Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
NPH NPH started this thread

8 posts, read 13,468 times

Advertisements

We're newlyweds looking to move from the Chicago to the Charlotte area. We don't have kids so while we're not concerned about schools just yet, we will be in the next few years. Our budget for a home is $250-400K ten or fewer years old. We don't need to be 5-10 minutes from downtown (or uptown is the proper term), but 30 min or less is ideal. Overall, looking for diversity, good schools, shopping, etc. Any suggetions on where to begin looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Baxter Village area of Fort Mill SC. (15-20 minutes from Uptown)

Ballantyne Village of South Charlotte. (20-30 minutes from Uptown)

Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,418,962 times
30 mins or less from uptown covers a LOT of area. Charlotte is completely unlike Chicago in that respect (as well as many others).

Are you looking to stay closer to the $250K than the $400K range? How big of a home are you expecting for that money? Where will you be working? Charlotte traffic is very spotty with pockets of bad here and there. Best to make your commute as easy as it can be, right?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,812,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPH View Post
We're newlyweds looking to move from the Chicago to the Charlotte area. We don't have kids so while we're not concerned about schools just yet, we will be in the next few years. Our budget for a home is $250-400K ten or fewer years old. We don't need to be 5-10 minutes from downtown (or uptown is the proper term), but 30 min or less is ideal. Overall, looking for diversity, good schools, shopping, etc. Any suggetions on where to begin looking?
Bottom line..pls. dont' come unless you have jobs lined up.......As if the unemployment rate is not all ready high...No offense...but just "keeping it real"

Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 14,687 times
Charlotte's layout is way different then Chicago. Moving from DC to Charlotte was a huge change for me but the best decision I made. Your expectations on places to buy will be blown away. I went from DC looking at 400k condos with 800 sq ft to buying a 3 bedroom- 2 bath with a big fenced in yard 15 minutes out of uptown for $135k!!

I would suggest coming to Charlotte and getting a better idea of the areas you like. There is modern to traditional in this town and it keeps getting better.

Personally, I would look at Midwood, NoDa, Villa Heights, South End, Dilworth, Elizabeth, etc. These are little suburbs scattered around uptown that are less than a mile away. These are some established areas and some are in the middle of that transition. But great homes to be had....

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,906,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd1222 View Post
Charlotte's layout is way different then Chicago. Moving from DC to Charlotte was a huge change for me but the best decision I made. Your expectations on places to buy will be blown away. I went from DC looking at 400k condos with 800 sq ft to buying a 3 bedroom- 2 bath with a big fenced in yard 15 minutes out of uptown for $135k!!

I would suggest coming to Charlotte and getting a better idea of the areas you like. There is modern to traditional in this town and it keeps getting better.

Personally, I would look at Midwood, NoDa, Villa Heights, South End, Dilworth, Elizabeth, etc. These are little suburbs scattered around uptown that are less than a mile away. These are some established areas and some are in the middle of that transition. But great homes to be had....

Good luck!
I agree with you suggestions, but if they are planning of having children in the near future, I would also consider around Huntersville, maybe Birkdale. There is bus transportation and a fifteen minute drive to downtown.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,503,526 times
Quote:
There are a lot of us here from Chicago in your spot including yours truly (except we dont get married till next year) so you should fit right in . My biggest regret is not having the chance to come down here and scout areas thoroughly, if you have that oppurtunity, I would definelty do so.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
There are a lot of us here from Chicago in your spot including yours truly (except we dont get married till next year) so you should fit right in . My biggest regret is not having the chance to come down here and scout areas thoroughly, if you have that oppurtunity, I would definelty do so.

We've been once last May and will be visiting again this September. That's why we're looking for info on exactly where to focus our attention during this visit.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
30 mins or less from uptown covers a LOT of area. Charlotte is completely unlike Chicago in that respect (as well as many others).

Are you looking to stay closer to the $250K than the $400K range? How big of a home are you expecting for that money? Where will you be working? Charlotte traffic is very spotty with pockets of bad here and there. Best to make your commute as easy as it can be, right?

$300k to $350K would be ideal. We're looking for at least 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, nice yard, etc. Nothing over the top. we realize our money would get us so much more in Charlotte vs. Chicago, but at the minimum this is what we expect. My husband will be working at the medical center (address???)

Old 07-17-2009, 02:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Since you don't have kids yet, you could really live in so many nice places in that price range that it's hard to know where to start suggesting you look, lol. In fact, it would be easier to tell you where NOT to look.

But, since you obviously want to buy with an eye to the future when schools will matter to you, your best bet is to start your seach in south Charlotte. While there are good schools to be found all over the city/county, the vast majority of them are in south Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte