Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgandy View Post
Are channel's 3,5,11,14,31,33, and 57 inciting fear as well?
No...of course not...news channels never take stories and make a bigger deal out of them than they truly warrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 PM

79 posts, read 217,507 times
The news channels were citing a medical study released yesterday. While I am sure they added a certain glamor to their words, a medical study is a medical study. I, for one (and obviously one of the only one's out there) appreciate any information the medical community can give me about this virus.

Now, does anyone have a FACT they can give me about Char-Meck? or any other school system's policy on H1N1?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 AM

830 posts, read 1,532,053 times
Medical studies are like statistics...you can find one to say pretty much anything. I haven't seen anything recently that would give me any more cause for concern.

"Feed you kids this"..."No wait, don't feed your kids this"..."No wait, feed your kids this in moderation"...

To me, this is like pretty much everything else. Use common sense and you and your kids should be fine. You can't protect against every possible scenario, and will drive yourself crazy trying to do so.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,070,651 times
Quote:
Now, does anyone have a FACT they can give me about Char-Meck? or any other school system's policy on H1N1?
It's right on their web page. They are following CDC guidelines.
Information on H1N1 (Swine Flu)
Quote:
As with any virus, cold or other illness, students and staff with fever, sore throat, cough, body aches, chills and fatigue should be kept home from school until they have recovered. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) states that individuals should stay home until they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication
The UCPS web page is linking directly to the CDC pages, I assume their policy will be the same.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:41 AM

203 posts, read 496,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
responsible adults
You're asking for quite a bit here...

Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Most cases of swine flu have caused mild illness. The overwhelming majority of people who have died from this are over 65.

The median age of H1N1 deaths in the US is 9 years of age.

Fox news: "Through Aug. 8, there were 477 total swine flu deaths, including 36 in children.
Only about 20 percent of those children were age 4 or younger. That's unusual: Often 50 percent or more of seasonal flu deaths are in infants and toddlers, who have less mature immune systems and smaller air passages and are generally in more danger from respiratory infections.
"There's a lot of school-aged children" in the death count, said Dr. Beth Bell, a CDC epidemiologist who is a leader in the agency's swine flu response efforts."

Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Medical studies are like statistics...you can find one to say pretty much anything. I haven't seen anything recently that would give me any more cause for concern.

"Feed you kids this"..."No wait, don't feed your kids this"..."No wait, feed your kids this in moderation"...

To me, this is like pretty much everything else. Use common sense and you and your kids should be fine. You can't protect against every possible scenario, and will drive yourself crazy trying to do so.
I am not trying to protect my children against "every possible scenario". I would, however, love to hold this virus off until vaccinations are available.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,070,651 times
Quote:
I am not trying to protect my children against "every possible scenario". I would, however, love to hold this virus off until vaccinations are available.
Good luck then. It's going to be a month or so until the vaccine is widely available and a few more weeks until the vaccine is fully effective. With 2 kids in the class diagnosed already (if that's what they have) chances may not be in your favor.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,741,916 times
Quote:

Fox news: "Through Aug. 8, there were 477 total swine flu deaths, including 36 in children.
Only about 20 percent of those children were age 4 or younger. That's unusual: Often 50 percent or more of seasonal flu deaths are in infants and toddlers, who have less mature immune systems and smaller air passages and are generally in more danger from respiratory infections.
"There's a lot of school-aged children" in the death count, said Dr. Beth Bell, a CDC epidemiologist who is a leader in the agency's swine flu response efforts."
Again, you proved my point which I will say again slowly for the THIRD time. Majority of deaths DO NOT HAPPEN in children.

Stop w/your obv fear mongering of this thing already! Jeez

Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,324,321 times
Quote:

Only about 20 percent of those children were age 4 or younger.
How is the median age of deaths 9 when only 36 out of 477 deaths are from Children? Thats less than 10% are children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte