Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times

Advertisements

One of our dear friends who was a father figure to me growing up was a programmer, we're talking the space shuttle. When he had lost his last job in the aerospace industry he was coming upon retirement age. Unable to find something else, the last job he worked before he passed was at Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM

18 posts, read 27,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
we were an "ascending" nation during the great depression? I kind of doubt the horribly impoverished man during 1930 while not able to feed his family was on his way to rob a bank suddenly thought, "why do this, my nation is ascending!
When I refer to an ascending nation not only am I comparing the better quality of people back then compared to today but you also must remember that most people were not strapped down with mortgages and property taxes back in the 1930's. Credit cards did not exist and didn't put Americans 14 trillion dollars into debt and the US had a trade surplus and not a trillion dollar deficit like we see today. Also you didn't see mass job outsourcing as we see today. Basically speaking I think our nation is screwed.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
One of our dear friends who was a father figure to me growing up was a programmer, we're talking the space shuttle. When he had lost his last job in the aerospace industry he was coming upon retirement age. Unable to find something else, the last job he worked before he passed was at Home Depot.
Damn right.

I would go get another degree or certification - or at least start on it - if I were unemployed right now.

There are all sorts of certifications you can get without having to spend a lot of money doing it.

For example, how about becoming a nursing home activities director? Or a certified nursing assistant? Those are two right off the top of my head that one could do easily enough.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
My father was a mechanical engineer. He was laid off in the 70s, and had a tough time finding another job. He worked at a hardware store to pay the bills, and *gasp!* did odd jobs when he could. He never collected a dime from the government.

Of course, he was a man of integrity. That's more than I can say about some people.

Your sense of entitlement is maddening. Who do you think you are that you don't have to work? You are no better than the person working at McD's. In fact, they're better than YOU, because they at least have a work ethic.

You're putting additional strain on an already fragile system. Get off your lazy bum and get a job.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
For anyone interested - i just looked up some info:

Look at the certifications available thru/ CP:

Certifications — Corporate & Continuing Education

Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM

18 posts, read 27,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
By the way Tim... you know you are going to have to pay taxes on Unemployment, don't you?
Yes I am cognizant of the fact that I have to pay taxes on my unemployment I know this because they take out federal taxes on it!!!! I am expecting a federal tax refund in 2010 because of my overpayment of federal taxes on my unemployment.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Quote:
you also must remember that most people were not strapped down with mortgages and property taxes back in the 1930's. Credit cards did not exist and didn't put Americans 14 trillion dollars into debt and the US had a trade surplus and not a trillion dollar deficit like we see today. Also you didn't see mass job outsourcing as we see today.
Nope, no mortgages - lost those to the bank or the Great dust bowl dried up all the water, so they just left that home and traveled west. Nope, no property taxes - can't tax a tent city or all those Okies in their hand-cranked cars traveling to CA. Nope, no mass job outsourcing - great jobs as migrant workers or in filthy meat plants. Or how about that great job in the coal mine? Can't outsource those. Or working on those oil rigs? Couldn't afford to go to college to get that degree, no matter how bright you were, if your family was poor or working class.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Even 30 years ago, everyone didn't have credit cards. They were hard to get. Now people act as if they are an entitlement and worry about their credit score all the time.

The big difference between then and now, is back then we had an economy that was still based on production. Now it is one based on consumption. The USA now consumes more than it produces. Don't have to be a brain surgeon to realize the problem with that.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
He never collected a dime from the government.

Of course, he was a man of integrity. That's more than I can say about some people.
There's nothing wrong with taking unemployment for a time if you are laid off. That's what it is there for and everyone pays into it during their working lives. Bilking the system is one thing. But just because someone takes unemployment does not mean they have any less integrity than one who does not.

As far as the OP goes, you're going to have to pound the pavement a little more. Finance jobs are few and far between; you may need to rethink your "standards" in this economy. Make a list of the skills you've gained through your job and look at how they can transfer to other fields. Target jobs in those fields.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Damn right.

I would go get another degree or certification - or at least start on it - if I were unemployed right now.

There are all sorts of certifications you can get without having to spend a lot of money doing it.

For example, how about becoming a nursing home activities director? Or a certified nursing assistant? Those are two right off the top of my head that one could do easily enough.
There are even programs you can get into that won't cost you ANYTHING. Anyone interested should check with the WIA representative at their local ESC. I hear ours all the time talking about her clients in certain programs for which she (her program) is paying the tuition and book costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte