Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim28226 View Post
I think they should continue sending unemployment checks to the unemployed(which includes me) as long as the rate stays above 9%.

If you think you should get UI benefits as long as the unemployment rate stays above 9% you mine as well count on getting UI benefits for the years to come. I hate to put it to you but we are living in the good ol days right now. I believe next year at this time we will be seeing unemployment at 18% for the nation. We should see the stock market start to come down again late next month and that will continue all through the Fall. Be prepared for another round of mass layoffs as we seen last fall and add to that a major War, Swine Flu and Dollar collapse(which scares me) although the Dollar Collapse will happen throughout most of 2010. One year from today you will look back and say these were the good ol days!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
If you think you should get UI benefits as long as the unemployment rate stays above 9% you mine as well count on getting UI benefits for the years to come. I hate to put it to you but we are living in the good ol days right now. I believe next year at this time we will be seeing unemployment at 18% for the nation. We should see the stock market start to come down again late next month and that will continue all through the Fall. Be prepared for another round of mass layoffs as we seen last fall and add to that a major War, Swine Flu and Dollar collapse(which scares me) although the Dollar Collapse will happen throughout most of 2010. One year from today you will look back and say these were the good ol days!!!!!!!!
18% for the nation...I'm sure your opinion is educated, but I'd bet the under on that figure bigtime.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies everyone. I do have a degree in finance and just don't think I should be doing odd jobs with my level of education. When I was in high school I was always told that if I didn't want to get my hands dirty I must attend college. They said college was the only way to go but I can't even get a min. wage job at Walmart with my level of education. Maybe I should tell people I only have a high school diploma?
Part of being a responsible human being is figuring out how to make a living. If that means scrubbing out nasty toilets, emptying trashcans and mopping floors, you do it.

You would have been better advised if your family had taught you that any honest job is an honorable job - if it means you are providing for yourself and not looking for someone else to take care of you.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
18% for the nation...I'm sure your opinion is educated, but I'd bet the under on that figure bigtime.

Yep 18% unemployment by this time next year and also later this Fall you will hear the word "Depression" used more and more instead of Recession.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM

494 posts, read 1,348,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Part of being a responsible human being is figuring out how to make a living. If that means scrubbing out nasty toilets, emptying trashcans and mopping floors, you do it.

You would have been better advised if your family had taught you that any honest job is an honorable job - if it means you are providing for yourself and not looking for someone else to take care of you.

Ani...you are seriously my hero. Ever think of running for politics?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Yep 18% unemployment by this time next year and also later this Fall you will hear the word "Depression" used more and more instead of Recession.
I don't know about 18% nationwide, but I do think the nationwide rate will be in double digits.

Depression . . . maybe. We need to get people back to work and that can't happen if jobs are being relocated to China and India. Everyone seems to be waiting for jobs to open up . . . but it is like our steel industry . . . once those jobs were gone, they were just gone.

What needs to be stimulated is the manufacturing sector. With manufacturing we get jobs in other sectors - finance, human resources, customer service, etc. The problem is . . . no credit, so businesses are closing, not expanding.

And when people are out of work - no discretionary income, so ancillary sectors (restaurants and retail) suffer.

It is a vicious cycle, and no one is addressing the root causes. Throwing money at this situation is not the answer . . .but extending credit to businesses WOULD be a start . . .

Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
Ani...you are seriously my hero. Ever think of running for politics?
I don't think I could win a race here in MECK. And I think I could be of more help in the background helping someone else w/ his/her campaign (wh/ is something I have done in the past).

Thanx for the vote of confidence, tho, Robin!!!

I would like to be Mayor, tho, now that I think about it . . .

ETA - no, I take that back. I would be too impatient, LOL!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 07-22-2009 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Hey Timm, Welcome to the real world. Reading your first post, I felt sympathy, continuing to read, I got upset. How dare you put yourself in the shoes of other people desperate for work and doing anything they can to support their family and themselves. Demean yourself, go work in a war zone, join the army, do what it takes. I know too many doing anything they can. I have a family member that is going to a War Zone to do work to keep his family fed. I have a friend moving to Oregon to get a job. Another moved in with family. Another staying with me on the cheap for odd jobs till they get back on their feet. Do not live off your fellow tax payer. Go earn your keep!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 27,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Do not live off your fellow tax payer. Go earn your keep!
I know I may get flamed for this but isn't it just easier to sit back and collect unemployment? Why should I go sweat my butt off at a job when its easier to collect unemployment. I mean if you were getting unemployment you would find out its much easier getting money for doing nothing. I will admit that after about 2 months on unemployment I was dying to work again but I am in my lazy mode now and its just easier taking the 20 seconds per week to fill out the online application.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I know I may get flamed for this but isn't it just easier to sit back and collect unemployment? Why should I go sweat my butt off at a job when its easier to collect unemployment. I mean if you were getting unemployment you would find out its much easier getting money for doing nothing. I will admit that after about 2 months on unemployment I was dying to work again but I am in my lazy mode now and its just easier taking the 20 seconds per week to fill out the online application.
Hey - far from me to flame you if your ambition in life is subsistence living. I would be concerned about finding a job, getting some bennies, putting some money away, and getting my life geared back up again. But if sitting on your arse is working for you and you are not worried about manana . . . your life.

Just remember - those checks have been extended longer this go round than I believe ever in the history of this country . . . and at some point, they are gonna run out. I'd be sending out resumes to other states in hopes of landing something. But that's just me. I worry about stuff like having to live in a cardboard box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte