Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
You say the discussion on the radio was about Myers Park parents who won't send their kids to certain schools because of the newer teachers, lacking curriculum, turnover, etc.? The parents don't have a choice - they send their children to a school based on student assignment boundaries OR they can apply for magnet schools in their 'zone'. Its not an issue of 'why should parents accept something less than Myers Park.'
That's not at all what I said.

To your point, I should not get "more or better city services because I pay more in taxes. That's counter to our process. I pay my percentage and $$ is allocated to support my community. The community is larger than my neighborhood.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM

19 posts, read 54,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I know several long time teachers at EAST.Fact is (and I do know) that EAST IS NOT the great school now that you mention historically. One of the highest crime areas for appartments is directly across from East. Also many kids from McClintock move up to East and McClintock is a low score school with many problems and most of the kids there (over 80%) are on free lunch . Poverty and crime go hand in hand.
I graduated from East Meck in 1991, and we were the best school in the system at that time. Providence opening and taking away (at that time) five hundred Students at the time didn't affect our outstanding scholastic achievements, but when Butler opened, and several apartment complexes in the area began to absorb people being displaced from the projects being torn down throughout the county, East Meck began to suffer. But there are still plenty of Middle class kids from the Sardis community as well as the residential areas along Monroe Road. So East Meck no, isn't what it used to be, but it's no West Charlotte or Garringer either.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM

19 posts, read 54,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I get your point here, I just do not think children should pay the price for adult decisions. Why for instance should I as a 9 year old need to have a 1 1/2 hour long round trip commute to my school? The truth is that by busing me from Idlewild Rd to Lasalle St from 4th - 6th grade all they accomplished was painting a bulls eye on me for the school bullies and teaching me how to defend myself against them. It was one of many truly horrible experiences I can thank the CMS busing system for. Like you my daughter will either be zoned for a school I trust or go to private school. Until they implement school vouchers and public schools have to worry about losing students like a business does clients we (the public) will always be on the losing end.
My bus ride from Hawthorne Ln to Bainbridge in Mint Hill wasn't a pleasure cruise, but I got a shot at a good education. Busing isn't the boogie man that alot of people made it out to be. For me, and the other underpriveledge kids in the Belmont neighborhood who was interested in education, it was a great thing; all that matter is what was at the end of the bus ride, not the ride itself.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaguy321 View Post
My bus ride from Hawthorne Ln to Bainbridge in Mint Hill wasn't a pleasure cruise, but I got a shot at a good education. Busing isn't the boogie man that alot of people made it out to be. For me, and the other underpriveledge kids in the Belmont neighborhood who was interested in education, it was a great thing; all that matter is what was at the end of the bus ride, not the ride itself.
Not even sure where to begin... If you think that putting a 9 yr old on a bus for 1 1/2 each day after a 8 hour school day NOT including homework time, taking me and others into a school only to be surround by kids who targeted us and resented us and last but not least seperating my sister and me during our high school years is reasonable then we can just agree to disagree. And the sad thing is that people believe that busing CHILDREN was the only solution. Are we not more intelligent, are we not able to think of any other way for you and everyone to have gotten a proper education? Seriously it was a way for children to pay the dues of mistakes made by adults; it may have helped you and others but the ends did not justify the means in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte