Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM

148 posts, read 574,477 times

Advertisements

Is it generally acceptable or unacceptable to take a child to a HOA meeting? I would like to attend my first HOA meeting and had planned to take my almost 4 yr old, but my neighbor was saying she wanted to go, if she could find someone to watch her boys. I'm not sure if she wants to find a sitter because they are rambunctious or if it's just not general practice to take kids along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
I have taken one, or both of my daughters at a similar age.

The question is can the child be quiet, self entertained (color, draw), & generally well behaved for an hour or more in a 'business' environment.

If you can answer 'yes', then you should be absolutely fine, don't worry about the other adults.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM

539 posts, read 1,498,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I have taken one, or both of my daughters at a similar age.

The question is can the child be quiet, self entertained (color, draw), & generally well behaved for an hour or more in a 'business' environment.

If you can answer 'yes', then you should be absolutely fine, don't worry about the other adults.
Ditto. A board meeting is exactly what it sounds like. There is official business reguarding the neightborhood going on. If you can keep your child quiet and seated for more than 1 hr, it should not be an issue, but I can tell you thsat most of our meetings run close to 3 hrs. But you also do not need to stay for the entire lenght. If you can get a sitter go for it. Getting involved in your HOA is never a bad thing and by attending meetings is a good first step.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Yes, what Mullman says goes. My wife and I are the president and secretary of our HOA. We have no problem with kids just so they are quiet and don't cause interruptions.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times
Agree with the other posters. As long as they can entertain themselves and your not interrupting the meeting by talking to them you should be fine. Where is the meeting being held? If it is at a Board Members house, you may want to check with them first also.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 AM

148 posts, read 574,477 times
Thanks for all the responses. It was at a church and there were SEVERAL children there. They all sat in the back and watched a dvd someone's mom had for her kids. The younger ones colored. I brought crayons and activity sheets for my daughter that she didn't even use.

I guess since we are still a new community, the board hasn't been turned over to the HOA yet, so there was only the rep from the management company there giving info and trying to answer questions. I'm glad I went and it seems like we have some great neighbors who really care about the neighborhood. We were all crammed in a small room, and the management company rep was saying he had no idea there would be that many people there. I guess the last meeting there were like 10 people, this time I think there were over 50.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
They can become heated, you need all your concentration on what is being discussed, it is your money you know!
If I was wealthy back in the day I would have hired a lawyer to go to mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte