Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I have lived people think the same things:

1. No one uses turn signals
2. Others drive like maniacs

I am 100% certain that people drive slower around here and are more polite about signaling and letting you merge into another lane than in NOVA or CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
LOL Native-I come from Miami so its pretty calm compared to down there. However, I'll be in Miami crazy driving mode soon so I can get back in the swing of things before I head back down so beware!
Everything is tame here compared to South Florida! I was so happy not to be fighting that every day that it took me a good year before the drivers here started aggravating me. And when I go back, I am mellow for a few months when I get back home.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM

241 posts, read 891,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Hardly anyone in Charlotte is from Charlotte, so you can't blame us locals.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Lol.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:03 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
The thing that gets me the most is people who drive 10mph under the speed limit on side roads. It doesn't bother me so much if I am going to a store, but hate it when going to work.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Hardly anyone in Charlotte is from Charlotte, so you can't blame us locals.
I didn't get the impression anyone was blaming locals. It's Charlotte drivers in general, which of course includes a lot of people from many places.

I just got back from running errands on Hwy 51 and lo and behold someone in front of me suddenly slowed down, then braked, then came to a crawl (which left me wondering what the heck he was doing) and then finally turned his car...ever so slowly...into McDonald's without a turn signal. I was right behind him. GRRR!!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM

27 posts, read 97,691 times
Default the horn just pisses people off

compared to south jersey, Charlotte is easy to drive...but why, why are you all so angry on the road??

Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneperson123 View Post
compared to south jersey, Charlotte is easy to drive...but why, why are you all so angry on the road??
Funny that you say that, I notice that people DON'T use their horns as much as I am used to. I have been in a couple situations where I accidentally cut someone off and couldn't figure out why the people weren't honking at me. At the very least, to warn me they are back there.

Maybe I just have rose colored glasses since coming to "The Promised Land"

Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
As a native who has been driving here for almost 40 years I would say speed is a big problem. You see a little of every type of driver here, From those coming in from small towns who are afraid to drive and make sudden stops etc to the folks who think everyone is suppose to drive fast and aggressive. A real big problem here is the thousands of "non citizen drivers" who have no insurance, no real name no license and dont know how to drive who WILL WRECK YOU AND THEN RUN AWAY....(SEE recent news story of former state football star killed this week end and the drunk alien ran away.......very commom. Plus every girl 16 and over with a cell phone/texting has to use it and try to drive.This is one reason the yellow pages have listed hundreds of accident lawyers working the charlotte area.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Yeah, the morons get to me sometimes too.

I've found that living close to my office prevents most of my frustrations though. My ~10 minute round-trip commute does wonders for my blood pressure.

But I still wish I had some 50-caliber side-mounted cannons on my car to take out the following:

1) Lane weasels. You guys suck. Seriously.
2) Non-signalers. Tell us where you're going already. If you have any f****** clue yourself.
3) Left-lane slowpokes. The left lane is for passing only. Not for you to camp out at 55 MPH, I don't care what the speed limit is, move your ass to the right lane.
4) Driving and texting. You might as well be blindfolded... and then shot.
5) Random brakers. Why are you applying the brakes? You're doing it wrong.
6) Tailgaters. I see you. And if you hit me from behind I'm going to beat you. in traffic.

I'll add: People who slow down when trying to merge (or even come to a complete stop)

Also, people that almost stop completely to look around when taking a right turn on green.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 25,492 times
Are u dreaming?? People don't drive 10 mph here no even when the car is in the driveway on they own homes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte