Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

We were discussing Austin or Houston or Daytona..Can't seem to figure it out. But I think more towards Houston as he could transfer for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We were discussing Austin or Houston or Daytona..Can't seem to figure it out. But I think more towards Houston as he could transfer for work.
I'd visit Houston for a few days before you make that call. I interviewed for a company there a couple years ago. I wasn't impressed with the city and chose to move to the Charlotte area instead.

I'd vote for the Dallas metro area ahead of Houston!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM

147 posts, read 350,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I'd visit Houston for a few days before you make that call. I interviewed for a company there a couple years ago. I wasn't impressed with the city and chose to move to the Charlotte area instead.

I'd vote for the Dallas metro area ahead of Houston!
Are you serious? Dallas over Houston. Don't think so. The Big Dirty is awesome. The food, diversity, economy and people of Houston are incredible. I moved to Houston from Charlotte, and it was the best move I ever made. Houston is an international city. Unlike Charlotte, there are actually things to do here. The big difference here however is the people.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM

87 posts, read 274,475 times
I'm not originally from Charlotte, but have lived here for last 7 years and 10 years altogether in NC. Would say that even in the 7 years I have noticed a positive change with new restaurants and things to do that it's own identity is constantly evolving. The things I love about Charlotte tend to be

-Close to the MTs and the beach.
-Rarely wear a jacket during the winter, but I can go to MTs for the snow
-Looking forward to snow days!
-No need for studded tires or chains
-A Big City that feels small
-Lots of trees and "greeness"
-Identity continues to develop with each new transplant from NY and CA that everybody wins
-Eastern Standard Time - so I know when a TV show says Live, most likely it is
-Competitive football team

I can go on and on, but really home is where you make it!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:15 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
I'm not originally from Charlotte, but have lived here for last 7 years and 10 years altogether in NC. Would say that even in the 7 years I have noticed a positive change with new restaurants and things to do that it's own identity is constantly evolving. The things I love about Charlotte tend to be

-Close to the MTs and the beach.
-Rarely wear a jacket during the winter, but I can go to MTs for the snow
-Looking forward to snow days!
-No need for studded tires or chains
-A Big City that feels small
-Lots of trees and "greeness"
-Identity continues to develop with each new transplant from NY and CA that everybody wins
-Eastern Standard Time - so I know when a TV show says Live, most likely it is
-Competitive football team

I can go on and on, but really home is where you make it!
I agree w/you on everything.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,158 times
Even though I like the hill country area of TX (only area I like), I would take Charlotte (with a job) due to it being closer to more attractions (mountains, beaches, other large cities). There is a reason Charlotte is one of the largest distribution hubs in the country. Austin may have lower % of unemployment but is all relative since neither city is really hiring. Also both have VERY different economies, so depending on what you are looking for, Charlotte may actually be a better choice in a weaker economy.

Both are fine cities though (but avoid listening to the boasters of Austin, they will prop it up with unreasonable expectations).

Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 PM

147 posts, read 350,891 times
I may have been a little harsh on Charlotte earlier. Here are the top 5 reasons to live there:
1. Great roads compared to other cities.
2. It is very clean and organized.
3. Although, many people say it isn't it feels really safe.
4. NC bbq is awesome. Much better than here in TX. Please don't tell I said that.
5. It is NASCAR central. Even if you don't like it. NASCAR is much more positive than the major team sports. There are some cool events associated with it.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Austin

Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
I heard winters in NC have all the clouds and leaf less trees of the north, but without the fun of winter (ice skating, sledding, snowboarding, skiing, relaxing in the warmth of the house). Do you guys realize how pathetic it is to see your kids sledding on 0.5 inches of snow?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I heard winters in NC have all the clouds and leaf less trees of the north, but without the fun of winter (ice skating, sledding, snowboarding, skiing, relaxing in the warmth of the house). Do you guys realize how pathetic it is to see your kids sledding on 0.5 inches of snow?
This is an inaccurate assumption IMO.

Coming from NJ, the biggest difference between the winters in Charlotte and NJ is the amount of sun we receive down here compared to the northeast.

Also, the days are shorter in NJ during the winter....it gets dark at 5pm around Christmas...(I remember going up to NH a couple years back and it got dark around 4:30....)

No sun to me is a recipe for depression...

Also, since we are closer to the equator, the sun is stronger and the "cold" temps don't last long...it warms up enough during the day so that a lite jacket is tolerable....very rarely would I have to wear a down jacket or parka here in January....

Do I miss those Blizzards that pound the I-95 corridor? Sometimes I do...however snow gets old VERY quickly....I like the quick, clean snow we get here.....a couple inches at best and gone in a day pretty much....Have yet to seen a bad snowstorm where things shut down for days, but I'm sure we'll get one in the next couple of years...we're due I suppose....

just my .02

Oh and BTW, give me Charlotte over Austin for the reasons I mentioned in another thread...and to the person who talked about a lake as being close to water....no way that counts...you cannot compare the Atlantic Ocean to Lake whatever in Austin.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte