Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 AM

146 posts, read 474,425 times

Advertisements

If you have a strong desire to go into the terminal to greet the person, the first 30 minutes of parking in the hourly lot is free. Timing is everything. The cell phone lot is a great idea and i use it frequently. Just have the person you are picking up tell you which door they are at and you can drive right to them. Easy!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on08 View Post
If you have a strong desire to go into the terminal to greet the person, the first 30 minutes of parking in the hourly lot is free. Timing is everything. The cell phone lot is a great idea and i use it frequently. Just have the person you are picking up tell you which door they are at and you can drive right to them. Easy!
And if you run over 30 minutes parked in the short term lot, it will cost you a whopping $2 for the next 30 minutes.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times
The cell phone lot makes the most sense.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,266 times
We have often parked at the top of the short term lot and gotten out free (less than 1/2 hour). Easiest entry is driving all the way past the terminal. We have also picked up a son with no checked baggage at the curb. Make sure to confirm if you are picking up at the departure area (upper deck) or arrival area (downstairs where the baggage claim is). Charlotte is one of the easiest airports to use.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:44 PM

182 posts, read 440,284 times
Default Ani, stop giving away the secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That's what I do and I am in and out of the airport regularly. I check online flight tracker, try to arrive about 10 minutes after estimated touchdown, pull into the cellphone lot . . . and usually have only a few minutes wait.

If you are picking up someone who doesn't have luggage, I meet them at arrivals and departures instead of at the baggage claim area. Otherwise, go to baggage claim.
Ani, says it right! If you have no bags to claim, stay on the main level and meet your car. Quick in and out.

My helpful tips: Avoid making calls while in Baggage Claim area and/ or waiting outside. The amount of concrete makes reception difficult. Make your call or text when you have parked at the gate or on the main level!

If you're retired military or active duty, check out the USO on the mezzanine level near the food court. The USO area is very nice and the folks there are very helpful. Plenty of food, coffee, widescreen, leather couches and internet!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:06 PM

248 posts, read 722,342 times
I didnt realize that a simple task such as picking someone from the airport that too CLT where things are far eazier than JFK or La Guardia would need a 2 page discussion..

most airports I know have cellphone lots these days.. or its not very hard to calculate timing after the numerous flight status websites (i use flightstats.com)

Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
I didnt realize that a simple task such as picking someone from the airport that too CLT where things are far eazier than JFK or La Guardia would need a 2 page discussion..
I thought the same thing. But then again, I also think everyone knows not to walk through the airport metal detector with their keys and $20 in quarters in their pocket...and I have been proven that I know nothing in that regard on countless occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
most airports I know have cellphone lots these days
I'm at the airport, on average, a couple of times per week. Their cel phone lot has a tendency to be overcrowded, with people waiting just to get in, depending on the time of day.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
One thing that I find interesting about CLT is how many signs there are to get there from 74. You pass at least 4 places where they have the little airplane symbol on a sign letting you know you can turn there to get to the airport. It was very confusing when I first moved here.

I like to use what I call the back way from 74, you cut in front of all the traffic coming from the main entrance.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 AM

364 posts, read 483,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
One thing that I find interesting about CLT is how many signs there are to get there from 74. You pass at least 4 places where they have the little airplane symbol on a sign letting you know you can turn there to get to the airport. It was very confusing when I first moved here.

I like to use what I call the back way from 74, you cut in front of all the traffic coming from the main entrance.
I take it you mean Westinghouse? It's only way I go now. 485 to Westinghouse. Right, left, then right......or sometimes just Right, then straight......to park and watch the planes take off/land.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
I take it you mean Westinghouse? It's only way I go now. 485 to Westinghouse. Right, left, then right......or sometimes just Right, then straight......to park and watch the planes take off/land.
I go down ***redacted*** and it goes ***redacted*** after you turn ***redacted***. From there you can turn ***redacted***.

Last edited by bs13690; 08-19-2009 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: