Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 39,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
We used to say our Mother made the best corn bread in our county. About a third of her corn bread was actually flour. She also made biscuits the pour the milk and bacon grease in the "flour lake" and swirl them until the right mixture exists way. Then she chopped off a little piece of mixture, formed it into a biscuit and put in into a well greased pan. The pan held about 20 biscuits and most of them were eaten before sundown. A test for a good biscuit is whether it gets hard after it is cold. If it does, it has too much fat in it. Mom's were almost as soft five hours later as they were when she took them out of the pan. We loved to cut them open later in the day and make cucumber or tomato biscuits. She really liked it when self-rising flour came to the stores.

I tried Mom's way, but never could do it. I have a way to make them that to me tastes better than the store-bought pre-made ones. You may not think so, but here goes. Stir together 2 cups self-rising flour, one cup milk, 1/4 cup mayonnaise. I drop these in a 9x13 size glass pan that I have greased with whatever I choose at the moment--bacon grease or butter and sometimes canola oil. This mixture makes about 12 biscuits and as they cook they move toward each other and form almost square biscuits. I try to use as little fat as possible, but I gave this recipe to a friend and she said that she brushed butter on top after they had formed good in the oven. I like them without butter on top.

If you want fewer biscuits, use a smaller pan and 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. I am sure you can use any other kind of shortening in the biscuits, but I find the mayonnaise stirs up more evenly.

Just remember this comes from someone who cooks like Debra on "Everybody Loves Raymond."

I use the same mixture for making dumplings. My mother made drop dumplings instead of rolled out dumplings. I think my dumplings are sometimes better than hers were, probably because I have waterless cookware. Cooking time is ten minutes with the top off the pot and ten minutes with the pot covered. Of course the liquid in the pot is boiling when I start dropping the mixture by spoonfuls into a dutch oven. Works for me.
I was afraid to respond to this biscuit making business because I have never made them myself. However, I too have seen them made and no there are no eggs. But, don't people here use baking soda (or is it baking powder? I always get the two confused) in the buscuits? I always thought that was a southern thing.

Also, the trick is do not mix too much. If there are small lumps of crisco the biscuits will be flakier.

Good luck if you give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 39,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
OK, you have to forgive me, I am very UN (message board) savvy. I am not even sure that this will post in the correct place, but here goes... I happened across this site and saw the question on the correct pro-nounc-ation of Rutherfordton. I am getting ready to move there and know that I absolutely do not pronounce it correctly. I am sure that the locals immediately snub me. I have searched and searched, and although I have had many laughs over other incorrectly pronounce words, I have not found a response to "Rutherfordton". Can someone help?

Thanks. Love the site.

This is so funny. I am originally from Indiana, as are my friends who moved here a little over a year ago. After I got here a little over a month ago, I met a local who explained to me that it was pronounced Rulvton.

When I got a call to interview for a job in "Rulvton" I laughed to myself. Otherwise, I would have been looking up a town called Rulvton on mapquest! lol I love this site too!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Great thread....got the Concord one wrong when I first moved here....someone corrected me by saying "This isn't Con-curd (as in New Hampshire)....its con-CORD"...

LOL

I'm also working on Lincolnton...can't get that one right yet....

Old 11-01-2007, 06:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
What about Lancusta or Lancuster or Lannnnn-caster

Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
What about Lancusta or Lancuster or Lannnnn-caster
It's more "Lank -a- stir"

Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's more "Lank -a- stir"
I can never get it right.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM

716 posts, read 2,157,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incalinow View Post
But, don't people here use baking soda (or is it baking powder? I always get the two confused) in the buscuits? I always thought that was a southern thing.
The poster with the recipe said they used self-rising flour. That already has salt and baking powder in it.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 PM

174 posts, read 540,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
I know exactly how you feel!

I grew up in Louisville, KY, where ALL the locals know it is pronounced "Loo-uh-vul." It was so annoying when non-local newscasters (like during national tv coverage of the KY Derby) would pronounce it "Lewis-ville" or "Loo-ee-ville." It was always (and still is) really easy to tell which reporters were "in the know," and who didn't do their research.

I also had the same problem when I went to college (in Indiana). At first, I would try to correct people's mispronunciation of my hometown. I gave up after a while, because I figured it was a lost cause. It got to the point where my roommates started correcting people we'd meet, when the new people would say to me, "So, you're from Loo-ee-ville?" my roommates would cut in and say, "She won't correct you, but it's actually pronounced Lu-uh-vul." LOL.

It's really not a big deal, in the whole scheme of life...but I totally agree with you that it's irritating when people mispronounce the place where you live or lived! I can't imagine being one of those people who have hard-to-pronounce first or last names!
I've lived in Louisville almost my whole life and I say "Lou-ee-ville." I was in the Louisville area all through college, and I'm sorry but I happen to find the pronunciation "Loo-uh-vul" that I hear constantly on TV, radio, and at work (I work in Indiana) to be highly irritating, it makes people sound like hicks to me! It's a breath of fresh air to hear people locally (or any place in Kentucky for that matter) saying it the way I say it. I would have given my right arm to have gone to college someplace far away from that pronunciation, and hope to move someplace like that when I have the means to.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Along iwht all the other villes that are really vuls, don't forgyet Asheville. After my daughter moved there, I had to learn to say Ashvul.

When I lived in Miss., there was a small town named Yocona. It's pronounced yock-nah by locals, or yock-knee by old locals. Don't know where the name came from!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Would someone please tell the person in the Plaza TV commercial how to say Plaza Southern style. It is catching on and some of the news reporters are saying it that way too. It hurts my ears.

I hate the way most news reporters say Iraq too. I don't know much about this war because I can't stand to listen to reporters talking about EROC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte