Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times

Advertisements

As someone stated earlier, Nascar has the money to bury Mr Mayfield and they should if the test is positive. If its negative then they should just state that they dont want him back and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Someone who thinks he was framed care to enlighten me as to now NASCAR would benefit from that? I don't see it...

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Someone who thinks he was framed care to enlighten me as to now NASCAR would benefit from that? I don't see it...
What seems plausible to me is that Jeremy got not one, but TWO, false positives due to the prescription meds he is on. Nascar stupidly jumped on the first false positive and then had to dig its heels in to prevent embarrassing itself and admitting a mistake when the second one came in. So it's not that they are trying to frame him, they are just trying to make him look bad at this point so that they won't look stupid.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Yeah but why go after him? And two tests? Also from what I recall most of the other drivers don't want him out there since the results came out. It's not like he's a big winner and they want to get rid of him. Just seems strange to me.

Mayfield was an up and coming driver in Nascar. His endorsements were racking up and for such a *newbie* he owned his team. That is not common.

The drivers have NOT said they don't want him out there, they don't want someone who uses out there.

One thing to remember, there are a lot of shades of grey.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Can't they tell from the bloodwork what he tested positive for? Meaning if it was prescription or over the counter drugs vs. meth? I know they're saying meth but you would think if other drugs mimic it they would want to be darn sure what it is exactly. Just curious about that.

The one thing I object to personally is going by the word of his step-mother that he is a "user". If you are going to bury someone and take away their livelihood you better have more than one witness and they better be realiable.

I do believe the other drivers' reactions were to the first test and haven't heard anything since. And one would think logically they want all the up and comers they can get. Makes the races more interesting and helps the sport. And admittedly after a while you get tired of Kyle Busch's whining.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Can't they tell from the bloodwork what he tested positive for? Meaning if it was prescription or over the counter drugs vs. meth? I know they're saying meth but you would think if other drugs mimic it they would want to be darn sure what it is exactly. Just curious about that.

The one thing I object to personally is going by the word of his step-mother that he is a "user". If you are going to bury someone and take away their livelihood you better have more than one witness and they better be realiable.
Not always. This is why some very innocent olympic atheletes have not been allowed to compete sometimes - sudafed in your system, which is the base ingrediant in meth, can lead to a question as to whether or not you have used meth.

Anyone who has ever seen a meth addict and what they look like (hell) would be very hard pressed to believe fresh faced Jeremy ever used the stuff.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What seems plausible to me is that Jeremy got not one, but TWO, false positives due to the prescription meds he is on. Nascar stupidly jumped on the first false positive and then had to dig its heels in to prevent embarrassing itself and admitting a mistake when the second one came in. So it's not that they are trying to frame him, they are just trying to make him look bad at this point so that they won't look stupid.
Totally agree! NASCAR is already on a slippery slope, with declining attendence and viewership. To have to back track at this point would certainly be hugely detrimental.

To those that bring up the NASCAR being a private entity, and "at-will" employment, I submit that NASCAR is more a sports franchise than a B&M corporation. Were Mayfield a baseball player or football, or whatever, he'd be entitled to the same relief he's entitled to in this situation. Further, NASCAR is not really the employer. Rather, it is a sanctioning body. The tracks are owned by individuals (or companies), and the teams are owned by individuals (or companies), and funded by sponsorships. Perhaps the best parallel I can think of is MLB banning Pete Rose- with the obvious differences. Regardless, it seems at this point that its all up to the courts to decide.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Totally agree! NASCAR is already on a slippery slope, with declining attendence and viewership. To have to back track at this point would certainly be hugely detrimental.

To those that bring up the NASCAR being a private entity, and "at-will" employment, I submit that NASCAR is more a sports franchise than a B&M corporation. Were Mayfield a baseball player or football, or whatever, he'd be entitled to the same relief he's entitled to in this situation. Further, NASCAR is not really the employer. Rather, it is a sanctioning body. The tracks are owned by individuals (or companies), and the teams are owned by individuals (or companies), and funded by sponsorships. Perhaps the best parallel I can think of is MLB banning Pete Rose- with the obvious differences. Regardless, it seems at this point that its all up to the courts to decide.
And with Bruton not rating real high right now, well like you said......

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Not always. This is why some very innocent olympic atheletes have not been allowed to compete sometimes - sudafed in your system, which is the base ingrediant in meth, can lead to a question as to whether or not you have used meth.

Anyone who has ever seen a meth addict and what they look like (hell) would be very hard pressed to believe fresh faced Jeremy ever used the stuff.

+1

Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Quote:

Forgot about sudafed et al. And I used to take it for allergy relief until I started getting shots. I always hated having to sign for it.

Hopefully the truth will come out in this case sooner than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte