Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM

440 posts, read 777,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Alikair, if your work takes you outside a lot, and you're able to land a job, the weather here is very good to do that, compared to OR...though in summer it will be much hotter than OR or even HI, as Portland very rarely gets much above 80 from what I understand, low to mid 90s is pretty normal in summer here (though this summer has been substantially cooler than normal)...I would think A/C and HVAC work here would remain pretty constant b/c even if building completely stops, there are many buildings here that probably have a lot of maintanence work to do...I would further Love's idea that you come visit here first...and while doing that, maybe go check out some of the other metro areas in both Carolinas (like Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro-Winston Salem, & Asheville in NC and Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville-Spartaburg in SC)...Asheville and Charleston are a bit more progressive than Charlotte, and Greenville-Spartaburg and Greensboro-Winston Salem seem to be a bit more conservative minded...
My original choice was Asheville, because of the whitewater rivers near by, but I don't think there is enough work there for a journeyman + I heard strange things about the people there from this forum. That being said. If I moved to Charlotte I would buy a RV and spend the weekends there. The town looks beautiful and reminds me of my town of Kailua HI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 PM

Ohioninsc, I don't believe I will have problems with the NC weather. I am use to high humidity from living in Hawaii and as long as there isn't to many 100 degree days I will be OK.
While I was on my vacation to Miami and Orlando this year, It was 95+ the whole week and very humid. That was a bit much for sure. I hear the weather will be better then FLA.

I talked to a friend last night from Hawaii and she mentioned how much she loved Asheville and she would move there in a second. When I asked her about Charlotte she didn't have much to say. she use Charlotte for the airport and didn't give it or any other NC area a second glance. I found that quite odd.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Ohioninsc, I don't believe I will have problems with the NC weather. I am use to high humidity from living in Hawaii and as long as there isn't to many 100 degree days I will be OK.
While I was on my vacation to Miami and Orlando this year, It was 95+ the whole week and very humid. That was a bit much for sure. I hear the weather will be better then FLA.

I talked to a friend last night from Hawaii and she mentioned how much she loved Asheville and she would move there in a second. When I asked her about Charlotte she didn't have much to say. she use Charlotte for the airport and didn't give it or any other NC area a second glance. I found that quite odd.
Well, I don't find it odd. Charlotte is business-oriented and a nice clean city to raise your family in . . . but Asheville is a "destination." Charlotte is pretty as far as tree lined streets, neat neighborhoods, good retail and restaurants, but our mountains are really beautiful. So I can totally see why your friend said that.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM

Can anyone recommend a town in Charlotte / burbs that is less then 45 mins travel to Charlotte central, and has a town feel to it and not just sprawl and strip malls?

I guess I should say, she there any place like Asheville that is near Charlotte?

Until I can make it there I will have to use goggle earth to get a look at different neighborhoods.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 PM

Is it fair to say Asheville is a nice place to visit, but not to live there?
I think it may not be a big enough city to support high paying jobs plus your to far away from malls and stuff?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:28 PM

+1

Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
+1
So how are your plans for the move coming along?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Hey Loves! Good to hear from you again. The plans are still on the drawing board.
Places in the running are still Charlotte, Asheville, Knoxville and now added Greenville SC.
I still need to learn more about these cities before I take my vacation and visit.
Unfortunately, It may in up being in the winter months when I come have a look.
Not sure if driving from Ashevill to knoxville is possible in winter?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,236 times
Quote:
I would like to say Hello to everyone, long time reader first time poster.

I have lived most of my life in Hawaii, and the last 5 years near Portland Oregon. I am a mid aged male.

I am in the commercial HVAC &R trade (A/C, heating and refrigeration) and have been in the business for 30 years.

I'm of Spanish descent, but cant speak the language.
I don't really look Hispanic nor could I pass for white.

Like others who have posted on this board, I ponder the grass greener?

I have never set foot in NC, but based on "you'alls" input here on this forum, I now have Charlotte on my radar as the next stop.

I loved Hawaii growing up, but I got Island fever. I felt like the movie ground hog day. The ocean became nothing to me except prison bars.

My move to the "Main land" landed me in sunny Oregon J/K.
I bought myself a Prius and drove like a fool for the first 3 years!
I have run out of places to drive to and I got to say, working here was much harder then Hawaii. Working on equipment thats almost as old as I am, in some of the lousiest weather possible has been no fun at all.

OK, enough about me, now for my question.

I don't think I will have any problems finding a good paying job in Charlotte, so money probably wont be an issue. Will have 100k to put down on a house if things go well.

I don't have any friends or family in NC and found out after living in Oregon for 5 years how hard it is to make new friends compared to Hawaii.
Porlanders are very friendly, but I felt like I didn't "fit in". I can only guess it's the way I looked or acted, but how can one know for sure.

I saw the way the whites were around the blacks. They were polite, but there was no chance in hell they'd be invited into there homes.
I think there may have been that same cool offness towards me as well. Also the Mexicans kept to themselves.

So, making new friends is a big concern for me.

Also, I was also wondering if there are any towns near Charlotte (within 45 mins rush hour traffic) that have a cozy home town feel, and not a urban sprawl. Here in the Portland area, its very different then my home town of Kailua Hawaii. There, you had a area that was THE town, you know, an area where the shops were. Not a strip mall then more housing then another strip mall.

Thanks for reading, and I hope my next post wont be so long.
Portland / Hawaii

I moved here 1 and a half years ago from Southern Cal. I spent my entire childhood in Hawaii (Kaneohe Kahalu) and I will tell you that I still miss Hawaii that will never fade.

I think for the most part it will be easier for anyone that grew up in the islands. In the islands we learn Aloha and bring it everywhere we go.

There are cute little areas to hang out in the evening and plenty to do.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Hey Loves! Good to hear from you again. The plans are still on the drawing board.
Places in the running are still Charlotte, Asheville, Knoxville and now added Greenville SC.
I still need to learn more about these cities before I take my vacation and visit.
Unfortunately, It may in up being in the winter months when I come have a look.
Not sure if driving from Ashevill to knoxville is possible in winter?

Hi Alikair Driving from Asheville to Knoxville is a beautiful drive thru some rugged terrain. It can be done in the winter, as long as you don't try to do it during a snowstorm. They will close the interstate when it gets bad enough, but that's not more than a few times a year.

I think you are smart to check out Greenville, SC too - that little city has a lot going for it and is very nice.

Good luck with your continued research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte