Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPH View Post
$300k to $350K would be ideal. We're looking for at least 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, nice yard, etc. Nothing over the top. we realize our money would get us so much more in Charlotte vs. Chicago, but at the minimum this is what we expect. My husband will be working at the medical center (address???)
Will it be Carolinas Medical Center? (Main?) or another one? (there are many branches). That will help us identify where to direct you.

and, yes, I am also from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM

50 posts, read 168,028 times
Default Enough already with the "don't come here unless you have a job" stuff ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
Bottom line..pls. dont' come unless you have jobs lined up.......As if the unemployment rate is not all ready high...No offense...but just "keeping it real"
No offense but ... how do you know that these people don't have jobs lined up? Why are you assuming you know what their employment situation is? You don't.

I am beginning to think there is a ton of very negative people in Charlotte and I'm over it already. There's so much negativity coming from the Queen City on these boards. It's been really eye-opening.

Bottom line .. ASK people what their situation is before assuming you know what they have lined up or don't have lined up or telling them what to do and what not to do. All this "don't come here unless you have a job" stuff is played and insulting ... as if people don't know how to handle their personal business. Ugh.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parle75 View Post
No offense but ... how do you know that these people don't have jobs lined up? Why are you assuming you know what their employment situation is? You don't.

I am beginning to think there is a ton of very negative people in Charlotte and I'm over it already. There's so much negativity coming from the Queen City on these boards. It's been really eye-opening.

Bottom line .. ASK people what their situation is before assuming you know what they have lined up or don't have lined up or telling them what to do and what not to do. All this "don't come here unless you have a job" stuff is played and insulting ... as if people don't know how to handle their personal business. Ugh.
Have you been reading the posts from forum members who came here w/o jobs, or have lost their jobs and are running out of resources and are trying to LEAVE Charlotte?

No one is being negative. People are genuinely concerned that folks wanting to move here may not realize how bad the situation is.

I am very curious as to why you stated "this has been eye-opening." You were not aware we have thousands of people out of work b/c jobs are no longer here? Or you can't believe people aren't saying "come on down - it's great here even tho you may run out of money and regret the day you came?"

Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM

50 posts, read 168,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have you been reading the posts from forum members who came here w/o jobs, or have lost their jobs and are running out of resources and are trying to LEAVE Charlotte?

No one is being negative. People are genuinely concerned that folks wanting to move here may not realize how bad the situation is.

I am very curious as to why you stated "this has been eye-opening." You were not aware we have thousands of people out of work b/c jobs are no longer here? Or you can't believe people aren't saying "come on down - it's great here even tho you may run out of money and regret the day you came?"
It doesn't exactly come off as genuine when people don't ask questions first before assuming they know people's motivations/ employment situation before coming to Charlotte. I understand words don't translate well online but some seem bitter, frustrated and angry and it comes off that way as well as condescending at times to ME.

I stated exactly what my opinion is and I am entitled to it. My main point to that person, and now to you, is that whatever the situation is in Charlotte (or anywhere else for that matter) is that it gets old to make assumptions about people's employment without asking questions first, which happens a great deal in several of these forums.

I don't care how well you (plural) know about what's going in Charlotte, the fact is you don't know everyone who posts here or what their financial or job situation or motivation is. What's wrong with asking about it first before jumping on that person and beating him/her over the head with the job stick?

I never said people shouldn't be concerned or express concern about what's going on in the job market there. And I doubt the people who are so "honest" about the job situation are interested in following up that honesty and concern with a job tip or job info to help that person out. If the OP had said "we have no job lined up," I can see the ready-made "come here with a job first" line. However, the OP didn't say that, from what I could see on my computer screen.

As soon as someone says they are thinking about moving to Charlotte, people are at the ready to pounce on the person/people who says/say they are interested without even asking what the situation is first. That's what I have noticed.

People are struggling down here where I am, too, in Florida, South Florida at that, which is the most expensive place to live in the state. The city I live in has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state so I am aware of what's going on and I am aware that issues are going on where you guys are, too.

I will be visiting Charlotte again later this year to form my own opinions about the city/situation once again as I did several years ago when the job market in my field was going bad even then. The newspaper industry was one of the hardest hit way before other fields were so I am highly aware of what the market is for what I do. And your paper, the Charlotte Observer, had no jobs open when I looked into it and the year was 2005.

I am not asking anyone for a PR view of Charlotte. I am a journalist and can be quite cynical myself. I once expected people up there to show some sense of balance in their advice and perspectives, but lately, in my view, some posters have their own agenda, which makes their honesty, concern and advice seem like judgmental venting. That's just one reason this forum has been "eye-opening."

Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:

Clearly husband does have job lined up at CHS.I too wish some people would be a little less unwelcoming in their approach to newcomers.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I agree with you suggestions, but if they are planning of having children in the near future, I would also consider around Huntersville, maybe Birkdale. There is bus transportation and a fifteen minute drive to downtown.
Do you not think 15mins is pushing it -I know there are HOV lanes but..........

Old 07-18-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPH View Post
We're newlyweds looking to move from the Chicago to the Charlotte area. We don't have kids so while we're not concerned about schools just yet, we will be in the next few years. Our budget for a home is $250-400K ten or fewer years old. We don't need to be 5-10 minutes from downtown (or uptown is the proper term), but 30 min or less is ideal. Overall, looking for diversity, good schools, shopping, etc. Any suggetions on where to begin looking?
What about Harrisburg/Concord?
Some good schools and lower taxes in Cabarrus county.You will have a huge choice of houses for that price range.Concord has a nice historic downtown, and good shopping nearby .Also Lowes motor speedway.
Carolinas Medical Center Northeast is there-has a good reputation-not sure what you do or if you will be looking for work.
I think 30mins into Charlotte is realistic-but others will know better.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:09 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Hey we just moved from the Chicago area (Gurnee) last month. My husband actually has been here since March for his job, and the rest of us finally made it over to South Charlotte (Ballantyne area) last month.

I'm going to agree with most of the posts here in terms of thinking future-wise with the kids. Back in Illinois when we were looking for a house we did consider schools but honestly I should have researched that area better and stretched my dollars into a house in Libertyville (not sure how familiar you are with the northern burbs but that suburb is one of the top ones in Lake County. Not saying Gurnee was "worse" but I just love Libertyville: the whole downtown area, schools, etc.).

My point is move where you would want to be school-wise (and I also recommend South Charlotte for the top rated public schools, as well as access to some very good private schools). You will still be very close to downtown, artsy, social center. And being from Chicago you'll appreciate how close "uptown" Charlotte is from the outlaying areas (South Charlotte is still a Charlotte address, not like the Chicago suburbs which are cities/villages of their own).

Good luck. I love it so far here! Still new to the area but discovering new things every week. Visit often to get a feel for all the surrounding cities. We knew we pretty much had to be in South Charlotte b/c my husband works over the border in South Carolina. As we were driving down from Illinois we drove through some nice northern Charlotte areas (Lake Norman) that we would have considered as potentials too.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
It doesn't exactly come off as genuine when people don't ask questions first before assuming they know people's motivations/ employment situation before coming to Charlotte. I understand words don't translate well online but some seem bitter, frustrated and angry and it comes off that way as well as condescending at times to ME.

I stated exactly what my opinion is and I am entitled to it. My main point to that person, and now to you, is that whatever the situation is in Charlotte (or anywhere else for that matter) is that it gets old to make assumptions about people's employment without asking questions first, which happens a great deal in several of these forums.

I don't care how well you (plural) know about what's going in Charlotte, the fact is you don't know everyone who posts here or what their financial or job situation or motivation is. What's wrong with asking about it first before jumping on that person and beating him/her over the head with the job stick?

I never said people shouldn't be concerned or express concern about what's going on in the job market there. And I doubt the people who are so "honest" about the job situation are interested in following up that honesty and concern with a job tip or job info to help that person out. If the OP had said "we have no job lined up," I can see the ready-made "come here with a job first" line. However, the OP didn't say that, from what I could see on my computer screen.

As soon as someone says they are thinking about moving to Charlotte, people are at the ready to pounce on the person/people who says/say they are interested without even asking what the situation is first. That's what I have noticed.

People are struggling down here where I am, too, in Florida, South Florida at that, which is the most expensive place to live in the state. The city I live in has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state so I am aware of what's going on and I am aware that issues are going on where you guys are, too.

I will be visiting Charlotte again later this year to form my own opinions about the city/situation once again as I did several years ago when the job market in my field was going bad even then. The newspaper industry was one of the hardest hit way before other fields were so I am highly aware of what the market is for what I do. And your paper, the Charlotte Observer, had no jobs open when I looked into it and the year was 2005.

I am not asking anyone for a PR view of Charlotte. I am a journalist and can be quite cynical myself. I once expected people up there to show some sense of balance in their advice and perspectives, but lately, in my view, some posters have their own agenda, which makes their honesty, concern and advice seem like judgmental venting. That's just one reason this forum has been "eye-opening."
Again, folks on this forum are CONCERNED. This is not a public relations forum to spread incorrect info about Charlotte, altho it appears that is what you would prefer.

It is what it is. Even if a person has secured a job here, it would seem important that he/she know that this city is not stable economically right now. As a journalist, I would assume you would be aware of the domino effect that unemployment in one sector causes in another.

If people are moving here with "eyes wide open" then that is a good thing . . . so hopefully, this forum has been "eye-opening" for you as well as for others.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

I will be visiting Charlotte again later this year to form my own opinion about the city/situation once again as I did several years ago when the job market in my field was going bad even then. The newspaper industry was one of the hardest hit way before other fields were so I am highly aware of what the market is for what I do. And your paper, the Charlotte Observer, had no jobs open when I looked into it and the year was 2005.

That is all too obvious in this ranting post of yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte