte. There are many more dining options in Austin than Charlotte. Charlotte is a newer city with mostly boring chains. It is easier to make friends in Austin. People are friendly on the outside in Charlotte, but it is difficult to make friends. Entertainment is the big difference. Charlotte is not exactly a mecca for having fun. Austin is the live music capital of the world with intersting quirky shopping. While Austin has a diverse group of people living there, Charlotte is old school Black and White south. Charlotte feels very conservative and suffocating. It is clean and organized though.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 PM

116 posts, read 299,410 times
Without hesitation, Austin, for the job factor alone.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,571,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Yep, this is pretty much a perfect description the fall I've known for most of my life!

My winter description would be more like this:

Winter - dangerously cold, lots of ice and snow. The sky is gray for weeks on end. Seeing the sun is rare. It's totally depressing. It sometimes seems like 6 weeks since the sun last appeared. It affects people emotionally and physically.

It is OK if we don't all agree. I'll keep enjoying my 3 seasons. Y'all enjoy your 4!
I agree w/ you. When you're from areas that are really cold and gets ton of snow, the winters here seem like Spring. Lol.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM

229 posts, read 521,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
Man. Take Austin. It is superior to Charlotte in almost every way. Even with a job secured in both places take Austin. The weather is better in Austin. You have 9 months of good weather with a warm summer. To me, it gets really cold in Charlotte. There are many more dining options in Austin than Charlotte. Charlotte is a newer city with mostly boring chains. It is easier to make friends in Austin. People are friendly on the outside in Charlotte, but it is difficult to make friends. Entertainment is the big difference. Charlotte is not exactly a mecca for having fun. Austin is the live music capital of the world with intersting quirky shopping. While Austin has a diverse group of people living there, Charlotte is old school Black and White south. Charlotte feels very conservative and suffocating. It is clean and organized though.
Austin is THE most overrated city I have ever been to!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 PM

158 posts, read 660,289 times
I lived in Austin, the state capitol, for 8 years and my experience was:

Summer: hot and humid.
Fall: not much--warm and often still green; maybe some quick color change November.
Winter: pretty mild, more chilly than cold, with snow maybe once a year if your lucky.
Spring: starts early and is beautiful!

More liberal in Austin proper where the University is, conservative in the suburbs. Big traffic problems due to alot of growth. Friendly, hip, eclectic and laid back. Attracts lots of outdoorsy and athletic people as well as musicians and artists. Has many unique restaurants (vs. chain) with lots of great Tex-Mex. Avid Longhorn fans. Many UT grads decide to make Austin their permanent home.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,571,072 times
I love Austin too. Go to Rubys BBQ if you are there, you won't be disappointed.

I'd prolly pick Austin because of the economy, they are both great cities tho. Austin is a lot more liberal if that's what you are looking for.

And for the person who said it wasn't near water, what about Lake Travis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte