Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:06 PM

182 posts, read 440,314 times

Advertisements

Auto Insurance companies have these plans, as well. They cost much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phugia View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm looking at purchasing a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5S. The dealership offers extented warranty for 5 years or 100,000 at $1,400. Should I buy extented warranty?
Thanks for your input.
1. I'd never own another Nissan without one. (Actually, I'd never own another Nissan, but that's your call. By far, the worst car I have ever owned was a Nissan in terms of quality. People make the mistake of lumping Nissan in with Honda and Toyota and assume the quality is the same. Wrong! On many models, the quality is no better than similar Ford or GM models however the repair parts and service are just as expensive as Honda and Toyota. Then again, I know a guy who had the exact same Nissan model and year and he got over 200K out of it. Nissan's quality is hit or miss. Wow, I just ranted a little... I liked it! )

2. Don't buy the warranty from the dealer. You can shop around until your factory warranty runs out. You'll get it cheaper, and you'll have time to determine how much you like the car and how many problems you have during the factory warranty period. If it's a great car, buy an extended warranty from another company. If not, sell or trade the car before the factory warranty period is over and don't waste money on the extended warranty.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I like the peace of mind. I bought the extended warranty on both of my Subarus. I used it when I ran down the battery by forgetting to turn off the dome light at night then didn't drive for 2 days and again when I accidently left the parking lights on all night/day. I transferred what was left of the first one onto the 2nd car. The lights were my stupidity but it helped not to have to pay for the jump start. (no neighbors were home to help).

Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
We bought the extended warranty on the 06 Scion box we purchased a couple of months ago. Bought car with 50k miles and its extended to 100k. Plus we got it already with equity in it so its just another bonus for me when I sell it.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
I have a carmax extended warranty, good for another 20000 miles. Paid about 1500 for it, and already used it to have the rear end rebuilt. Had the work done at Ford, their bill was just under 1000.00 and I only had to pay 50.00. So no I have not completely gotten my moneys worth yet, but still a long way to go and no worries about anything failing!

Old 08-25-2009, 02:08 PM

87 posts, read 342,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Does it cover parts and labor?

When we bought our new Honda, the guy asked if we wanted the extended warranty. I asked "Well I thought Hondas were reliable, you mean it's gonna break down after 3 years? Then I don't want the car. I'll go buy a Toyota then."

The sales guy was stammering and stuttering after that.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
1. I'd never own another Nissan without one. (Actually, I'd never own another Nissan, but that's your call. By far, the worst car I have ever owned was a Nissan in terms of quality. People make the mistake of lumping Nissan in with Honda and Toyota and assume the quality is the same. Wrong! On many models, the quality is no better than similar Ford or GM models however the repair parts and service are just as expensive as Honda and Toyota. Then again, I know a guy who had the exact same Nissan model and year and he got over 200K out of it. Nissan's quality is hit or miss. Wow, I just ranted a little... I liked it! )

2. Don't buy the warranty from the dealer. You can shop around until your factory warranty runs out. You'll get it cheaper, and you'll have time to determine how much you like the car and how many problems you have during the factory warranty period. If it's a great car, buy an extended warranty from another company. If not, sell or trade the car before the factory warranty period is over and don't waste money on the extended warranty.
Why would you buy an extended warranty when most cars are under a usual 10/100K warranty anyway. Forget it. They are a rip off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte