Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM

79 posts, read 217,349 times

Advertisements

H1N1 has hit Union County. My concern is the school system doesn't seem to be taking it seriously enough! My child was sent home with a letter stating "more than one case of INFLUENZA has been diagnosed in your students classroom". It goes on to give flu symptoms and then says "If your student has not received a Flu vaccine, it may not be too late to get one".

I called the school and asked if the children had tested positive for Type A influenza and the answer was yes. I expressed concern about my child being exposed to Swine Flu and was given a less than satisfying answer. I continued asking questions and was told that these children are being allowed to return to school 24 hours post fever. CDC guidelines are confusing they say don't return to work for 7 days but kids can go back to school after 1?

Oh, also told the only place doing actual H1N1 tests is the Union Co Health Dept?

I guess I expected more from the school system and am trying to decide if my kids will be staying home for a while.

Can anyone comment as to Char-Mecks reaction to H1N1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
If you are this paranoid I expect your kids will be staying home quite a bit this school year.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM

I do happen to be slightly more concerned than most, thanks for asking. We have two members of our family that are severe asthmatics and on steroids (suppress immune system).

Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Fox news just said H1N1 has been found to remain infectious longer than expected:

Approx 20% of people were still contagious after 8 days
and some have been found to be infectious up to 12 days

So 1 day isn't going to cut it!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgandy View Post
H1N1 has hit Union County. My concern is the school system doesn't seem to be taking it seriously enough! My child was sent home with a letter stating "more than one case of INFLUENZA has been diagnosed in your students classroom". It goes on to give flu symptoms and then says "If your student has not received a Flu vaccine, it may not be too late to get one".

I called the school and asked if the children had tested positive for Type A influenza and the answer was yes. I expressed concern about my child being exposed to Swine Flu and was given a less than satisfying answer. I continued asking questions and was told that these children are being allowed to return to school 24 hours post fever. CDC guidelines are confusing they say don't return to work for 7 days but kids can go back to school after 1?

Oh, also told the only place doing actual H1N1 tests is the Union Co Health Dept?

I guess I expected more from the school system and am trying to decide if my kids will be staying home for a while.

Can anyone comment as to Char-Mecks reaction to H1N1?
May I ask what school it is?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,936 times
As a Mother to a child who has severe lung damage due to prematurity this terrifies me. What school was this from? I am in Union County but got nothing in any form informing me of this.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 PM

The letter was sent only to classmate's families from what I understand.

Rea View

Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 PM

172 posts, read 465,606 times
There is no way to contain this. People will not stay home for 7-10 days. Really all you can do is teach your children to wash hands often.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:35 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
I just got over the flu (w/Tamiflu).

You feel like garbage for 5 days. Rest up, have good ole chicken soup and you'll be fine...not the end of the world.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgandy View Post
The letter was sent only to classmate's families from what I understand.

Rea View

Uh-oh...guess it is only a matter of time. Does anyone know if children can take tamiflu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte