Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I was in the position to buy back at the beginning of the year. Closed April 30th by purchasing an inventory home from a builder that needed to unload it. Locked in a 4.5% rate.

Got my free 8K by the end of June from the government, which I was able to bank and would provide 7 months of mortgage payments if dedicated solely to that, probably 4 months of living & mortgage expenses.

My alternative was accepting that my old apartment complex wanted to raise my rent 50 dollars a month which was only a hundred dollars less than my mortgage which included taxes and home owner's insurance.

It certainly isn't advisable for everyone, but four months later I'm comfortable with my decision and am loving my new house.

Wise move all the way around for you - congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM

285 posts, read 800,462 times
ITA mountains, Congrats!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
There is no blanket correct answer in this situation as Ani has stated before. It all depends on your individual situation.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
There is no blanket correct answer in this situation as Ani has stated before. It all depends on your individual situation.
And that there is the best answer I have seen in this thread.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:11 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
You know I was thinking of responding to this thread when I first saw it this morning, but then saw the comment about realtors and thought maybe I'd better back off and see where the thread leads. Anyway, most of you posted what I was thinking -- there is no right answer that applies to every person. For some renting will be better for the time being, for others I truly believe it is a good time to buy. Interest rates are low, some buyers can take advantage of an $8,000 tax credit, there are some other tax benefits to buying...

These are potential financial advantages for some buyers -- IMO the tax credit and interest rates are big ones. Others may not be so tangible, such as a sense of community and place to raise your family.

Of course prices could drop further. I don't have a crystal ball (and neither does anyone else I don't think) so nobody really knows. But the only thing any of us can do is evaluate the situation at this point in time and make the best decision for you right now. If you are so worried about property values dropping further that you can't sleep at night, then it probably is not the right time for you to buy. But for others, it truly is a good opportunity.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
And that there is the best answer I have seen in this thread.
Look, I don't want anyone to take my statement as saying I'm against owning a home. I'm not. It was the best thing for my family to do (purchasing a home). However, just because rates are low and prices have fallen, it still might not be the best time for certain situations. Heck, last year we had people on here screaming that back then was the best time to buy.....

Let me repeat, it depends on your INDIVIDUAL situation...

Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I don't have a crystal ball (and neither does anyone else I don't think)
If I did have a crystal ball, I would have won the 250 Million Powerball

Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
and chicken little thought the sky was falling...
No, the only difference here is I got nothin' to lose by not buying a house. Renting is typically cheaper even if your home maintains its value.

Quote:
As you go to a lower price home the chances of losing more money on devaluation than you'd throw away with rent (~$36K over 3 years!!!) obviously gets smaller and smaller. Personally I'd rather lose $15K on my house than pay a property owner $36K to pay HIS mortgage...
Thing is, Native, I'm renting at about a 1996-level price, whereas if I buy, I'm buying at a 2009-level price. That's the key there, that you're leaving out of your little calculation. I'm piggybacking on somebody else's cheap mortgage.

There are about a dozen other holes in your little calculation, but I'll leave it at that. The faster my ignorant peers go out there and load up on debt, the faster we'll all figure out that there aren't enough buyers to support current prices.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 PM

13 posts, read 22,042 times
Charlotte North Carolina Real Estate Blog

Interesting numbers here.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
No, the only difference here is I got nothin' to lose by not buying a house. Renting is typically cheaper even if your home maintains its value.

Thing is, Native, I'm renting at about a 1996-level price, whereas if I buy, I'm buying at a 2009-level price. That's the key there, that you're leaving out of your little calculation. I'm piggybacking on somebody else's cheap mortgage.

There are about a dozen other holes in your little calculation, but I'll leave it at that. The faster my ignorant peers go out there and load up on debt, the faster we'll all figure out that there aren't enough buyers to support current prices.

lighten up Francis. we have fun. it doesn't take Sir Isaac Newton to figure out there was a real estate bubble so don't go awarding yourself the Fields Medal just yet.

I don't purport to know diddly-squat about you or your dilapidated flophouse. I'm glad to hear it's working out for you though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte