Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I would like to say Hello to everyone, long time reader first time poster.

I have lived most of my life in Hawaii, and the last 5 years near Portland Oregon. I am a mid aged male.

I am in the commercial HVAC &R trade (A/C, heating and refrigeration) and have been in the business for 30 years.

I'm of Spanish descent, but cant speak the language.
I don't really look Hispanic nor could I pass for white.

Like others who have posted on this board, I ponder the grass greener?

I have never set foot in NC, but based on "you'alls" input here on this forum, I now have Charlotte on my radar as the next stop.

I loved Hawaii growing up, but I got Island fever. I felt like the movie ground hog day. The ocean became nothing to me except prison bars.

My move to the "Main land" landed me in sunny Oregon J/K.
I bought myself a Prius and drove like a fool for the first 3 years!
I have run out of places to drive to and I got to say, working here was much harder then Hawaii. Working on equipment thats almost as old as I am, in some of the lousiest weather possible has been no fun at all.

OK, enough about me, now for my question.

I don't think I will have any problems finding a good paying job in Charlotte, so money probably wont be an issue. Will have 100k to put down on a house if things go well.

I don't have any friends or family in NC and found out after living in Oregon for 5 years how hard it is to make new friends compared to Hawaii.
Porlanders are very friendly, but I felt like I didn't "fit in". I can only guess it's the way I looked or acted, but how can one know for sure.

I saw the way the whites were around the blacks. They were polite, but there was no chance in hell they'd be invited into there homes.
I think there may have been that same cool offness towards me as well. Also the Mexicans kept to themselves.

So, making new friends is a big concern for me.

Also, I was also wondering if there are any towns near Charlotte (within 45 mins rush hour traffic) that have a cozy home town feel, and not a urban sprawl. Here in the Portland area, its very different then my home town of Kailua Hawaii. There, you had a area that was THE town, you know, an area where the shops were. Not a strip mall then more housing then another strip mall.

Thanks for reading, and I hope my next post wont be so long.

Alikair - I would suggest you plan a visit to Charlotte and NC asap to "try it on for size" so to speak

In particular, come in late October so you can enjoy our glorious change of seasons and fall leaf show. Once you've spent a bit of time here you can make a more informed choice about a potential move here. For me, there is no place better on the whole earth than our mountains, which Charlotte offers you pretty easy access to.

Landing a job will be your toughest challenge as we have been flooded with newcomers in recent years all searching for that better way of life. It has made our job market very tight and crowded. But hey, what do you have to lose - give it a shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 AM

279 posts, read 1,085,600 times
I never mentioned the word 'paradise'. If he is gainfully employed there, he's a lot better off than many, which is the primary reason I said he should stay (at least for the present time when unemployment here in NC is over 12%). Glad you are happy here.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
I never mentioned the word 'paradise'. If he is gainfully employed there, he's a lot better off than many, which is the primary reason I said he should stay (at least for the present time when unemployment here in NC is over 12%). Glad you are happy here.
Was only responding to your comment:

"no place is perfect ... but OR is the closest I've been to it"

Good luck in your move. Like I said, we will miss you around here

Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Well . . . you don't like the weather in OR for one thing . . . so living here should mean more sunlight. However, that coastline is unique, so as long as you won't miss the coast - as NC's coast is very different f/ the NW coastline . . . Our mountains here in NC are amongst the oldest in the entire world - so they are rather magical (for me, anyway). So even tho the topography here has some of the same elements as OR's, it is still not "the same." That may not mean much one way or the other to you, but thought I would mention it, lol!!

Southerners are typically social conservatives (or social moderates) whereas I have found the whole NW to have folks who are more social liberals. And of course, Charlotte is now 65% newcomers . . . and so the historic conservatism of this area has somewhat shifted. However, most of the newcomers I know who have moved here and are happy about the move are what I would call moderates or moderate-conservatives. I think this is very important to mention as OR has a very different "feel" about it b/c of the more liberal leanings in re: to such things as healthcare funding/issues. That may be something you would miss if you moved here, or it may be a welcomed change.

As for work . . . sounds to me as tho you would be able to set up your own shop - I wasn't sure if you are entrepreneurial or looking for an employer. ??? We have an over-supply in most skilled trades right now, b/c folks moved here when things were in the "boom mode" with construction. So you need to keep that in mind - but you seem confident that you will find work and with your background and experience - that could be the case- especially if you are gonna set up shop on your own. I just caution you to do your research. As Barking said - I would check directly w/ companies, as Craigslist is not always the best resource for jobs in this region. Many openings are never advertised, as folks in skilled trades are out of work and sending in resumes even without openings being listed. So just check it all out and make sure you are not jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Your wanderlust spirit would be at home here, as you would have easy access to several states to explore, once you see what you want to see here in NC. SC, TN, VA, GA are all so close by . . . and a lot of history here, as well. Just depends on what you are interested in exploring.

I think Oregon is a beautiful state with so much to offer . . . if you haven't spent time here, I am loathe to tell you that it would be the "right" move for you! It would really be best if you could visit here and see what vibes you get from the region.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 PM

440 posts, read 776,648 times
Thanks Loves, I was hoping you would reply to my post. I have read many of your messages and value your opinion!

One of the hardest things to calculate is how people will treat you.
In Hawaii, I was considered the same as the Caucasians or "Haole".
Didn't mater if I was from Spanish descent or white. it was us and them (them being the Asian or Polynesian locals) It was only after I moved to Oregon did I discover I wasn't white LOL, who knew?

I have always been treated politely here in Oregon, but at the end of the day, its me, and them.
I don't think a 1 week vacation will tell me If I would fit in, so I am not sure how to proceed.
I know I will have to drag myself out of the house more, no mater where I live for sure.
But I just don't want to move to a place where you don't see allot of mixed friendships.

Anyway sorry for the long and probably way to deep a post, was a trying day at work.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Hi Anifani821, thanks for the reply. I laughed when you mentioned the coastline. I have been in Oregon for 5 years and have never set foot in the ocean! way to cold for me, plus we have large shark food here (seals) No way I'm swimming in there buffet line.
I don't plan on running a business again, did that back home for 13 years. Good seasoned Journeyman are always in demand... especially in the beginning of summer

Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Thanks Loves, I was hoping you would reply to my post. I have read many of your messages and value your opinion!

One of the hardest things to calculate is how people will treat you.
In Hawaii, I was considered the same as the Caucasians or "Haole".
Didn't mater if I was from Spanish descent or white. it was us and them (them being the Asian or Polynesian locals) It was only after I moved to Oregon did I discover I wasn't white LOL, who knew?

I have always been treated politely here in Oregon, but at the end of the day, its me, and them.
I don't think a 1 week vacation will tell me If I would fit in, so I am not sure how to proceed.
I know I will have to drag myself out of the house more, no mater where I live for sure.
But I just don't want to move to a place where you don't see allot of mixed friendships.

Anyway sorry for the long and probably way to deep a post, was a trying day at work.

Thanks for the kind remarks, you made my day!

I know someone who lived in Hawaii for a time, something they had dreamt of doing for years. Within one year they moved back stateside - told me the prejudice against anyone non-native was just terrible, so what you are saying doesn't surprise me.

I think you would most likely be pleasantly surprised with your reception here in Charlotte. We have so many people here from some many other areas of the country, and world, that there just seems to be a place for everyone. Not to mention, in general southerners are notorious for our hospitality I still think you should plan a week long vacation to be sure of what part of the city would feel like the best fit for you though! Let me know how else I can help you.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks again Loves!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
Listen to Shamwow and stay in OR (esp. if you have a job there). DH and I moved here in Feb. '07, previously lived in southern OR, and we are moving back out asa holiday season is over. Hang in there and try to see beyond the flaws, no place is perfect ... but OR is the closest I've been to it. It may not be that to everyone, but if there's more about it you like than dislike, and esp. if you have a means of income there, you would be best advised to stay. There are so many posts on the CLT board of people who are distressed b/c they came here looking for work and cannot find it (and a good # of them move back to where they came).

P.S. as for making friends, have you truly exhausted all the possibilities? (ie. joining special interest or activity groups, like hiking clubs, book/movie clubs, or volunteering for a charity or organization) we knew no one in OR when we moved there, but my husband made a lot of friends by joining a cycling group and playing poker, and I made friends at the gym and at yoga class. Any way to put yourself in situations where you meet others w/ similar interests or concerns will help you make friends. good luck.
Thanks for your input Nina, I will take what you and others have said to heart. I am always worried when I see someone moving in the opposite direction. I had a friend who left Hawaii and told me all the time how great it was in Seattle, then the month I was leaving, he suddenly moved back to hawaii... was a punch to the gut for me. : )

Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Alikair, if your work takes you outside a lot, and you're able to land a job, the weather here is very good to do that, compared to OR...though in summer it will be much hotter than OR or even HI, as Portland very rarely gets much above 80 from what I understand, low to mid 90s is pretty normal in summer here (though this summer has been substantially cooler than normal)...I would think A/C and HVAC work here would remain pretty constant b/c even if building completely stops, there are many buildings here that probably have a lot of maintanence work to do...I would further Love's idea that you come visit here first...and while doing that, maybe go check out some of the other metro areas in both Carolinas (like Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro-Winston Salem, & Asheville in NC and Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville-Spartaburg in SC)...Asheville and Charleston are a bit more progressive than Charlotte, and Greenville-Spartaburg and Greensboro-Winston Salem seem to be a bit more conservative minded...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte