Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,892 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of on a kick refinishing our own furniture instead of buying new right now. I have a couple of chairs and a small loveseat I'd love to reupholster, but I want to learn how to do it myself. I've read that it isn't rocket science, but it does take patience and a little formal training.

Anyone know if there's a place in Charlotte that offers classes in reupholstering furniture? I tried Googling CPCC but didn't find anything. Not sure where else to look. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Many years ago I found a how-to video at our local library. It was very detailed and informative. I watched it at least 4 times through and had planned to get a piece of furniture at Good Will or yard sale and use an inexpensive fabric as a practice piece. I ended up doing fitted slipcovers instead.

If you can't find a class I'd look for a DVD or book to start.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:33 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,892 times
Thanks NCyank. I found this one near Carowinds, but the beginner class will require me to take a week off work and cost $1592!

http://www.chfschool.com

I've got to think that a community or regional college must teach this trade. Surely, so close to the furniture capital of the country, we've got to have a variety of options somewhere. My Google-fu is failing me, however. I may have to go the DVD route, didn't think of that one. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
I have a cousin that was self taught who ran a successful business doing this for years. He basically learned by getting some yard sale furniture and "de-upholstering" it. It doesn't appear to be that hard as he said once that cutting the pattern out of the new material was the hard part and even that is made easier if you have the old one to work with.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Thanks NCyank. I found this one near Carowinds, but the beginner class will require me to take a week off work and cost $1592!

Custom Home Furnishings Academy | Drapery School | Drapery Classes | Window Treatment Installation | Slipcovers | Home Decor Design & Upholstery

I've got to think that a community or regional college must teach this trade. Surely, so close to the furniture capital of the country, we've got to have a variety of options somewhere. My Google-fu is failing me, however. I may have to go the DVD route, didn't think of that one. Thanks.
I agree....
If you were going to go into business it might make sense to take such a class but I'd be in favor of the self taught method if you are going to be doing this as a hobby rather than for an income.
Have fun!!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,645 times
I too am looking for an upholstery class as I want to reupholster 2 arm chairs by Thomasville, very good quality. They are so comfortable that I don't want to get rid of them. I've done dining room chairs and they turned out to be very professional, but doing an entire stuffed chair would mean taking some classes. Doing it myself would be very rewarding. CPCC used to offer a class, but I don't find any now. Anyone with some information would be helpful.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM

95 posts, read 163,069 times
I honestly would suggest you start on YouTube.. There are a number of tutorials that you could find helpful.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Pinterest has so many tutorials and videos that folks have uploaded in re: to upholstering furniture. I have a whole board dedicated to do-it-yourself upholstering.

SO I agree with others . . . there are excellent tutorials, guides and step by step videos out there.

Go for it!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
Surely, so close to the furniture capital of the country, we've got to have a variety of options somewhere.

When did Indonesia and the Filippines move to North Carolina?The furniture industry in NC is nearly dead.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
Reupholstery Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C. is hiring craftsman to sew and upholster. Our craftsman have over 40 years experience. If you feel you have a love and talent for this work we will
train you with the goal of full time employment. Our tag line is renew, restore, refresh. Let us help you do that with your career. Please contact Mac Asay at [email]Reupholsterycharlotte@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte